Mumble Server
Redacted IP address, didn't realize "Public Chat" was available to non-logged in folk. If interested PM me.

Hi Lurkers,

I've been experimenting with an alternative to Teamspeak, called Mumble (server is called Murmur). Some of the things I like about it over Teamspeak are:
  1. Much lower latency<>
  2. Noise filtering (removes hiss/buzz etc.)<>
  3. You can have multiple people talk at once and actually understand each other<>
  4. It's actually being developed (unlike Teamspeak 2)<>
  5. Has support for things like linked channels<>
  6. Better multi-platform support<>
    [st]If you would like to try it out you can see it at REMOVED running on the default Mumble port.

The password is the same as the Teamspeak password. Note that you can create subchannels as you wish within the Lurkers channel.

If you try it let me know what you think. Part of me hopes it works as well with larger groups as it appears to with small ones and we can twist Bolty's arm to try this instead, but without some more testing I don't even know if it is fit as a replacement.
Please try this out guys - if it's good stuff I'll have no qualms installing and running it.

The reason the Lounge server doesn't run Ventrillo is because the licensing is serious money. Teamspeak is a poor man's substitute for it, so maybe this is a good replacement.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty if you (or someone else who has access to both forums) would post the IP address on the Stormrage forum (maybe clone this) then maybe someone there will be able to try it.

The IP address is posted on the Terenas Lurkers forum post.
I used it in an online RPG game. It's a good app. Biyt iffy if the other person uses a mic and speakers instead of a headset, but I guess that applies to all voice apps. Oh, and use push to talk!:D
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Terenas used it for a 10 man tonight. Reviews were positive. One person had a problem with the sound being overdriven.

As far as promised lower latency and excellent noise filtering, I believe it delivered very well.

Here are the issues discovered so far:
  • Windows binary version doesn't support non-SSE hardware. This means people with old Athons etc. will not be able to run it without someone spending effort to get a Windows compile without SSE. This affects at least one person on Terenas. <>
  • Is harder to configure, particularly on the server side (potentially a headache for Bolty to get started)<>
  • Has a very annoying text-to-speech default client configuration. You'll want to shut that off for sure. May not be so annoying if the server has a real security certificate (yes, it reads the entire warning to you...)<>
    [st]
    I am in the process of doing a major system overhaul. Since the murmur server is running in a VM on my desktop machine, that means it will not necessarily stay online. I will try to continue to keep the server up when I can but don't be surprised if it is down.

If anyone has a specific event they would like to try it for, let me know and I'll try to keep it up if you are still interested in testing it.
Quote:Terenas used it for a 10 man tonight. Reviews were positive. One person had a problem with the sound being overdriven.

As far as promised lower latency and excellent noise filtering, I believe it delivered very well.

Here are the issues discovered so far:
  • Windows binary version doesn't support non-SSE hardware. This means people with old Athons etc. will not be able to run it without someone spending effort to get a Windows compile without SSE. This affects at least one person on Terenas. <>
  • Is harder to configure, particularly on the server side (potentially a headache for Bolty to get started)<>
  • Has a very annoying text-to-speech default client configuration. You'll want to shut that off for sure. May not be so annoying if the server has a real security certificate (yes, it reads the entire warning to you...)<>
    [st]I am in the process of doing a major system overhaul. Since the murmur server is running in a VM on my desktop machine, that means it will not necessarily stay online. I will try to continue to keep the server up when I can but don't be surprised if it is down.

If anyone has a specific event they would like to try it for, let me know and I'll try to keep it up if you are still interested in testing it.
It also seems to have less lag and therefore less talking over other people. Sound clarity is better over-all I believe, and it's easier to understand people.
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
I don't know how it is for setup server-side, but client side it seems that once people get it all setup, this is a winner.

Latency and clarity with multiple people speaking are much improved over TS.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
After running with it last night, I really like it. How hard is it to install on a web server? I haven't read yet, but if my current hosting plan will support it, I could toss it up there. I have two small websites and a dozen email accounts sitting on a decent amount of web-estate:)
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:After running with it last night, I really like it. How hard is it to install on a web server? I haven't read yet, but if my current hosting plan will support it, I could toss it up there. I have two small websites and a dozen email accounts sitting on a decent amount of web-estate:)

I see no need for that, I say we just poke Bolty to get an install going on the lounge server and away we go. :)

I also agree that it is better than TS. I actually liked it better than vent (I've never been a big fan of vent to be honest).

I know other folks than just the Terenas people use TS but we are the majority of traffic and since I've seen solid endorsements from the majority I think that covers the majority of the lounge TS users. Besides he could leave both running I would imagine with impacting anything.

Now as vor_lord mentions there is at least one person who plays WoW on Terenas who can't use mumble, but I've been thinking and might be able to get a work around for them even. But I still like the idea of having a lurker lounge mumble server available.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Now as vor_lord mentions there is at least one person who plays WoW on Terenas who can't use mumble, but I've been thinking and might be able to get a work around for them even.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/BuildingWindows tells how to build mumble for windows, if successful I'm sure tweaking the compiler to not do SSE opts would be pretty easy.

We could also drop back to TS if needed (unless Bolty doesn't want to run both).
Quote:We could also drop back to TS if needed (unless Bolty doesn't want to run both).
Well obviously we'd run both for a little while, yeah. But everything I've read says that Mumble is the bomb.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Well obviously we'd run both for a little while, yeah. But everything I've read says that Mumble is the bomb.

-Bolty

Well, then, someone should set up us the bomb. :lol:

-Jester
Quote:Well, then, someone should set up us the bomb. :lol:

-Jester

<groan>

--Mav
Quote:[*]Is harder to configure, particularly on the server side (potentially a headache for Bolty to get started)
Holy crap, you're not kidding. I took a whack at it this morning. Looks like I'm going to need to install Qt, GCC, the Boost C++ library, and ZeroC ICE, even before I get to the Mumble portion of the server install.

I don't even know what half of those ARE (which I don't like). I try to keep as much junk off the server as possible to keep it lean.

You sound like a Linux guy. Fill me in.

-Bolty
Quote:Qt, GCC, the Boost C++ library, and ZeroC ICE

Qt is the GUI (shouldn't be needed for server), Boost and GCC shouldn't be needed unless you are going to build it yourself. ZeroC ICE is one of the options for setting up the users/permissions (this is the annoying part I was referring to... but there are other options as many distros just ship some simple SQL scripts to do that).

Can you tell me what distro the server is running? They have a statically compiled linux server available for download that should make it unnecessary to install any other items if the distro does not have a package. Of course they think they need to be fancy and package the static server with LZMA...
Quote:Can you tell me what distro the server is running?
It's a REDHAT 9 i686 virtuozzo on vps.

-Bolty
Quote:It's a REDHAT 9 i686 virtuozzo on vps.

You have got to be kidding me. That's more than 6 years old and not even maintained with security patches.

Try the static download server first. It would take a more adventurous soul than me to try and find and upgrade all the libraries on a server that old so that mumble will compile.
I've been out of touch lately. What's the current status on this?
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Quote:I've been out of touch lately. What's the current status on this?
I couldn't get it installed.

-Bolty
Since it looks like a no go for the lounge hosting it, it looks like it'll cost $4.95 a month for 25 concurrent.

That'd be enough for Terenas anyway. We talked a bit tonight about chipping in to fund one we could use.

http://www.sabrienix.com/voice/mumble

Just FYI for Conc mostly.