Great freeware goodies for Windows
Since I am a very cheap bastard, I love freeware software.

By "freeware", I mean the following:
  • costs $0 to download, install and register (if applicable)
    <>
  • contains no spyware
    <>
  • contains no adware
    <>
  • isn't a "time limited" demo<>
    [st]
    I have amassed a great many links to some awesome freeware goodies over the years, and I want to share them with you. Feel free to add to my list.

Some of these freeware utilities might require registration.

The very first thing you should be aware of when installing "freeware" software is that it might contain spy- or ad-ware (henceforth called "malware"). You don't want this kind of freeware, ever.

(note - None of the links in this post lead to malware. These utilities are 100% legit.)

Utilities to check for and delete malware
    Spybot - Search and Destroy
    AdAware

I recommend using both of the above on a regular basis. Malware can be just as devastating to your computer as the worst virus ever created.

VIRUS! OMG!
    AVG

There are other freeware antivirus clients out there, but I've been so happy with AVG that I've never even checked them out. I also don't want to link to (or even mention the name of) something that I've never tried out for myself.

I used to have a commercial version of McAfee (now Network Associates or some such), and I hated it. Sure, it detected all of my viruses -- but it also lagged my entire system to hell. I couldn't use my computer for even the simplest of tasks while it was running. I ended up turning it off most of the time, which really defeats the purpose of using an antivirus utility.

AVG is small and unoticable (except when you need it).

I'd really appreciate it if someone else can offer some more input on an alternate free antivirus utility here.

FIREWALLS! Now with more "fire" and less "wall", or something like that!
    A firewall is important.

Here are two freebies that do the job just wonderfully.
    ZoneAlarm
    Kerio

Don't EVER browse the web without a good firewall, antivirus, and malware-killer onhand.

Office Suite
    openoffice.org

For casual users, Open Office is just as useful as the Microsoft version.

Image Editting
    The GIMP

The GIMP is approximately equal to Adobe's Photoshop 4. For a freeware download, GIMP is a goldmine.

Internet Browser and E-Mail
    Mozilla Firefox
    Slim and sleek browser.
    Opera
    I hear it's awesome.
    Thunderbird
    Mozilla's e-mail client.
I used to use AVG, but it got the axe when I found out that it kept a 6GB-, yes, GIGA-byte, viri database file. The cause is unkonwn, and I never bothered to find out it was a version specific bug or program "feature".

Currently, my anti-virus software of choice is AntiVir. From the reviews I've read, it is more effective than AVG, and I've not had any problems running it, except when I destablized my installation by screwing up an auto-update somehow. I can't tell you much more than that since I've never ran a virus scan on this machine, before or after AntiVir.
That is to say, programs that generate ENORMOUS "temporary"(but sometimes fails to delete when closed) files.

Virus-makers
Lack
Tackles.
YZilla,Apr 4 2004, 01:50 AM Wrote:I used to use AVG, but it got the axe when I found out that it kept a 6GB-, yes, GIGA-byte, viri database file. The cause is unkonwn, and I never bothered to find out it was a version specific bug or program "feature".
Your AVG was borked. My entire AVG directory only takes up 12 megs.
Actually, the file was kept in C:\

It was clearly created by AVG because the name was something along the lines of "avgdb".

It was a MS Access file, or something of the sort, and completely filled up my C: partition that the OS couldn't allocate virtual memory.
Quote:It was clearly created by AVG because the name was something along the lines of "avgdb".

I use AVG. The file you mention, Avg6db_f.dat, is 2203kb on my PC. Also on C:\ are Avg6db_r.dat and Avg6db_n.dat, 5kb and 11kb respectively.

-Lemming