Message boards as a method of comunication
Lets face it, the lounge is perhaps the best place for diablo information on the web.

It always seems to me that for any given subject, there is one place where the best can be found. Other good sites will link to it. Lesser sites will link perhaps to it, and those other, better sites. If you follow any given set of links you stand a favorable chance of finding your way to this 'best' location. But given the nature of the links (potentually infinatly and expoentually expanded), it can be impossibly hard to find such a place.

I am certain that the hacking comunity, or the pk comunity conciders this place one of the worst. So I know that my review, like all others, is partial. This also means that my theory breaks down when you try to expand across comunity boundries. On the other hand, if I asked about how to mod, I am certain sombody would dirrect me to the phrozen keep.

Thus it apears to me, that once you reach the top, the level of inteligance of the members (or perhaps just the social graces) is such that a given member might already have acess or knowledge of, another 'best' board for a given subject.

So, as it acomplishes another goal I was concidering posting about, lets test my theory and ataempt 2 birds with one stone.

Can sombody post a link to the best website or discussion board for animie?

Back to the first subject. Any thoughts about my conjecture? I belive the truth or untruth of it will be displayed by the quality of site that people volenteer. I have two sites I concider as canadates for 'best' from a few concentrated tests of google. Google rates with an odd method of hit count, so it's 'poppular' sites are the ones linked the most, by my preimse, the good sites are linked to heavally.
The wind has no destination.
Quote:Can sombody post a link to the best website or discussion board for animie?

Try here
concider that this was probably a joke, but it is indeed something that looks like it could be the best of it's kind.

So that proves the smart (if oddly minded) poster on this board has a smart link.
try here
There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.
- Dalai Lama
Number of times being linked to is a poor measure of a websites worth:

People can set up a number of crap websites all referencing each other, webmasters can exchange links with each other. This will fool the searchengine into thinking the site is 'good'

Wordcount of specific words is bad, as is the meta-data of what the website claims to be about, since these can both be rigged.

A real search engine would minimally require at least some form of semantic analysis of the website, but even that is ignoring graphical information.
Here's a good one.
whyBish,Apr 17 2004, 10:09 PM Wrote:Number of times being linked to is a poor measure of a websites worth:

People can set up a number of crap websites all referencing each other, webmasters can exchange links with each other.  This will fool the searchengine into thinking the site is 'good'

Wordcount of specific words is bad, as is the meta-data of what the website claims to be about, since these can both be rigged.

A real search engine would minimally require at least some form of semantic analysis of the website, but even that is ignoring graphical information.
your right, but there's no way to subectivly rate every website. There are some user mainteained and rated databases of links, but those start to look like a favorites listing after a while anyway.

If those methods i listed arn't manipulated they can work, and the sites that do pureposely take advanrage of them, would tend to be easilly spotted if it isn't up to par.
DeeBye,Apr 17 2004, 10:45 PM Wrote:Here's a good one.
a nice sence of humor. But, again, i would put money that that's the best, whatever kind of fish, site that there is to be found.
Nightwind,Apr 17 2004, 11:23 PM Wrote:your right, but there's no way to subectivly rate every website.  There are some user mainteained and rated databases of links, but those start to look like a favorites listing after a while anyway.

If those methods i listed arn't manipulated they can work, and the sites that do pureposely take advanrage of them, would tend to be easilly spotted if it isn't up to par.
You should click [Image: previewpost.png] before you post something.

I've never been one to be a speeling/gramer nazi, but I can't read anything you post without cringing.

C'mon, it only takes 30 seconds or so.