Mumble Server
Quote:Since it looks like a no go for the lounge hosting it, it looks like it'll cost $4.95 a month for 25 concurrent.

That'd be enough for Terenas anyway. We talked a bit tonight about chipping in to fund one we could use.

http://www.sabrienix.com/voice/mumble

Just FYI for Conc mostly.

What was the problem with getting mumble installed? I have web space, and I could try and get it installed there. I'm not sure how to install it, but I will take a look at it and talk to my host and see if it would even work.

Is it bandwidth intensive?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:What was the problem with getting mumble installed?

The server that the lounge would put it on has is an ancient version of Linux on it. The binary builds won't work on something that old, and Bolty is rightly concerned about installing the entire build chain to try and build it there.

Quote:Is it bandwidth intensive?

When I would play at the same time and we would use mumble, sometimes bandwidth would be a limiting factor on the sound quality. The server has to send a stream to all the clients connected. It is highly unlikely that a real hosted server would notice the bandwidth, but the upload bandwidth on my cable modem is just not quite enough.
I for one think that mumble is a big improvement over teamspeak. I'm willing to help chip in for the cost of murmur hosting.

Quote:The server that the lounge would put it on has is an ancient version of Linux on it. The binary builds won't work on something that old, and Bolty is rightly concerned about installing the entire build chain to try and build it there.
When I would play at the same time and we would use mumble, sometimes bandwidth would be a limiting factor on the sound quality. The server has to send a stream to all the clients connected. It is highly unlikely that a real hosted server would notice the bandwidth, but the upload bandwidth on my cable modem is just not quite enough.

I sent an email to my host asking if my current hosting plan would cover the use of the something like this, or if I would need to upgrade my plan. I also have them looking at it since it's an open source piece and they like to offer as many as those as possible as included 'installs'.

When they get back to me, I will let you know. I currently have 6gb of bandwidth a month, allocated, and only use 500mb on average. If I can host it and not excede 4-5gb of traffic a month, I will gladly do so for free. I am in the process of redesigning my personal site, and the new stuff will up my personal consumption some. If I have to up my plan, I would possibly still be able to cover it out of my own pocket. It would only be an extra 2 bucks a month, and the next step up in plan would actually give me some personal perks as well.

If I would have to upgrade my plan past that, it would become more than the 5 bucks a month that the other site would cost, and that's just not a good idea from an economics standpoint:)I would upgrade my account, and chip in on the 5 bucks a month and save money.

I will keep you posted on what my host has to say.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:I will keep you posted on what my host has to say.

Who is your host?
Quote:Who is your host?

Hostica.com is my host. They've been able to help me host / use / install all kinds of things, but apparently not this.

They could only support it on a dedicated server plan (even though I have a dedicated server on my package. I'm not sure the real difference in plans except mine is about 1/10th the cost). These plans are...... too much.

So, that's out. Figured it was worth a shot to see if I could do it or not.
I could switch from Ventrillo to Mumble. A 75 person server would be 2 bucks cheaper then Vent. Made in Mexico, Spanish speakers from Terenas, uses my Vent so I haven't pulled the plug yet. Could either ask them to come up with there own solution or give them a 25 player channel on a Mumble server leaving 50 for Lurker use.
Quote:Hostica.com is my host. They've been able to help me host / use / install all kinds of things, but apparently not this.

They could only support it on a dedicated server plan (even though I have a dedicated server on my package. I'm not sure the real difference in plans except mine is about 1/10th the cost). These plans are...... too much.

So, that's out. Figured it was worth a shot to see if I could do it or not.

How do you like them? I'm considering dropping my current provider like the proverbial potato.
Quote:How do you like them? I'm considering dropping my current provider like the proverbial potato.

It's a love hate relationship. They have incredibly affordable plans. They are very gracious if you go over your plan, and will work with you to make sure that things are running well. They will easily upgrade your account on the fly. They have some fantastic pre-installed software (forums, anti-spam, etc) on the back-end for you.

