Today GameSpy Semi-Finals!
As some of you may already be aware, Diablo II is in Gamespy's Title Fight for the Best Game of all Time. Today is the semi-finals and our old Blizzard favorite needs your support. Diablo II is world renowned for having the largest fan base on the face of the planet!! Due to some alleged cheating earlier in the election, you now have to register to vote, but SO WHAT? You can fake everything INCLUDING the e-mail address.

We've come this far, this is NO time to give up! For the first time ever Diablo II is losing. Spread the word, tell everyone you know, show your support and go vote for Diablo II! When your mother's best friends sister has voted for Diablo II, you've done your job. :) At any rate this is just the thing that may make Blizzard get off their butts and start working on Diablo III! :D

Here's the link to register (if you need it):

https://www.gamespyid.com/index.aspx

Here's the link to vote:

http://archive.gamespy.com/titlefight/matc...ches/0502.shtml

GOGO Battle.Net Community!!!
Thank you for being civil, concise, and following the rules.

That being said, I voted for Half-Life :D Gordon Freeman > all, sorry :P

Make sure to go vote in the other match today, too - SMB3 is basically tied with DOOM.
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
>>you now have to register to vote, but SO WHAT? You can fake everything INCLUDING the e-mail address.

Heheh! I guess a win now would prove that D2 has the most cheaters of any game in the world?
;)

I placed my vote where it belonged - Mario! It's the only game still in the running that isn't focused on using graphic violence to appeal to the player. Pure gameplay all the way. D2 is second in my book, Half-Life about 8th, and Doom would rank about 15th (but 1st for its time).
Quote:At any rate this is just the thing that may make Blizzard get off their butts and start working on Diablo III!

Diablo III is already in development, and it's slated for a release later this year. It's called Guild Wars, and it's being made by a company called ArenaNet. Google Guild Wars up, or buy the most recent edition of PC Gamer if you want more information.

Diablo II's fanbase is smaller than Starcraft's. Koreans like Diablo II, but they worship Starcraft.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Diablo II's fanbase is smaller than Starcraft's. Koreans like Diablo II, but they worship Starcraft.
I worship Starcraft as well. It is very well done and pretty balanced RTS game that you can play in a few hours rather than some others that seem to take at least 12 hours. I'm expanding my RTS repatoire by exploring AOE, Rise of Nations, Civilization III, and Kohan right now. Whew!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I am so pissed right now, I could chew nails. I just learned that the only reason Half Life is beating Diablo II is because people connect to Half Life servers THROUGH GameSpy. People in the GameSpy forums are saying that it was inevitable that Half Life win the competition.

HORSESHI*!!!!!

50,000 people at the least are playing Diablo II at any given point in time, we just need to get the word out. Diablo II is known for it's MAMMOTH user base, we just need to pull all of our resources together to pull this off.

Let the Lord of Terror REIGN SUPREME!! Half Life must be wrought upon the sacrificial alter!! <Insert gutteral roar from the beginning of the game>
It's just a game, dude. I think you need to calm down and stop caring what GameSpy thinks.
True, it's not like Gamespy's opinion means anything to Blizz or any other game maker. It's not like anyone earns money because of it. And besides, online polls like that are patheticaly abusable. In fact, it was brought up in the very first post... you can fake anything.

Intrestingly, the Starcraft community started bitching about losing and decided the D2 people were running bots. If this were true, then the poll says more about the communities. Diablo 2 is full of cheaters, and Starcraft is full of people making "omg u h4xor" accusations. :D

Now, if the game that won had some kind major movie tribute, that would be a diffrent story.

In the end, Half-Life is the better game anyways. :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I don't "worship" starcraft, but I think I like it better than D2. D2 was a good game and fun. You get more of b.net personalties like that and items are kewl.

Unforunately, what ruined it for me was the ridicolous cheese. Items made or broke your character, and that was more about luck than anything else. 1.10 seemed to fix the wrongs, but it just wasn't good enough.

