Perfect D Clone char is?...
Does anyone know the best tyupe of char and the best build for that char type for d clone? im guessing a zealidin but thats just what ive been told. I tried to make a D.Clone barb, with a flamebellow sword and some sheild ( cant remember the name) He has natures peace and a whole lotta resists but i dont know if he could do the job with such a weak sword. So I would like to know the best build for d clones because for some reason i think it woud be somewhat necessary for one. Well thanks if you can help me out here. B)
i think the better is the smiter with crushing blow stuff, and PMH from hwannin belt.
Quote: Does anyone know the best tyupe of char and the best build for that char type for d clone?

Same as the best character for everything else, hammerdin. I read some article on diabloii.net where some dude was complaining about orb and apparently he never saw how hammer shreds everything in 8 player games. Blizzard really dropped the game balance ball on this one.
Step 2: Acquire and train a monkey. This step may take some time.
The simple two part fix to hammerdins is very simple: one, stop hammer from cutting through undead resistance/immunites; two, add more monsters (who are not undead) to the list who are magic immune.

To get BH damage to the obscene levels you see now requires maxing concentration, blessed hammer, vigor and blessed aim. That doesn't leave much room for other skills. Even leaving out one of the synergies doesn't leave a whole lot of points to work on a backup skill.

Of course, the skill would still be fairly "uber l337" for PvP... but PvP and balance obviously aren't important anyways :P .

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
I would gladly fight D clone with any char if he would just spawn for me once in awhile. :angry:
The first time I saw the clone another player took him down with a zealadin in about 15 seconds. He started by casting amp. I have no idea what item would have given him that ability, but that's what I saw. It didn't look like a chance-to-cast on his weapon--all I saw was a casting animation, no weapon movement, and then a weapons switch before he smushed the poor demon.

He claimed to be using a lightsaber, but made no mention of his other equipment.

Since then, I've killed the clone 3 times, all with my kick assassin. I imagine any character with fast attacks could do it the same way I have.

My first time was a _very_ tough fight. I had 25% crushing blow, and my resists were only 75/75 fireghtning. There were many deaths, and the fight took probably 30 minutes or so. Running out of money almost lost the fight for me. :blink:

I learned from experience, and the next time I had better equipment: 50% crushing blow, 95% fire resist and 30% fire absorb. It took about 30-40 full rejuvs over 2-3 minutes.

The last time was faster yet due to another equipment upgrade to 75% crushing blow. This time took about 1 minute and 24 full rejuvs.

If I had 100% crushing blow I could probably shave off a few seconds with this character. But the zealadin I saw would still have me beat hands-down.

Any thoughts on where his amp could have come from other than a chance-to-cast?
I've been getting to him by playing solo in password-protected games with one of my magic finders. I change games every few minutes until I get one where the SOJ-counter message comes up. I stay in that game for a while to see if the counter continues moving. If so, I just stay in that game. Last time I used one of the anti-idle-dropout tricks to keep the game running overnight, and the clone spawned while I was asleep.

Once he spawns I exit the game and come back with my clone-killer.

It's also a good idea to bring in a barb potion finder while you're waiting so the clone killer will have some of that nice purple fuel to work with. :)

For some reason, this works better for me on Tuesday nights--3 times out of 3! :blink:
Quote:Any thoughts on where his amp could have come from other than a chance-to-cast?

The only item I know of that has amp charges is the Gavel of Pain and that only has 3. I'm sure if other items had it they would be used a lot more. I imagine the decrep charges on Steelspell would be at least as useful and there are a lot more of them.
Quote: The simple two part fix to hammerdins is very simple: one, stop hammer from cutting through undead resistance/immunites; two, add more monsters (who are not undead) to the list who are magic immune.

I got a simpler solution, take away the hammer's ability to pierce. Make them one hammer one hit. They would still be great in pvp and against bosses but wouldn't have any mass killing speed. Or keep hammers the same and not have concentration affect them, that is a large portion of their damage....even then they would still probably be too powerful. Maybe switch a synergy from vigor to something useless like sanctuary.

