Looks like WoW beta will be starting soon.
It looks like the servers are working and Blizz has a web page for the server status. Beta hasnt started but looks like it will this week or next.

Im not saying we should have a WoW forum. The average MMORP player is a bit more sophisticated than the average Diablo player and min-maxers are pretty good at seeking out useful sites, so its hard to predict what kind of traffic we would have.

Im just wondering whats going on.
FAQ Wrote:Q: So, are you going to cover (insert game here) by opening a section for it?
A: The decision on the Lurker Lounge's next covered game is a big one. Bolty has set down a policy that once a game is chosen to be covered, at least one full calendar year must pass before the Lounge can cover another game. Moving to a new game will control the site's destiny for a good long time, so it's not one made lightly.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
I know that post it was made a long time ago.

I also know that when Bolty handed over the reigns he specifically mentioned making a WoW forum.
Now that WoW is starting up its very reasonable to ask whats going on concerning it.

What actually made me wonder was I saw soome rudemtery AF calculations being done for WoW on the other forum I post at.
I sincerely hope so - this community has some fine, cerebral, and entertaining people on it; if they applied their D1 and D2 analysis and play skills to WoW, this would probably be the finest WoW forum on the planet.

There would need to be a "siphon" forum though, where all of the "I hate subscription games" mail could go to, or it would threaten to overwhelm the valid gaming info.

Eager to see what happens. But if another game is chosen for focus, I'm sure it will be a worthy one.
:D
I want to see a WoW-forum for the sole purpose of watching Pete make fun of all the prepubescant morons the forum would attract. :P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Mar 16 2004, 03:27 PM] I want to see a WoW-forum for the sole purpose of watching Pete make fun of all the prepubescant morons the forum would attract.  :P
I am also eagerly anticipating this.
Not Pete himself mind you. No even anyone specific.

Rather this site has to much history and too many established personalities, to allow for the real dynamic needed to dig into a new game.

New blood would be turned off by the established structure and it would be almost impossible for most new posters to feel relaxed here for various reasons.
LL has actually develpoed something of a culture. Im not judging the culture itself but any culture that serves as a bit of abarrier to new comers.

The LL developed out of a common interest(Diablo) and is now a reflection of the people who formed it rather than a site defined by its subject.

Of course a few strong personalities who like a new game with the proper people skills can overcome all that. But I kind of doubt that will ever happen.
I don't think the LL-comunity is a closed group. We welcome people to participate in the fun of forum-whoring, but unlike "The Internet"™, we have certain standards.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote: I want to see a WoW-forum for the sole purpose of watching Pete make fun of all the prepubescant morons the forum would attract.

I would have Pete's manbabies* for this.

*not a perv
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Ghostiger, I think the way you are describing the LL now is pretty similar to the LL prior to D2. The site name really says it all, as the Lurkers were typically people who had lost the fever for the game of Diablo but kept getting drawn back to the community (and still do, interestingly enough). In spite of that, D2 took over this site, and brought in so many new people so fast that the influence of the old cliche was stretched pretty thin. The same thing could well happen again, but it requires a similar situation: a large number of the "established personalities" you refer to (particularly the people who influence the main site as well as the forums) would have to get into the new game early on, decide to take the site in that direction, and provide the kind of quality content for that game that this site provided for early D2. That kind of content draws in a lot of traffic, and it only takes about 50-100 new posters over the same of a few months to push the old establishment into the background.

Could that happen with World of Warcraft? I think it's certainly possible, if not likely. Simply being a Blizzard RPG increases the chances considerably. Being a subscription game is a turnoff to some people (including me), but I don't think that will be a major factor to the future of this site.
I plan to have a temporary beta forum for WoW as we decide if we want to cover the game. I need to update that FAQ thingy; the policy is way out of date. I no longer will be running any sections here, but instead set them up and help admins out with technical matters.

If we decide to go with WoW here, the temporary forum will turn into the general forum for WoW and other forums will be created for the game.

The forum will go up when Blizzard starts mailing CDs.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Uhh Bolty,

Far as I know Blizz'll will be sending betas online, hence the new BitTorrent tech they have been using lately. :)
WoW would be at least 3 CDs, probably more, judging by the alpha someone on my floor at my university has.

Just an FYI :)

I myself would love a WoW forum/community springing up here.
"As you all know, the World of Warcraft beta test is just around the corner. While we plan on having several ways available to distribute the files to everyone, our primary method will be through the Blizzard Downloader program, which uses BitTorrent technology.
To ensure that your system works with the Blizzard Downloader, please try downloading the World of Warcraft Cinematics: Sneak Peak or the Gryphon Ride Movie. If you encounter any problems, please check the BitTorrent FAQ or contact wowsupport@blizzard.com for help.

A fraction of our testers, who are behind firewalls, will not have access to the BitTorrent download method. If you fall into this category, an alternative download method will be made available to you within a few days of the initial Blizzard Downloader release. "
I would consider helping to set up a WoW forum.

However, I was focused on something else in my life during the WoW beta sign up, so I am pretty sure I did not get into it.

Booo, Hissssssss.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 17 2004, 09:48 AM Wrote:However, I was focused on something else in my life during the WoW beta sign up, so I am pretty sure I did not get into it.

Booo, Hissssssss.
Ah, don't worry Occhi. There are much better games out there than WoW. Trust me on that one. B)
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Uh, okay, maybe I should just set up the WoW forum now, then. Looks like things are gearing up.

And while yes, it would be great to have a WoW community here, what is needed is someone very dedicated to run the section for it, like Lemming does for D1. And that person(s) would have 20 times the amount of work Lemming has to do, since the game will be active and hot.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I did. But have the beta participants been notified yet? Should I be disappointed yet?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Mar 18 2004, 01:54 AM Wrote:I did.  But have the beta participants been notified yet?  Should I be disappointed yet?
I got my mail this night, so yes, they should be notified, at least some.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I for one will not be playing that game, i am sorry but if i get in{yes i signed up} i will try to keep open mind and not keep putting it down and how it just strikes me as childish and no actuall concept on its making, far be it that it carries the warcraft name and has my favorite race, but why could they not do this with diablo instead??
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
Hi,

Bolty was nice enough to make a WoW forum. Could we move this thread there? And perhaps make an anchored thread that directs WoW posters to the WoW forum.

TIA,

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?