Whats everyones favorite commercials?
I was just wondering what TV commercials are everyones favorites. There havent been many good ones recently, but i can think of two that are great from the last few years. My favorite is where Death was skipping through these nice green fields and being all happy, the music behind it was great. Anyone remember what song it was? The next best was the original Super Smash Bros. commercial with all the mascots walking along together, then one of them trips the others. It was so good. So what are some other good commercials?
The smarties commercials, hands down. The best was probably the christmas one, where the smarties run into santa.

"He does exist!"
"They do exist!"

Santa and the red smartie both faint.

The other one I like is where the guy's banging on the candy machine, then you see inside and the smartie is hanging on to the rings to avoid falling.

We need more commercials like that.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
I believe the song you are thinking of is the one in the Toy Story that goes, "I see clouds of white, skies of blue...(something I forget), Oh, its a wonderful world..."

But any who, there are two commercials that are just plain hillarious that are airing now. The first one is the Pepsi one that aired during the superbowl (I live in Houston so I had to watch it) that had James Hindrix when he was 10 years old and you see him look at one store with Coke in it that was an Acordian store, then you see him look at a store with Pepsi in it that was a Guitar store. The Annoucer then says, "Just imagine if he bought a coke."

The other commercial is the one for Super Target that has all of the different cartoon mastcots for the different companies and then you see them all get marked with prices. Afterwards Kool-Aid man crashes though the was and the guy pricing them goes, "Hey, Kool-Aid," and you hear Kool-Aid's famous, "Oh, Yeah!"

Those are just hillarious :lol: .

-Leah

EDIT: typos.
"if the bible has taught us anything,and it hasn't, is that boys should stick to boy sports and girls shoud stick to girl sports like hot oil wrestling."-homer simpson
Me-"OH MY GOD,OH MY GOD!!!! 1.10 WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHAT!!!!!....I know what. Fix my computer."
The two best internet comics in the web, penny-arcade and El Goonish Shive. For you.. Also for you.
I a rather fond of Apple's 1984 commercial, although it's cost me a lot of money over the years. :(

I also like the one back in the dot-bomb days with "cat-herding". The cat-hands complaining about getting scratched up just had me on the floor. Darned if I can remember the product, though.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Mar 23 2004, 11: Wrote:Darned if I can remember the product, though.
Loved it! Wasn't it someone like IBM advertising their networking products - bringing networks together is like herding cats?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hrm.

Mine was a Japanese commercial that I saw on a videotape that somebody brought back from a Japanese vacation. I have no idea what the product is called, but, I reckon it was like Beano or GasX.

A little hairy cave man is sitting by the fire, his face clenches, his eyes squeeze shut, and his teeth grind. He grunts, and cuts loose with the loudest longest gurglingly resonant disgusting fart you could possibly imagine. The plants wilt and all of the dinosaurs around him die, with flying dynos falling from the sky and a T Rex kicking over on his back and his legs kicking in the air like a dying bird. It's a mix of animatronics and CGI. It was made around the time Jurassic Park came out. At the end of the commercial, the gist of what is said is "If only he had had product X!"

I quite nearly had a stroke laughing at it.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Hi,

No idea who it is for, but it is a take off on the old Lassie TV show. When the cougar shows up, Lassie goes through a whole routine of faux Kung Fu moves, ending with the Bruce Lee trademark "Come and Get" it finger flick. Loved it.

However, TiVo and the 30 second skip means never having to watch a commercial, and thus often missing the good ones.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

My favorite commercials are the computer associates ones. There are two of them that I can think of off the top of my head.

The first one is about computer security that only guards certain areas. They show a guard chasing a crook through a building. You see them running along, the guard breathing heavily and closing in on him. Then you see a sign on the wall with a dividing line showing where one section of the building ends and another begins. The guard gets to this point then stops and radios in that all is clear. The crook gets away to do whatever he wants in the rest of the building.

The second one is about reliable backups. It shows three guys walking to a meeting. One of the guys is the boss and the other two are workers. So they are walking along and a file cabinet is open and one of the workers walks into it, knocking him out cold. (I don't remember if that is how it happens, but its the general idea) So then you see the boss sitting at the meeting table. The other worker comes up and leans over to him, his hand on a folder on the table, and says "don't worry, he told me everything." Then his hand slips and he falls with his head bouncing off the table. Leaving just the boss in the meeting and knowing nothing about things.

Those commercials make me laugh whenever I see them, but yet also get their point across. So thats why I like them. Which brings me to a question, what is it about a commercial that makes you like it? If a commercial makes me laugh then I'm much more likely to remember it and so it seems like a good commercial to me. There have also been times where I've thought a commercial was really good because it just told about what it was selling and informed you about it. There are all too many commercials that I watch and then don't even know what they were trying to sell. So I guess for me those are the two things I value in a commercial: comedy and clarity.
Tesco adverts. That woman is so funny.

(ok, basically, there's this old-ish lady who shops at Tesco. She's really, arrogant, I suppose the best word is, and consequently annoys anyone she's near)

And in this particular advert, she's sat on a ferry bending this couple's ear about how amazing her Tesco clubcard is, and how her daughter paid for the ferry trip with clubcard points.
She then glances round her, "where is she?"

