Prevent monster heal, can merc apply
ok, questions on prevent monster heal. I cant seeme to find the info I want, although it may be burried in previous posts.

Is it only applied with physical damage? Can my (any) merc apply it. Is it timed? If so how long does it last?

Dave
Mercs can't apply it. There's no timer on it if you stay near the monster, but if you leave and come back, it'll reset.
Is it only applied by physical damage?
It's only applied by "attacks".

Shockwave is a pure physical skill, but it doesn't transfer PMH. Lightning bolt is a pure elemental skill, but it does transfer PMH. So categorizing it by damage type is not meaningful.
Thanks.... where can I find a list of what skills are considered attacks and what are not considered attacks?

If there is not one, which sorc skills are attacks?

Dave
Generally, if it it uses a weapon, it's an attack. That's just a rule of thumb, though.

None of the sorc skills are considered attacks. You can't apply PMH with any of them.
None of the Sorc skills are attacks, unless you count hitting a monster with a weapon that's been Enchanted.

An easy way to think of what an attack (that adeyke refers to) is, is that it's any attack that uses your weapon to deal damage. For example, when you throw a Plaugue Javelin, the javelin that hits monsters is an attack, but the poison cloud that spreads from it isn't.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:It's only applied by "attacks".

I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) hearing that you have to do damage. So if you punch a physical immune monster and have no elemental damage, it won't be applied.
That doesn't match my experience.

I modded monsters to be immune to everything except cold. I used some cold spells on them. They regenerated. I hit them with a PMH weapon attack that didn't contain any cold damage. They stopped regenerating. The attack didn't damage the monster at all, but it still applied the PMH.
Quote:I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) hearing that you have to do damage. So if you punch a physical immune monster and have no elemental damage, it won't be applied.

I believe you are thinking of open wounds; open wounds will not trigger if there is no damage dealt. It *will* work on phys immunes if you can damage them with elemental though.
You don't have to deal damage to the monster in order to apply OW to it. However, if the monster is at full health, it doesn't regenerate at all, so the negative regeneration from OW is ignored. That means the OW will remain in a dormant state either the 8 second OW timer runs out (in which case the OW disappears) or the monster drops from full hitpoints (in which case the OW starts taking effect).

This means that a pure physical character can apply OW to a PI monster, provided that someone else manages to damage the monster (any amount will do).
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that.
PMH is part of the "ToHit" Function. It applys before the Damage Function.
PMH duration is 120000 Frames .
83+minutes ... wow that is long.

thanks myrdinn.

Is the PMH is removed if you leave the vicinity of t he monster? (i.e. going back for more pots against UBER D)?

Dave
Schuey,Apr 15 2004, 04:14 PM Wrote:Is the PMH is removed if you leave the vicinity of t he monster?  (i.e. going back for more pots against UBER D)?
My experience is that a trip to town for potions is not long enough to let him start regenerating again.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Ah, yes, open wounds. I probably got that mixed up because it was in a thread about beating the monster regeneration (I think). :)