? about minion summoning charges
Do all the types of minions dissapear when you switch out the granting item?

Using my sorc I used a Bloodmoon sword and cast a blood golem. Another meat shield would not hurt. However when i weapon switch back to my orb, blood golem dies.

Has anyone seen this in other charged skill granting items? Oak sages? wolfs? bear? Revives?

I dont understand this thing with the blood golem. If I am a necro, and I have a wand or shield that adds skill points to blood golem (assuming i have no natural points in that skill) and cast the golem and then weapon switch to get +bone spear skills or something else, I dont think the blood golem dies.... does it??? I havent tested this because my necro has natural skill points in blood golem. Anyone know?

Also, anyone have any experience with the other charged skill minions? Any insight into this would be apprecieated.

Dave
I've seen "Passion"-generated HoW spirits go poof when you switch out. I think this is a consistent behavior over all minions from charged items. It would match the behavior with non-charged items as well; when you rotate them out, the game reassesses how many of a type of minion you can have.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
If you no longer have the skill to summon a minion (either base points in it, or a +that skill item or an item with charges), the minion disappears. At least, that's how it is in general. I'm not sure what exceptions there are.
+All skills (not sure about +tab) can keep a minion alive, including Skill Shrines. I have a screenshot of my level 1 necromancer in the Blood Moor with no points into skeleton, but a skeleton still summoned due to a skill shrine. Quite surprising when it happened to me, that I could keep my skeleton after dropping my starter wand. There is no minion that doesn't follow this rule.
Gonna try bloodmoon and soj to see if golem stays alive after switchout.

I'll let you know the results.

Dave

Edit: However, I think I had on a tarn helm last time, so now I have a less than optimistic outlook for this.
Ack... I think Ravens may actually be an exception. I had a 1 to summoning skills pelt on, summoned two ravens, then took it off, and the ravens stayed... One point in raven, 2 ravens summoned. I didn't check if both ravens actually damaged, though.
I experienced something similar, also with Ravens, but the additional Raven stayed only for about 5-10 seconds and then vanished. He did however appear to be doing damage, or rather his hit animation, since I was playing in Hell and Raven damage is nonexistant there (but the Blind is nice :) )

My setup:
Harlequin Crest (+2 Skills)
Islestrike un. Twinaxe (+2 Skills) and a Rare Shield
with
Blade of Ali Baba on weapon switch

I think this happened only at a specific number of Ravens (5, in my case), if I had less than 5 birds with Islestrike, the additional Ravens would disappear immediately after hitting weapon switch. I could be wrong here, it's been a while.

Greetings

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:I think this happened only at a specific number of Ravens (5, in my case), if I had less than 5 birds with Islestrike, the additional Ravens would disappear immediately after hitting weapon switch. I could be wrong here, it's been a while.

When I tried it, it was with 1 to summoning, and 1 base point in Raven (aka 2 total ravens).
Here's another question, purely out of curiosity. If you are using a charged item, and run out of charges, would the summoned creature stay?
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
Why of course it would. Otherwise, the last charge would be useless. :)
Obi2Kenobi,Apr 12 2004, 04:44 PM Wrote:Why of course it would. Otherwise, the last charge would be useless.
Heh heh, yeah. I answered the question for myself about 5-10 minutes after I made the post. My logic said that you would still technically have the skill, so the summoned creature would still be there, you just couldn't cast a new one. I would've either edited my post or made a new one, but I was in class. Thanks anyway!
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
OK people, I finally got around to testing this out. My necro had no skill points in fire golem and I got a shield that added +2 fire golem. I cast the fire golem and did weapon switch.... Lo and behold, the golem did NOT go poof. He stayed there, which is what I said originally I thought happened. Since a necro can have only one golem, I dont think the software checks to see how many of them the necro can have on weapon switch or on replacing equipment. However, the charged skill cast blood golem from bloodmoon does disapear on weapon switch (at least it did on my sorc). Presumably then the game uses some different portion of code when a charged skill minion is created than when a natural skill minion is created.

When I weapon switched out of the +2 fire golem shield I looked at the skill tree and sure enough there were no longer any skill points in the fire golem. Ok, so some of you have suggested that maybe +all skills or +tab skills may keep the minion alive after switch out. So I "got naked" (and had no skill charms) and still no poofage. Soooooo, anyone have any additional insight?

Dave
My Necro has Naj's staff on his weapon switch. With the staff active, he can only summon 11 skellies/mages as opposed to 13 with wand and head. I can switch to the staff, and my excess skellies stick around. I can teleport, but as I recall if I use any Necro skill (and definitely any summoning skill) before switching back, they vanish. Also there seesm to be a timeout for switching back, after which they vanish.

-- CH