Do you have these "bracelets for sex"-thing?
There's a trend going on in Norway, perhaps Europe, perhaps the world, that young people purchase and wear these colourful bracelets to indicate their sexual preference. A red bracelet might indicate you wish someone to perform oral sex for you, a yellow might indicate you are looking for a threesome, a green might indicate you've already just had sex, etc.

In today's paper, I read how a young child in 3rd grade (8-9 year old) was forced to strip because he/she wasn't deemed "worthy" to wear a particular bracelet. I can't even begin to grasp the many levels this is utterly repulsive and extremely objectionable. Call me an ol'-fashioned bloke, but I'd prefer if 8-year olds *didn't* walk around talking about sex, I wish they *didn't* express a desire to *have* sex, and I wish people in general, let alone small children, wouldn't force someone to take their clothes off.

If we disregard the stupidity of wearing a "(I want) sex-bracelet" in the first place, for a while, what the hell are children doing with them? And what are the salesmen of these items thinking, selling them to young children? I'm a capitalist myself, and see the profit as the ultimate goal, but even I have *some* morals when it comes to certain things. Obviously, they do not. I don't know if actual sex is being had at that age; frankly, I don't want to know, but I can't understand this lack of moral responsibility these people have allowing children to behave this way.

I know everything in today's society has to be sexual. Commercials, fashion, any aspect of society really, but isn't there a limit? I seem to remember an episode of "Sex and the city" where the character "Samantha" is appalled to hear 14-year old girls talking about giving blowjobs, where the general argument was "shouldn't children be children for as long as they can? They have their whole lives to grow up to be adults, why expediate the process more than necessary?" I feel the same applies here, only to a sterner degree. There is a vast ... *vast* ... difference between 14-year old teens and 8-year children.

What I don't understand, is how parents can allow this sort of thing to go on? Obviously, children are still buying these bracelets - it's not like the trend is disappearing - even though they may not be the target audience, and they're being allowed to, by the parents, the salespeople, and the government. I'm not a big fan of government-interference, but this is so unfathomably appalling, I really think someone ought to do something.

Is this trend present in *your* country? If so (and if not as well) what do you make of it? Why is this trend allowed to go unchecked?

[Image: bandsak2.jpg]

[/rant]
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
So is this the kind of thing a guy would wear to the bar hoping to get lucky, or is it just for the kids? My pickup lines ain't too great, so maybe I should try one of these bracelet things...

I'm not sure exactly what parents can do about it. Bracelets are just bracelets, after all. But, yikes! Kids that age ought to be talking about catching cooties (hmm, wonder how that translates for our foreign readers), not having sex.
Nystul,Mar 25 2004, 01:47 AM Wrote:Kids that age ought to be talking about catching cooties
Hey I remember cooties! In fact *scratch* I seem to recall *scritch* cooties as being *scratch scratch* highly contagious....
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
We had that fad in the 80's IIRC. Jelly Bracelets. Something I think Madonna started.

The game was called "Snap" you had to yank one of the bracelets off and got a sexual favour that corrosponds with the colour you managed to zoink. There were big problems in American schools because of them. You could get them out of the gumball machines in the fronts of almost any grocery store for 25 cents.

Everything old is new again!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Nystul,Mar 25 2004, 11:47 AM Wrote:So is this the kind of thing a guy would wear to the bar hoping to get lucky, or is it just for the kids?  My pickup lines ain't too great, so maybe I should try one of these bracelet things...
I'm sure anyone can buy them, I just don't expect 70 year old ladies going around with a "I need anal"-bracelet.
Quote: I'm sure anyone can buy them, I just don't expect 70 year old ladies going around with a "I need anal"-bracelet.

Erm. **Shudder**

Heck, I am going to play the Devil's Advocate here.

Little old ladies need loving too. Perhaps some 70 year old lady is hemmoroid free, is lonely, and desires a little animal loving action. Isn't it a little opressive of you to restrict their ability to advertise their desire? **Takes a LONG slug of coffee** I mean, who's to say what a 70 year old lady can or can not do... They have needs too, and clods like me have ignored them. I married a woman about half my age, it's better to smell perfume then Ben Gay in the sack. So there are probably lots of lonesome little old ladies waiting around with "anal bracelets." And what of the brave young man that has the courage to run up to said Old Lady and snap off her band? What of him? Robbing the cradle or the senior citizens home takes a lot of guts. Do we praise him for his open mind or condemn him for his depravity?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Hahahahaha

*laughs uncontrollably*
Thanks for the visual :)

High on the "Ewww" factor, though. I haven't noticed the trend here in mid America, but now that you've given me the heads up I will be watching more attentively. :D

"Excuse me, but what does the fuchsia one mean again..." hahaha
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Doc,Mar 25 2004, 08:33 AM Wrote:Little old ladies need loving too. Perhaps some 70 year old lady is hemmoroid free, is lonely, and desires a little animal loving action. Isn't it a little opressive of you to restrict their ability to advertise their desire?
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. Thanks for ruining my day.
Hi,

In just fifty years from virginity pins to sex bracelets. Freedom isn't always liberating. ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

HAHAHHAHA.