And the camera flicks to her daughter on the dockside waving her away as the ferry leaves, with a self-satisfied grin on her face...

It was probably funnier when it was on TV, shame I only saw it once.

worst advert is for 'vagisil medicated cream'... and product which is of no use to men... anyway, the advert is very poorly dubbed and totally cringeworthy if you're male. But the thing that annoys me most is definately the fact that the ONLY place I've seen it is in the middle of Star Trek or Stargate... 2 shows which almost definately have a higher percentage of male viewers than female. I'm deginning to think that maybe it isn't a real product, but simply a cruel practicle joke that some maniacle lottery winner is playing. Or maybe I'm paranoid.

-Bob

p.s. if Roald Dahl can start sentences with 'and', so can I.
Hi,

There have also been times where I've thought a commercial was really good because it just told about what it was selling and informed you about it.

It seems that many commercials nowadays are more interested in showing off the ability of the commercial makers and less so in selling a product. Out of almost all the commercials I can remember because they made me laugh or made a point, I can only associate products with a few. Seems a waste of money to pay for advertising that amuses but does not build name recognition.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

My current favorite would probably be the Nike commercial with all of the sports stars playing different sports than the ones they are famous for. It ends with cyclist Lance Armstrong throwing a knockout punch and the ringside announcer saying something like "This guy can do anything!"

A few from memory lane:

When Energizer's pink bunny first started crashing through fake commercials for other products, it was hilarious. My favorite was a western scene where the cowboys get saddle sores and are going to tell us about a product called "SitAgain" before the pink bunny suddenly comes thumping through.

"Where's the beef?"

The "Bud Bowl" where beer cans played football during commercial breaks of the Super Bowl. It was great the first year, but got progressively worse when they tried to make it a yearly event.
Gekko you are German right? They are just known as "M&Ms" in english. :)

A comercial I saw recently is a fat lady is hanging up a "lost hamster Reward" sign. A guy walking behind her sees it running around her neck and in her shirt so reaches under to try and catch it. She notices and sprays him with mace. :lol:
I, myself, loved the Miss Cleo commercials...

"Miss Cleo will tell you all about it!" :P
"One day, o-n-e day..."
I saw one after one of the Kasparov vs. Big Blue chess matches where they had Big Blue playing basketball against some famous basketball player.

The score was like 102 to 0, and it showed the IBM guys sitting in the stands holding their heads in their hands. They show a clip of the player backing up against this big cabinet on rollers, moving it a little, and then spinning around and making a basket.

One of the guys jumps up and yells "he was fouled!"
koolaidman,Mar 23 2004, 05:24 PM Wrote:My favorite is where Death was skipping through these nice green fields and being all happy, the music behind it was great.  Anyone remember what song it was?  The next best was the original Super Smash Bros. commercial with all the mascots walking along together, then one of them trips the others.  It was so good.  So what are some other good commercials?
A decent commercial, and an excellent song by an excellent band. That would be "Daydream" by The Lovin' Spoonful.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Quote:The second one is about reliable backups. It shows three guys walking to a meeting. One of the guys is the boss and the other two are workers. So they are walking along and a file cabinet is open and one of the workers walks into it, knocking him out cold. (I don't remember if that is how it happens, but its the general idea) So then you see the boss sitting at the meeting table. The other worker comes up and leans over to him, his hand on a folder on the table, and says "don't worry, he told me everything." Then his hand slips and he falls with his head bouncing off the table. Leaving just the boss in the meeting and knowing nothing about things.

Gods, thanks for reminding me of that one. I remember it being very funny at the time, simply because it was so plausible-yet-absurd.

I recall seeing what I was told was a Super Bowl commercial (I haven't watched the Super Bowl since the advent of Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, NSync, and other filth) of a dog (it looked like a border collie) running parallel to a Budweiser truck. It kept on like so, and then jumped over a fence... and right into a truck or van or something of that sort. It was rather hilarious at the time.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Nystul,Mar 24 2004, 12:45 AM Wrote:When Energizer's pink bunny first started crashing through fake commercials for other products, it was hilarious.
Speaking of commercials on top of commercials, how many people remember the first time they saw the commercial for Orkin where the cockroach crawls across the screen. That one really threw me the first time I saw it. I immediately got that "Oh ick, where did that come from?" feeling. It is probably urban legend but I heard that some lady threw a handy motorcycle helmet through her picture tube when she saw it crawling across the screen. :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
YES THANK YOU FOR THE SONG NAME!!! I was going nuts trying to figure that out.
I love the recent commercial showing a guy racing along in a chevy truck through some grasslands. The camera keeps cutting to a picture of a cougar running and back to the guy in the truck weaving around a fallen tree, etc. Finally you see the cougar and the truck side by side and just as the cougar is leaping over another obstacle the guy reaches out of the truck and smacks the cougar across the bottom. Both cougar and truck come to a stop and the guy says "You're it". The cougar briefly gets a look on his face and takes off running as the guy takes off in the truck.
The "PS: Stay at home"-Playstation commercial which took place in a seedy-staffed restaurant.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw