Record EU fine of 613.5 mio.$ looms for Microsoft
Quote:Record EU fine looms for Microsoft

Monday, March 22, 2004 Posted: 4:29 PM EST (2129 GMT)

BRUSSELS, Belgium (Reuters) -- European Union states have backed a proposal to fine Microsoft Corporation a record 497 million ($613.5 million) for abusing its dominance of PC operating systems, an EU member state source said.
As well as the fine, Microsoft is to be ordered to offer a version of its Windows operating system without Windows Media Player and to encourage computer makers to provide other audiovisual software.
It must also license information to make the servers of rivals more compatible with Windows desktop machines.

Full story here: http://www.cnn.com/2004/BUSINESS/03/22/mic...reut/index.html

The final decision will be made tomorrow on Wednesday, March 24, 2004.

Source: CNN.com

I can't help, but after reading this, I had a feeling of satisfaction, especially because various news sources recently reported that MS also seems to be involved in the SCO vs. Linux case.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Mar 23 2004, 06:04 AM Wrote:
Quote:I can't help, but after reading this, I had a feeling of satisfaction, especially because various news sources recently reported that MS also seems to be involved in the SCO vs. Linux case.
Like this one that I saw linked at another forum:

http://www.arie.org/doh/
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
My reaction to this post was - "Bah, just a slap on the wrist". When I looked at the link, I saw my reaction reflected there.

Quote:The fine amounts to slightly more than 1 percent of Microsoft's roughly $53 billion cash on hand and did not impress analysts and critics.

If I were Microsoft, I would consider such a fine "cost of doing business". Microsoft will not change its ways until something actually hurts. Right now, the company is a slick salesman selling rotten fish to the masses and having them think they are getting caviar. :angry:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
The problem is that this fine is already a record fine (in the EU), and a higher fine probably wouldn't have a chance now. But maybe the next time the fine is already 1 billion Euro :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Or perhaps there won't be a next time for Micro$oft? :unsure:

... :lol:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
nobbie,Mar 24 2004, 09:14 AM Wrote:But maybe the next time the fine is already 1 billion Euro :)
"Sure. Do you want cash or cheque?"
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
They'll pay it when the exchange rate dollar/euro is 1 to 1,2. That way they'll pay "only" 400 million bukz :D
Next Clarion and Alpine should sue Ford and Chevy since they put Delco and Motorcraft radios in their new vehicles which hurts the ability for them to compete.

And Chevy should sue Ford, Ford should sue Dodge, Dodge should sue Honda, Honda should sue BMW... because they use propiretary connectors on electrical components. If I want to use a Honda window switch in my Chevy I should just be able to plug it in. That or Chevy must provide an adapter free of charge.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
It certainly is not a signifigant amount to Microsoft, but it could be a start to bigger and better things. You have to start somewhere. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)