Good one Doc, good one

Those thing are a curse, i thought everyone got rid of them{everyone being the world} sighs like some one said old is new again, old problems never die,just new flavors.....
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
As far as adults doing this, I think it's tacky, but a little funny. I noticed this trend proliferating in the raver scene a while back and learned the meanings behind this-thing and that-thing, and decided then that I really didn't want to know.
<_<

For the children, though, it's a little disturbing. But it's definitely a parenting issue. It makes me wonder how many of the kids are wearing them with their intended sexual implications, and how many others are just wearing them to fit in with the "cool, grown-up" kids.
Quote:A red bracelet might indicate you wish someone to perform oral sex for you,

Then about 95% of the menfolk and about 100% of the womenfolk around here should be wearing a red bracelet, which in my wandering about the coastal bend I have not seen as the case.

Obviously, things are a little behind down here . . . or is that the brown bracelet?????
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Here's the "You're a breathing lifeform, so as long as something disturbing happens between us I'll be happy" bracelet.
:P

[Image: 00673.jpg]

http://www.clubthings.com/product289.html
http://www.snopes.com/risque/school/bracelet.asp

Not quite as universal as it seems to be.
Occhidiangela,Mar 25 2004, 01:06 PM Wrote:Obviously, things are a little behind down here . . . or is that the brown bracelet?????
Oh dear :D
You frighten me, Doc.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:And what of the brave young man that has the courage to run up to said Old Lady and snap off her band? What of him? Robbing the cradle or the senior citizens home takes a lot of guts. Do we praise him for his open mind or condemn him for his depravity?

Since we are dealing with a between consenting adults issue here, "we" don't "do" or "say" a darned thing. We let the two of them find their little bit of magic together, and go about our own business. :lol:

Say, there's a girl with a red bracelet over there . . . :lol:
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 25 2004, 05:33 PM Wrote:Since we are dealing with a between consenting adults issue here, "we" don't "do" or "say" a darned thing.&nbsp; We let the two of them find their little bit of magic together, and go about our own business.&nbsp; :lol:

Say, there's a girl with a red bracelet over there . . .&nbsp; :lol:
Hogwash my dear Rogue.

People say stuff all the time. Do you know how many times I have been mistaken for my wife's father or worse? People say stuff... They open their mouth and crap just falls right out. So that consenting adult thing you mention sounds both funny and far fetched. :lol:

I did not mean to ruin anybody's day.. Sorry about that. I was only playing DA. :blink: Causing somebody to eat breakfast (insert your local meal here) twice was not my intention.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
>In today's paper, I read how a young child in 3rd grade (8-9 year old) was forced to strip because he/she wasn't deemed "worthy" to wear a particular bracelet. I can't even begin to grasp the many levels this is utterly repulsive and extremely objectionable.

I'd like to see more details on this. Who forced her, the other kids? Where did this happen, at school?

>What I don't understand, is how parents can allow this sort of thing to go on?

Because not all parents (or some kids) know what fashion items is suppose to symbolize this year, this month, this week, or this day. And sometimes a bracelet really is just a bracelet.

>I'm not a big fan of government-interference, but this is so unfathomably appalling, I really think someone ought to do something.

Careful what you wish for. I can see schools banning all bracelets. I doubt that will address the actual problems, but at least those bracelets are gone. ;)

>Is this trend present in *your* country?

I'm not sure if the exact thing are going on, but I'll safely bet kids fooling around with things they don't know much about is a given. Although my highschool at the time didn't need bracelets for sex, since our school had a built in daycare centre. For the students. But speaking of fashion symbols, there was 2 examples that comes to mind.

1) How girls wear their kilt pins. Imagine a big long safety pin the length of your index finger. The orientation of the pin (pin up, pin down, diagonal horizontal etc.) was suppose to signal if the girl is single, available, dating, or down for -anything-.

A few years after I graduated I asked some of my female school friends about this. Some said it was pure b.s., some said they know about it but didn't follow it. Some said it was sort of true, but told me if I needed a pin to find out if a girl was promiscuous, I was either blind or clueless. :) Besides, pins go out the window when the girls wear pants.

2) Red shoelaces on black Doc Marten boots. Someone told me among neo nazi circles, this was suppose to signify you have killed someone, preferrably some filth that might pollute the purity of the master race. Or some other garbage. The main symbol is if you have red laces on black boots, you're signalling that you probably think Mein Kampf is a good book for race relations.

There was one kid who was a senior in my year, he didn't look like the average white supremacist except for his red laces. Other than that if people saw him on the street they wouldn't give him a second look. He was later arrested when he assaulted someone in the school bathroom. Somehow I doubt he was charged for wearing red laces on school premises.

To summarize my blatherings, I'd rather parents and school address the real problems. Otherwise we might have impeccably dressed children doing drugs, committing violence and having promiscuous sex! ;)