Smiter
Im planning to make a Smiter , would it be viable ?

20 smite
20 holy shield
EDIT : 20 Fanatacism

my conclusion for now is that only crushing blow + slow works with shield

deadly strike/open wounds doesnt seem to work, anyone tried like % chance on hit ? (like with sheaffers?)
1.09 list of what works with smite
The only thing I can think of that changed is Open Wounds, which apparently now works (I haven't tested yet).

My question is: what are you going to do against Physical Immunes? You could drop a point into Sanctuary, but then you still have to worry about Physical Immune demons and animals.

Wizard Spike won't help you with smite on the fast cast, because smite works off of faster attack rate. However, if you need resists, then it can't hurt. :) However, smite's base attack speed is determined by the weapon you use, so try and get a fast one, like a cutlass.
From the linked thread..

Quote:Hit causes Monster to Flee %: Works, but Smite’s stun length will probably be longer than the duration of the fear-effect, so no real use.

Wow. This little aspect makes Lacerator a totally awesome Smiter choice. The annoying flee aspect is completely eliminated. Deadly Strike doesn't work (so no point in picking weapons with it).
I've been hankering for a melee pal to get through hell with since my conviction zealot's untimely demise at he hands of a holy freeze, extra strong, spectral hit dark lancer in a 5 hell.

What aura assists smite?

If it is fanat or would something else be better?

Also does anyone know if the elemental auras work with smite on 1.10? Because if they do a smite/shocker would be sweet!
Step 2: Acquire and train a monkey. This step may take some time.
Might, concentration and fanaticism all work. Holy fire, holy freeze and holy shock don't.
edited my first build, any suggetions for items ?
Get a quick weapon and a shield with high smite damage (Herald of Zak if you can afford it; usually pally-only shields if you can't or you're playing no-twink). You will want a VERY fast attack speed, since you can only attack one target at a time. You will also want some faster hit recovery items or charms, for when you get swarmed.

Finally, you'll need something to deal with physical immunes in hell. One point in vengeance can work, though depending on how good of a weapon you have, it may not be enough (if you're using a lightsaber, you're fine; if you're using the angelic set for the smiting speed, you'll want a high damage weapon on your weapon switch to use with vengeance).

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Well, Paladins seem to be my forte' so I might as well throw my words of lesser wisdom into the mix. I have built a rather effective smiter for pvp, I never bother to use smite on pvm as I have several points in zeal for that (except the occasional baal run, just so I can say "I have smited thee, baal")
My equipment is as follows.. although it may not be very obtainable to some.
40/15 ias 7/8/20 gaze
"ZOD" Ethreal 1.09 Arkines valor +2 pally skills
Fury seraph rod
Gore Riders
Highlords ammy
Lava gout battle gauntlets
"UM" Hearald of Zakarum
Clean Griswolds Vortex shield (high smite damage, very nice)
20/245 Raven Frost
crafted 10ll +10 all res ring
7ll 15% dr String of ears

I also have many options in my stash such as ethreal lacerator, ethreal gimmershred (immensly hurts physical immune), stormshield, and non-ethreal botd berzerker axe, which destroy any problem that may arise.

My skills are pretty straight foreward, Sort of the classic pvp paladin.
20 charge
20 smite
20 holy shield
20 fanaticism
?? the rest in zeal
He is level 90, which is relatively easy to get to if you have enough time on your hands.

My stat points are sort of my own personal creation and I would rather not provide that information, it is sort of my "secret" to success, even though it sounds immensly hoakey.

Well, Im not too sure if this helps or not, basically it's just "get the best gear you can, and use it"
Come to think of it, my reply is pretty damn usless, although I will submit anyway to watch my post count soar to a mighty 4.
=)

Later,
Cow
~Lord``CoW~,Mar 31 2004, 03:59 AM Wrote:[...]40/15 ias 7/8/20 gaze[...]
:huh:

And you found that yerself, right?

Or was it your best friend who swears it's the only legit one?

It's best if you never even mention this type of jewel around here.

What was mentioned I'd like to reiterate is the points in zeal. Odds are you'll end up zealing most of your career for PvM, as it's much more reliable and usually much faster at killing than smite. That's not always a bad thing, however. Using zeal for most enemies and smite against tough bosses can be extremely effective. It's particularly nice while playing in parties, since a fast smite can "lock-down" most any dangerous unique boss, leaving your party mates free to put the bad guy down in almost total safety.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
Gekko: Point out where I said I found it myself.
And I keep getting this "we don't do that around here" #$%&, now Im getting horrid flashbacks of my kindergarten with the neo nazi teacher.......
I doub't that I'll hang around here long if all you do is attempt to condescend me and bitch at me....
Bah

Later, Maybe.
Cow
Nothing remotely "neo nazi" about it. He's just pointing out that posters around these parts typically don't use duped items. Not that a 40/15 jewel is necessarily duped, or even the Jah and two Zods (yeah right). But the game you're playing is very different from the one most posters here are playing.
Point out where I acted like a "neo nazi," or where I even so much as accused you of being a cheater.

My post was designed to make sure you (and anyone else in the same situation) understand one simple thing: if you talk about using duped or hacked items in your posts; if you talk about using cheats or PK'ing other players; if you don't follow the standards we uphold here at the Lounge concerning this type of behavior, you will be flamed, banned, banished and forgotten. Note that I am NOT accusing you of ANY of those things. However, if you want to avoid being blasted, I do have a friendly suggestion: don't talk about the 40/15's you use.

gekko
~Lord``CoW~,Mar 31 2004, 08:59 AM Wrote:I also have many options in my stash such as ethreal lacerator, ethreal gimmershred (immensly hurts physical immune), stormshield, and non-ethreal botd berzerker axe, which destroy any problem that may arise.
A "non-ethreal botd berzerker axe", why do you want to make one like this? :huh:

certain equipment I would suggest for a smiter, mostly PVM btw,

for weapon,
Astreon's Iron Ward - looking for +4 skills and 8X DMG
Silence PB - this is the best rune word weapon for a smiter IMHO

also, although many people will say an upgraded HOZ is the dream shield for a smiter, but I actually prefer the new 110 Pal shield - Alma Negra more than anything else, try to look for a 65+% ED DMG one, I found it even better than HOZ. I tried exile also, but don't like it much. Alma Negra is my pick here.

If you play PVM mostly, don't use any gloves other than Dracul's Grasp, that 5% chance of casting of life trap is the best thing that could happen to a smiter.

boots I prefer Sandstorm Trek or Gore Riders, Verdungo's Hearty Cord is a nice belt you can consider also.

Helm is an interesting choice, for PVM, if you don't need much of the skills, you can go for crushing blow and use the set winged helm, otherwise unique shako or even Crown of Ages are nice also.

For armor, personally I like Leviathan, mostly for the green look :P , and the huge bonus in strength is very nice also.

Choice on rings and amulet doesn't really matters, though I think you will need a raven frost.

Understand we maybe playing in different realm so the price of obtaining above items wil be different (I played at A3 mainly now and above items are very easy and cheap to obtain there), but I think those mods in these items are the ones you should look for when you plan your equipments.

IMHO, smiter is the best diablo clone killer in the game, hands down. cheap to build one also (even you don't have some of the good gears stated above, when you have enough CB, DC normally will die within 1 min).
The smiter only needs like 5-10% ias to get max hits , atleast when u use fanaticism aura..(used calculater, used lvl 22 fanat) so more ias aint important

equipment :
think im going for gore rider cuz 10% Open Wounds 15%Crushing Blow 15% Deadly Strike is kinda really nice
from a former reply here, witch had a link of 1.09/8 what worked with smite,
I used the shield : Swordback hold, witch has a 50% open wounds, that works with smite, but i dont know if other things carry over, like boots etc, i will have to try some out.. or does anyone got viable info about it ?

boots: gore rider 10% open 15% crushing 15% deadly
armor : leviathan or guardian angel, both always nice
helmet : I was first thinking about Andy's helm, cuz of life steal/str/skills ...but lifesteal doenst work..
crown of ages is nice so is giant skull (knockback str 10%crushing) , or guillamce face, (30fhr, 15%deadly 35% crushing)
gloves: dracul grasp (lifetap) or steelrend (crushing blow+str + ED)
belt : definetly vendungo's +vit+damreduc
shield : herald(+2 all +2 combat +20str +20 vit, 50 all res) or alma (+2skill +75% ed)
amu : mara's/highlords
ring : raven+natures peace
if i take guillams+steelrend then i got
10% open 60% crushing 30% deadly strike (+deadlystrike lvl max = 37% so could be 67%)
so im gonna hope it works all those 3
anyone knows what other things work ?
like slow/freeze or something ?

edit : forgot weapon, aestrons definitly a yes, slow (if it works +33% crushnig, +4 combat, real nice) so i would get 100% crushing :)

(pala is currently lvl 22 :)..)
My theory with regard to smiters has been 'range + speed == good'.

So I use a Scourge or a Zerker Axe with any runeword that has at least 30-50% ias, meaning you get your 1-H 3 range, solid base damage for alternate attack, and max fps.