I played Starcraft before Diablo 2 and I'm playing Starcraft after Diablo 2 was uninstalled. The main thing here is that Starcraft is the most balanced game I've played, about 85% balanced (it would be absurd if I said it was perfectly balanced. Diablo 2 is impossible to balance and IMO, takes less skill. You can tell by the way you can seperate the great from the mediocre. You can watch people play 5 games of Starcraft and there's usually a good chance you'll see who's playing better. You can't see who's better in D2. Especialy when it's possible to power level and leech. A person who is given all the good stuff and is has been playing for two days probaly perform better just as well as someone who has been finding their own stuff in years. But then, D2 was never really a competitive game and I never cared about being the best. :P What the heck is "better" in D2 anyways? It's very subjective.

The thing that wins me over you can get better in Starcraft. In Diablo 2, you can get items and gain levels, but that's about it. That's your character getting stronger, not you. I don't "feel" like I am a better player than I was two years ago. There's nothing I could do now that would make me diffrent as a D2 player two years ago. However, it's very obvious that I am better at Starcraft than I was two years ago. (although many would still say I suck)

But don't get more wrong. The goal of Diablo 2 is not clear-cut. Some may kill Baal in normal and see the game as over. Some will not rest until the find every item there is. That's what made it so addictive. Choose your own path! And the cinematics are great. I remember watching them over and over when I got kicked from battle.net. And games are not all about skill and strategy, it's also about fun. Seriously, eight people fighting through the most troublesome parts of Act 4? Nothing could ever compare to that.

The most endearing thing about D2 I guess is... The patch path is more important than the goal.

If it wasn't for D2, I wouldn't be here. :)

Note: Hey, now that I think about it, this is the first post that I made that was positive about Diablo 2 on this forum!
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
The contest isn't set up to measure which games were better or more influential, it's set up to measure which games are able to mobilize the largest active fanbase.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I think it goes without saying that any gaming poll on GameSpy will be won by a FPS game if one is an option.

That being said... Half-Life was probably both more popular and more influential than Diablo 2.
Crogon,Apr 3 2004, 04:42 AM Wrote:I am so pissed right now, I could chew nails. I just learned that the only reason Half Life is beating Diablo II is because people connect to Half Life servers THROUGH GameSpy. People in the GameSpy forums are saying that it was inevitable that Half Life win the competition.

HORSESHI*!!!!!

50,000 people at the least are playing Diablo II at any given point in time, we just need to get the word out. Diablo II is known for it's MAMMOTH user base, we just need to pull all of our resources together to pull this off.

Let the Lord of Terror REIGN SUPREME!! Half Life must be wrought upon the sacrificial alter!! <Insert gutteral roar from the beginning of the game>
Why do you care who wins this "competition"? If Half life2 wins, will that negate all the fun you've had with Diablo2. Will it ruin your future pleasure in the game?

Will the outcome of the poll in any way affect the game itself or your enjoyment of it? Why is it so important for you to spread the message that 50.000 people play Diablo2 at any given time?

I like Diablo2. I don't play it any more, but I've played it for hundreds of hours. I don't care if everyone knows how popular it is - I don't care if anyone knows how popular it. Furthermore, a game needn't be popular among a "MAMMOTH user base" for me to enjoy it, as long as I enjoy it. As long as there are 7 other players at all time - not 50.000-, then that's all I need.

Btw, Half life 0wnz0rz diablo2.

:rolleyes:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Griselda,Apr 3 2004, 07:05 AM Wrote:The contest isn't set up to measure which games were better or more influential, it's set up to measure which games are able to mobilize the largest active fanbase.

-Griselda
Griselda hit the point I wanted to make right on the head there.

Geez, like, I get another opportunity to de-lurk, and I'm foiled again.

Oh, and the best game of all time has to be Daikatana. I never got such a good laugh when reading about a game's development cycle.
"One day, o-n-e day..."