I refuse to play a hammerdin, the skill is completely broken and unbalanced.
Ok then - which is the best char for D:Clone on hardcore?

I would still imagine a paladin of some kind - but hammerdin (which I find boring) or zealot? Lots of fireghtning res/absorb of course..
Quote: Maybe switch a synergy from vigor to something useless like sanctuary.

*deeply offended*
Sanctuary useless?? And how exactly would this do anything to help slow down killing speed? Maybe take a few more seconds to run to the next pack of monsters, but once the battle starts, it won't do anything slower.
arrunique,Apr 8 2004, 11:29 AM Wrote:The only item I know of that has amp charges is the Gavel of Pain and that only has 3. 
The whole battle took about 15 seconds, so 3 charges is more than enough to explain what I saw. :)
Obi2Kenobi,Apr 8 2004, 05:19 PM Wrote:*deeply offended*
*doubly deeply offended*

We shall smite thee for thou shameful comments, slandering the power of sanctuary!

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
I've been getting to him by playing solo in password-protected games with one of my magic finders. I change games every few minutes until I get one where the SOJ-counter message comes up. I stay in that game for a while to see if the counter continues moving. If so, I just stay in that game. Last time I used one of the anti-idle-dropout tricks to keep the game running overnight, and the clone spawned while I was asleep.

idol trick you say? oh and i just was told that i can play expansion with my redular diablo2 classic disk, as long s i have my lod installed. Is this true?
Quote:Sanctuary useless??
I'll bite, how is sanctuary useful vs another aura at 1 point and what builds have 20 spare points to drop into it just for undead womping? (Vs another 20 point aura or 20 points into defiance for holy shield synergy OR 20 points into individual resists to increase the maxes OR 20 points into another utility like salvation or redemption or vigor)

Quote: Maybe take a few more seconds to run to the next pack of monsters
Slows down worldstone, meph, andy runs and rushing. I think vigor is a better transport skill than teleport because there is no chance of accidently dropping yourself into trouble and it is much harder to interrupt.
Go fight Blood Raven, Ancient Kaa, Radament, Pindleskin or any other undead in the game with a melee pally. Find a nice tough boss encounter (fanat or might enchanted in particular) with an undead in a crowded undead environment. Now turn on level 20 sanctuary.

But let's not forget what REALLY matters here: sanctuary is the coolest looking aura in the game. And it's fun hearing "what are those sparkles on the ground?"

gekko
It is useful even at level one (although I will admit that it is much more useful for Paladins relying on physical damage than BH). It is basically immune to undead (unless they are ranged, in which case it just stuns them every pulse, delaying their attack). Vigor might make Meph/Worldstone runs "faster", but in HC, if dolls are around, it's better to be slow than dead (prevents mercs from killing them on top of you).
How about a CS Javazon with maxxed out synergies and a bunch of -enemy resists gear (Maybe even the friendly neighborhood conviction pally along for the ride)?

-Rudi
OH man gekko this is off topic but you just made me laugh for like 5 munites from that brannigan quote, its a classic, and thank you for that. P.S. Sorry for the random off topic post illl never do it again
best clone char? I'd say vengeance pala with schaefers. You have 95% resall, he has -55% resall, you cast static, have ~ 8k damage that will end up being ~ 10-12k due to his negative resists. He can't touch you, you can can hurt him. So far this is an untested method, but a friend is building such a pala (at my advice ;), and we're looking for him with 10 codes so we find him like weekly, at times more than that. Within a few weeks I'll update this to reflect our findings.

I also have a javazon. If you're rich and can afford the skillers and rainbow facets, javazons seem like a likely candidate as well. I'd still say that against the real bigD an avenger is the ideal build.

10k fireball, 8k blizzard, 4k bone spirit proved insufficient so far.

hope that helped.