My eyeballs are ready to pop out!
I've never had any trouble with my sinuses until the last week or so (unless you count the brief few years I had wicked allergies when I was a child, which were more or less cured due to intensive rounds of injections). I've been battling a bit of a cold lately, but it really flared up in the worst way yesterday.

I now have one hell of a sinus cold. My whole face hurts from the built-up pressure, right from my cheeks up to my forehead. It feels like someone is slowly inflating a ball behind my eyeballs. I'm scared that they might pop out of their sockets any second now.

Being such a newbie to sinus congestion, I'm seeking advice on how to relieve the pressure. I've been taking some daytime cold relief pills, which help somewhat, but I'm sure that there are better options out there.

Share me your wisdom.
An amputation cures most 'bout anything. Except migranes.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Apr 15 2004, 11:25 PM Wrote:An amputation cures most 'bout anything. Except migranes.
Don't be stupid. If I amputated my head I'd have nowhere to place my extensive collection of hats when I'm out on the town.

I'm considering less extreme measures, like drilling a 1/8" hole directly into my cheekbones and sucking the buildup of sinus fluid out with a bendy straw.
Quote:I now have one hell of a sinus cold. My whole face hurts from the built-up pressure, right from my cheeks up to my forehead. It feels like someone is slowly inflating a ball behind my eyeballs. I'm scared that they might pop out of their sockets any second now.

When my allergies are out of control and it feels like my face is on the verge of blowing up, I do three things:

1) Mutter obscenities

2) Realize muttering obscenities makes me seem crazy, so I shout them instead. Then it sounds like I'm having an angry conversation with someone.

3) Take pain medication. Something with "Naproxen Sodium" in it (anti-inflammation pain medication). The box might say "Take one or two." One does squat; take two. This stuff battles my allergy agony better than any allergy meds. And it doesn't put me to sleep. It pisses me off when pain meds put you to sleep so they don't have to do any actual work. "Oh, this relieves pain ... because you're not awake to feel it."

Anyway, that's what helps me.

-Lemmy
I had that two months ago. A definite 11 on the misery scale, and it lasted longer than any cold I can remember.

The cold was quickly followed by a sinus infection which came on quickly and within a week it was so bad my teeth hurt. I went willingly to the clinic and the doc prescribed a mega dose of some antibiotic -- I took the full 10 day course and it was mostly gone. It took a couple days before the pressure was completely off my psiatic nerve. To keep the sinuses clear I used Psuedoephedrine. I prefer Nyquil and Dayquil, but many products will offer the same amount of symptom control. Health is provided by rest, good food, liquids, vitamins -- boosting your immune system. My wife uses echinachia elder and some other very vile tea which seems to work for her.

You have my empathy and sympathy.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I have spring allergies -- when the air is green from the pollination of every plant in the forest. The cars get covered with a lime green haze. I never had allergies as a child, but I think the constant exposure I had working hay as an adolescent makes me more susceptible now. The doc says I'm mildly allergic to trees and grass. So, it's just nature I abhor. :D

This year I'm contemplating an OTC antihistimine regime like Clarinex or Claritin -- at least for the month of May.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

When the alien larvae growing in your sinus cavities burst out through your nose, can I have your stuff?
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Rhydderch Hael,Apr 16 2004, 05:25 AM Wrote:An amputation cures most 'bout anything. Except migranes.
And tonsillitis.
Hot Jamaican Ginger Beer. Stuff made by Goya works, but, there is much better tasting brew. Ginger, lots of ginger, will burn that stuff right out, clear congestion, and prolly most of the infection as well. Ginger flushes your system out right quick.

Habenaros. The Devil's Fruit. If you can muster up the manhood, sit down and eat a bright orange habenaro with just the faintest tinge of yellow in the skin. You will in a short time, be blessedly free of snot... It will all melt away like candle wax.

Garlic. Lots of garlic. Eat a clove or two.

Find Menthol crystals. Add them to the hottest bathwater you can find. Soak.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
kandrathe,Apr 16 2004, 12:39 AM Wrote:This year I'm contemplating an OTC antihistimine regime like Clarinex or Claritin -- at least for the month of May.
Random thought of the day...

Do you know how the makers of claritin (Schering-Plough) made sure they could get a claim of "non-sedating" for their drug? They made sure the max dose indicated by the lebeling was at the bottom of the therapeutic range, so you only get a small concentration of the drug in your system, therby limiting the side-effects, but also the desired effects. This is why claritin and allegra "don't work" for some people.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hi,

I prefer an old family recipe:

2/3 cheap whiskey (you wouldn't want to ruin the good stuff like this), 1/3 fresh lemon or lime juice, sugar to taste. Heat to just about boiling and sip. Doesn't do anything for the cold, but after a while you cease to notice. :)

Long hot showers also seem to help my sinuses open up.

And remember, if carefully treated a cold goes away in seven days, if neglected, it can linger for up to a week.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Apr 16 2004, 04:54 PM Wrote:2/3 cheap whiskey (you wouldn't want to ruin the good stuff like this), 1/3 fresh lemon or lime juice, sugar to taste.  Heat to just about boiling and sip.  Doesn't do anything for the cold, but after a while you cease to notice. :)
Heh, my dad's (and grandfather's) recipe was somewhere along the lines. A hot glass of milk with a double shot of cheap brandy inside, and an aspirin.

Dangerous stuff mate.
I woke up this morning and my sinuses hurt even more than when I went to bed last night. I'm afraid I might have an infection or something that requires a visit to the doctor.

As if my day didn't start out badly enough, someone tried breaking into my car overnight. It looks like they jammed a screwdriver in the lock.

[Image: doorlock.jpg]

They didn't actually get in, which I guess is better news than having no car at all. Now I've gotta pony up $200 for a new lock cylinder.
WarLocke,Apr 15 2004, 11:14 PM Wrote:When the alien larvae growing in your sinus cavities burst out through your nose, can I have your stuff?
No goin', Kowalsky. That stereo's mine! :angry:
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
DeeBye,Apr 16 2004, 10:45 AM Wrote:... As if my day didn't start out badly enough, someone tried breaking into my car overnight.  It looks like they jammed a screwdriver in the lock. ...
Oddly enough, the two times that my sister's car has been broken into occured only when she was bedridden with a respiratory ailment.
Hi everyone :D I am new here but thougth I would give you a little advice on your sinus problems. I work at a family practice office and what we tell our patients to do is to do saline nasal washes. I know, sounds gross but it works. You can also try taking an otc decongestant such as sudafed. Lots of steam should work to. If you have a humidifier I would use that with some vicks liquid made especially for humidifer's. That seems to really open sinuses up. Hope you get to feeling better :D

If nothing is working I would say go see your Dr. Because it can be a sinus infection which is treated with antibiotics.
Amazon Basin Member

Us West Scl Blondebomber
Pete,Apr 16 2004, 03:54 PM Wrote:Heat to just about boiling
But doesn't that negate the "beneficial" properties of said remedy??
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I can vouge for washing, it works faster than is possible for a drug. Though I'm cheap and just fill my palm with tap water and snort it. I take the burning like a man! Sort of. :P :lol:
Hi,

Nope. It would take quite a while to boil out the alcohol. Heating the mix, especially in a microwave, just gives you a toddy.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Ah, so I can take a double dose if I'm suffering and not operating heavy equipment?