Who's in the beta?
Let's use this thread to track what Lurkers made it into the beta.

The beta test has started! Who's in? I am! (Whaddya know?)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Mar 17 2004, 10:41 PM Wrote:Let's use this thread to track what Lurkers made it into the beta.

At the time of this posting, Blizzard has not yet sent out the emails, but word is that it's "any day now."

-Bolty
I heard that the e-mails might be as early as tomorrow, based on what some alpha testers are purporting on SA. (edit: wow, I was right!)

Of course, people have been saying that for a few weeks now.

edit: I will be checking my e-mail every 6 seconds tomorrow just in case.
Good lord! Seeing this topic almost broke me in half, since I haven't gotten an e-mail from Blizzard. I really want to get into the beta, as my Diablo II addiction has faded in recent weeks... I guess this means I should actually do work at my job.

It'd be nice to be in on the ground-floor of coverage for what should be, in my opinion, the next "Lurker Lounge game".
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I never bothered to sign up for it. I'm guessing that means I won't be in it. Oh well, can't say I'll lose any sleep over it.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
JustAGuy,Mar 18 2004, 11:57 AM Wrote:Good lord! Seeing this topic almost broke me in half, since I haven't gotten an e-mail from Blizzard. I really want to get into the beta, as my Diablo II addiction has faded in recent weeks... I guess this means I should actually do work at my job.

It'd be nice to be in on the ground-floor of coverage for what should be, in my opinion, the next "Lurker Lounge game".
Don't feel too bad. I've been around for a long time and I've never beta tested anything from any company, even with an inside company connection or two. As such I'll just wait for the release and see what the beta testers are saying before even considering buying it (I don't pay companies to beta test their games).
Quote:As such I'll just wait for the release and see what the beta testers are saying before even considering buying it (I don't pay companies to beta test their games).
I was thinking about that earlier today; wouldn't it be a slap in the face if they charged us to beta test? As far as I know, the thing is free to beta test if you're selected, and pay to play for the final release. Some people would pay to beta test, and I'm not entirely sure if I would be one of them...

That was a bit of an overreaction on my part about the whole breaking in half. I would be upset for sure, but it wouldn't break me.

The thing with the beta is that you get to try it out before you buy, in addition to testing it out and having a bit of influence on balance and whatnot. If I am selected, and I really enjoy the gameplay, then hell yes, I'm going to sign up and pay-to-play. This is the only MMORPG that I have ever considered putting time into, partially because of Blizzard's reputation for quality. I guess it's company loyalty, but regardless, I figure that if there's ever a time to get into a MMORPG, now (or at retail release) is that time.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
JustAGuy,Mar 18 2004, 05:42 PM Wrote:Some people would pay to beta test, and I'm not entirely sure if I would be one of them...
My reference to "pay to beta test" is referring to paying to buy and play a game at release that has so many bugs it may as well be considered a beta. Anarchy Online, WWIIOL, et al had this problem. Major imbalances, frequent crashes to desktop (an alpha issue really), etc. Those should not exist in a release product (or at least not in number).

As for beta testing, it is not about getting to try out the game first, it is about finding bugs and testing the system out. Most people just want to beta test to be able to say they did and got to play first. They have no plans of actually testing the game out.
I'm in because of fan-site status. :) I can't wait to start. :D
:( That I didn't get an e-mail. Good luck to the rest you in the beta :ph34r:

...BTW, does anyone else find that Smilies work as acceptable punctuation? :D
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Dozer,Mar 18 2004, 10:15 PM Wrote::( That I didn't get an e-mail.  Good luck to the rest you in the beta  :ph34r:
I didn't get an e-mail either :(

Quote:...BTW, does anyone else find that Smilies work as acceptable punctuation? :D

No :blink:
Quote:My reference to "pay to beta test" is referring to paying to buy and play a game at release that has so many bugs it may as well be considered a beta.
Fair enough. I did not get into the beta as of yet (no email for me), so I guess I'm going to have to wait and see exactly how buggy it ends up.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
How do you KNOW you didn't get in? Do they send an email telling you you're unlucky?
Raziel,Mar 19 2004, 01:34 AM Wrote:How do you KNOW you didn't get in?  Do they send an email telling you you're unlucky?
http://www.battle.net/

I didn't receive an e-mail tonight.
Sorry about the spam post earlier. I let my excitment get the best of me.

I just got an email letting me know that I got into the second phase of the beta. I'll do my best to try and relay as much info as I can, though I'm not really that great of a writer. The email I got from blizzard follows.

Congratulations! You have been selected to participate in the upcoming
second phase of the World of Warcraft™ beta test!

The first phase has just begun, and we wanted to let you know that your turn
is right around the corner. In just a few weeks, we'll be emailing you the
information you'll need to create your account, download the World of
Warcraft beta, and start playing!

Until then, please be patient and do not contact us to inquire about the
beta test. In addition to sending you the email mentioned above, we will
also make an announcement on our Beta Community Site --
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com -- when your phase of the beta test has
started. Please feel free to start browsing that site now for a variety of
information on the World of Warcraft beta, such as news updates and basic
tips on playing the game.

See ya in Azeroth soon!

Donna "Katricia" Anthony
Community Manager
World of Warcraft
Signatures suck
I am in, even got the mail about it this night.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I can't remember which account I signed up as.
Whaddya know, indeed!

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
One thing to say to people who got in:

BAAAH-RAM-YOU

:( Here's to hoping for a "spawn accounts" like they did the TFT. Not holding my breath though.
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
I've been in since early in the Friends and Family alpha test back in October or so.

Here's a set of screenshots of my fun over the alpha test: http://threewave.com/~zoid/WowScreenShots/

I've had the following:
Zolen, Level 13 Human Paladin
JonTrighton, Level 24 Dwarf Paladin
UnholyChild, Level 22 Undead Priest
Zolt, Level 22 Troll Priest
Achelous, Level 24 Tauren Warrior
Zoral, Level 20 Gnome Warrior

It's been amazing playing this game and seeing it develop. The beta should be fun too!
/// Zoid.
Love the shots, Zoid.
"One day, o-n-e day..."