I want this game.
I've wanted this game since I first laid eyes on its website online. I've wanted it since I picked up the box at the store and just held it in my hands. And now, I want it even more, after this review. If you're looking for a new RTS game, skip by Heroes of EverQuest, and pick this gem up.

Although I haven't picked it up yet, I certainly intend to in the near fututre (money is EXTREMELY tight, and between PC & car repairs, and needing money for tickets AND spending money for 3 back-to-back concerts {Van Halen, then Aerosmith, then Ozzfest}, I just don't have it right now :(). Has anyone actually gotten this game? Can anyone say what it's like? It looks great, a breath of fresh air that Disciples and Etherlords just hasn't brought in yet.

Post your thoughts, anticipations, and reviews!
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Crystallion has it and has been playing it quite a bit I recall.

I tried that demo once but never went back to it yet, partly due to time constraints partly because it didn't really suck me in. But again, I didn't get much past this is the controls, so that isn't a very fair place to judge it from. After re-installing my system due to a failing HDD (Western Digital sucks I might add) I haven't gotten around to reinstalling the demo. But Hopefully I will soon.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I like this bit:

Quote:SpellForce can be seen to be a very original game, especially thanks to its system of runes and parchments that the player must collect. The game borrows many gameplay elements from quite a few other titles.

Also, why must every freaking fantasy game have some sort of Drow analogue? Oh, 'scuse me... 'Black Elves.'

It does look fairly interesting, but I've never been very good at the resource-gathering type of RTS (WarCraft and C&C clones and whatnot), I find them frustrating. I much prefer the logistical RTSes (Soldiers of Anarchy, the MechCommanders), so I'm not sure if I'll pick up this game.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
The demo was fun, but I'm ambivalent about buying. I like Jowood's style, but the voice-overs in the demo were hokey. Fun kinda of hokey, but still hokey. I want the game. I don't want the game. I want the game. I don't want the game. In other news, I just finished the Single Player campaign in "Sacred" with a vampiress. I must say, the game has a slow start, but is still crack. It has issues though. . . and I intentionally don't accept all sub-quests... however! Some sub-quests are fun as hell and get a good sense of humour on classic fairy tales.

I find a girl caged in the woods next to a witch. She wants me to release her, and the witch has the key. I must first address the witch, requiring proper introductions before I smite her with my knight/vampiress. . . and she fesses up to wanting to use the girl to restore her own beauty and makes a counter-offer. Witch gives me stuff to let her be. My reputation thus far has been to backstab my employers and accept counter-offers, no matter whom it might be. Thus, the witch becomes beautiful, and the caged girl becomes an old hag and I get loads of treasure. *grin*... Erm. Back on subject.

Roland, have you tried the Spellforce demo? You really should :D I honestly liked playing the demo. Even though it was very easy against the computer... that wasn't a complete bad thing. Humans are another matter.

I really loved the fact you can go into a 3rd person perspective from very up close. Almost having the commander's first person view of the battlefield while the entire war rages on all around you. That's very cool imo. There are a few interface issues I didn't like, and the demo... well the scripted mission actions are a little honky. You can easily put a monkey wrench into all of it and bugger your own game.

Hmm... I'll get this game after alll since you guys have put interest into it. Just a matter of when =) heh didn't even know you fellow lurkers knew of Spellforce.
Its almost completely automated. You can forget about maximizing this or that. Peasants actually have some intelligence for once. In all honesty, resource gathering is not going to be a problem. Find a better excuse not to try this game's demo Warlocke. Try the demo when you do have a spare night or two to download.
*Cough*ShamelessPlug*Cough*

http://walkiry.no-ip.org/spellforce

I do have a review of this excellent game too, so it's not all pluggy, you can skip straight to the review too ^_^
Walkiry,Apr 7 2004, 02:57 AM Wrote:*Cough*ShamelessPlug*Cough*
*clicky*

*cough* Now I gotta get this game. NOW. Thanks for a new addiction.