On the other hand, they don't have phone support, They dont' have 24/7 support, they are kind of slow getting back to you if it's not a 'dire' tech problem, and they are super strict on the pricing and payment options. The payment option isn't a big deal, but it was a change in philosophy that ended up costing me a chunk of change in 2008 because I wasn't prepared for the payment to come out 10 days early when they took it.

I pay less than 10 a month, can host 3 sites with almost limitless space, 9 subdomains, 100 or so pop3 email accounts, but I currently lack a php server.

I have them, and I had thought about changing to godaddy, but the increase in price to keep what I had wasn't worth it IMO. Check them out, I will probably have them for a long time.

EDIT: Another pro: Like with this, I sent them an email referencing what it was that I wanted to run, and asked what I would have to do to get it set up, and they looked it over, and sent me a reply. They wont pull any punches, and will tell you yes or no quickly.
Quote:The server that the lounge would put it on has is an ancient version of Linux on it. The binary builds won't work on something that old, and Bolty is rightly concerned about installing the entire build chain to try and build it there.
Nevertheless, let me see what I can do. One of the reasons I've been with my current hosting provider, ServInt, is because their support is legendarily awesome. I'm going to ping them this weekend and ask for help getting Mumble installed and see what they say. I also need to get MySQL updated and, well, there's a lot of work to be done on this admittedly ancient server.

This site is like the proverbial old fogey yelling at kids to get off his lawn...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:like the proverbial old fogey yelling at kids to get off his lawn...

-Bolty

I resemble that remark. ;)
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Quote:I resemble that remark. ;)

Yeah but in your case the kids keep coming back to hear your voice when you yell. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Yeah but in your case the kids keep coming back to hear your voice when you yell. :)
Mostly just the girls.;)
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:I could switch from Ventrillo to Mumble. A 75 person server would be 2 bucks cheaper then Vent. Made in Mexico, Spanish speakers from Terenas, uses my Vent so I haven't pulled the plug yet. Could either ask them to come up with there own solution or give them a 25 player channel on a Mumble server leaving 50 for Lurker use.

This doesn't sound like a bad option to me. I can't see us ever needing more than 50 channels. I believe Mumble is currently still running on Vor-Lord's virtual server? Are we moving to make a more permanent solution?
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Sounds like Bolty is going to try and get it working, it may just require some time.
Hi guys.., Just wanted to hear if your mumble challenge have been solved...
If not I have a Mumble server running 24/7 with room for a few ppl.. 100+
If you are interested you can just pm me Big Grin
(03-03-2011, 09:05 PM)Chaser Wrote: Hi guys.., Just wanted to hear if your mumble challenge have been solved...
If not I have a Mumble server running 24/7 with room for a few ppl.. 100+
If you are interested you can just pm me Big Grin

One of our guild members ended up springing for a paid mumble server. It's been working well for us. However, Crush may be interested in discontinuing the service if we can use yours.

(03-03-2011, 10:33 PM)PapaSmurf Wrote: One of our guild members ended up springing for a paid mumble server. It's been working well for us. However, Crush may be interested in discontinuing the service if we can use yours.
How much is he paying ?, atm I have put it on my webserver, where i'm paying 30$/month
And I can even make other Mumbleservers with own admins and so on.. Smile
Currently I am paying 7.95 a month for a 50 person capacity setup. Happy to let others use it (doubt we ever get over 20 people on). The cost is pretty cheap but if we can use your setup with no additional cost to you that would be fine. Conversly if you could save money using my access that is fine as well.
(04-09-2011, 01:22 PM)Chaser Wrote: How much is he paying ?, atm I have put it on my webserver, where i'm paying 30$/month
And I can even make other Mumbleservers with own admins and so on.. Smile

Who are you? Only 2 posts. I thought you played alliance side, but non of them have heard of you. I don't want to seem unfriendly, but it seems odd for someone with only 2 posts on the lounge offering mumble servers.