Some help plugging my TV into my PC
Just bought a Sony KV32FX68 32" widescreen television set and I've got the necessary equipment to plug the thing into my computer so I can use the television screen for my PC-ventures.

By mistake I bought an s-video-cable to hook up the tv set with my PC, when I needed an s-vhs cable. However, a friend was nice enough to lend me his s-video-->s-vhs adapter and so I now have all the necessary equipment to perform the procedure.

So I hook up the stuff as follows:

*PC* --> *Adapter* --> *s-video-cable* --> *TV*

Here comes the tricky part: I am unable to get the PC-image onto my TV. I don't really know what to do. My friend told me I had to setup the system somehow by playing around with "display" in one of the sub-menus of windows XP.

I have a Geforce 4 ti 4600.

edit: I managed to figure it out, but now I need to know how to channel the sound from the PC into the speakers in the TV. Do I need more cables for that?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
With my Radeon 9500 Pro on my desktop system it's in the advanced settings in the Display control panel (right click on the desktop and goto properties). On my laptop I just right click on the desktop and tell it to output to TV. It really depends on your system, try this link out Step-By-Step Television Output Instructions.
I have a kv32v65 tv witch uses s-vidio to conect to my comp.(actualy I use my dennon reciever as a swithing unit)the s-vid carries no sound ,and i would imagine neither does the s-vhs (never heard of it)

you will need to run audio cables. if you have no way to hide the wires you should be able to run 1 cable to the left chanell where it will split the signal into "stereo" also if you want surround sound your tv or reciever, pre/pro may be able to create this from a stereo signal.

If you want true digital surround you'l need some fairly expencive digital audio cable for this. Also some or all of your components may lack the proper inputs /outputs for this. Make sure you know what connections are available to you on your computer, tv, and any other device that will come between the two.

Try checking out WWW.hometheatermag.com they have a lot of good convergence articles there.
Having successfully managed to hook up my PC to my TV, the next step was to get some sort of sound system. Seeing as money's not falling out of my ass these days, I had to be thrifty, so I bought a Creative 7.1 surround package for about 1400 NOK.. which should be $150-200. But alas when I got home, I discovered this was a PC sound system not made for tv or DVD. You even had to have a specific Creative sound card to use this.

Nowhere on the package did it say that this particular sound system was PC-only, so now I have to lug the heavy thing back down to the store and get my money back. Gah!

Any tips on what to buy? I'm looking for a 5.1/7.1 surround system in the $150-250 price range. I know that's extremely limited, but it's not a high priority of mine right now.
Does your geforce support 7.1 chanels? I highly reccomend reading all your owners manuals to find out exactly what you can do .Reaserch what is out there be for you go. could save you more frustration. go to a high end electronics store and talk to the sales people there. even if you dont buy there you'l get better info than you'd ever get at circut city or best buy.

Go to an independent computer shop. The people there are usualy teck junkies! make sure they explane exactly how to set it up. this way you can be sure they understand what you want.

Make sure you know how many omes your audio sorce pushes and get speakers that are driven at a matching lvl

There are plenty of 5.1 and maybe a few 7.1 sat. systems out there in your price range and a lot of them dont sound bad at all!

Thats all i can think of for now . Just ask a ton of questions where ever you go!
I just use my computer sound system and lay on my bed and watch movies. When I bought it I got it for 65$ from NewEgg and it was a SWEET deal then (this was last May). These speakers are amazing, I can't complain about them and now they are only 47$ at Amazon with free shipping.
Z-640

review

I strongly suggest this system to anyone looking into computer surround sound. I currently have it hooked up to a built in soundstorm system on my A7N8X Deluxe mobo. (note to anyone using said motherboard, despite it getting mobo of the year it has a wire crossed on some of the older models, I have rev. 2.0 and it still has this problem, so in order to get the Center/Sub to work correctly you have to have the plug half way out).
Thanks for the replies, all, but I've discovered that what I need is a surround amplifier which can be connected to all my electronic equipment (PC, TV, PS2, DVD, Gamecube). If I bought a regular surround system (without the amplifier), I'd have to switch cables all the time. With an amplfier, I can change equipment by the press of a button.
bernard shakey Wrote:Does your geforce support 7.1 chanels?

lol :lol:

My Radeon doesn't support 7.1 channels, I guess I need to upgrade :D
1) Getting the video onto your TV requires fiddling with the "Video" options on your TV. I.e. switching between Video 1, Video 2, etc. Shouldn't require much, if anything else, from your computer.

2) Yes, you need more cables to hook up your audio. And probably a bit more than just cables, to boot.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
It's called a "receiver". The "amplifier", IIRC, is what is INSIDE the receiver. Just a small nit. Note that this really only applies to home audio. Car audio is a different beast altogether. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I bought a Pioneer surround sound system which included an amplifier/receiver and 5 speakers. I've gotten my GC, PS2, TV, PC and DVD-player hooked into the thing, but whenever I tune it into my PC, I get some sort of humming noice when I crank up the volume, which can be quite irritating.
Firstly I'd check to make sure nothing is causing interference on your audio cable (mine runs close to my vid card, and when it's plugged into the onboard audio, it made a very loud static noise, so I had to get a seperate sound card to be able to use the sound at all). Also, I'd check to make sure you don't have a mic too close to the speakers causing feedback. And check to see your cables are all hooked up properly.

Just a few tips.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Thanks. I'll check the things you mentioned. My brother also said I should unplug my mic because it could cause interference. I did, and there was still this humming sound. It might be the audio-cable. I'll have to check it.
I'll just drag this thread up again instead of making a new one.

Problem #1
I'm still having sound difficulties. Whenever I play a Playstation2 or Gamecube-game, the sound is perfectly fine. Same when I watch a DVD. When I listen to an mp3, play a game on my PC or see a movie or tv-series form my PC, I hear the same humming sound Roland talked about. My brother said that one idea would be to get a shorter audio cable. The one I have now is about 45 feet long. I might just need 1/3 of that.

Question #1:
Could the length of the audio cable create this humming?

Problem #2
Whenever I crank the volume up to an audible level, I sometime hear the tv-audio signal in the background on top of the audio-signals coming from the PC. This is *very* frustrating.

Question #2:
Other than plugging out my "Cable-TV"-cable, is there anything I can do to remove the audio-signal from the TV whenever I use the PCs audio signal?

The last problem is irrellevant, though, if I don't find a way to eliminate or decrease the amount of humming, as the volume and consequently the humming, must be quite loud for me to be able to hear the tv-signal over the PC-signal. I mean, I can hear the tv-signal when the volume is at a reasonable level, it's just that I can't hear it clearly.
At least on my Pioneer receiver, if the "tape 2" button is unknowingly activated then selecting any other source will cause interference among the multiple inputs. Also, the humming could be cause by running power cables next to the audio cables.

good luck
naverone,Apr 25 2004, 01:06 PM Wrote:At least on my Pioneer receiver, if the "tape 2" button is unknowingly activated then selecting any other source will cause interference among the multiple inputs. Also, the humming could be cause by running power cables next to the audio cables.

good luck
I get that with my JVC RX-715V too. The really annoying part is that there is only the tiniest icon on my display telling me Tape 2 Monitor is on. I always think I've blown my speakers when I inadvertantly turn it on :)

The length, quality, and position of cables will affect sound. Short, high-quality cables that aren't routed near power sources will give you the best sound. It makes no sense to have a nice audio set-up, only to have the sound ruined by lousy cables incorrectly routed.
[ Wrote:Angel,Apr 24 2004, 06:36 AM] I'll just drag this thread up again instead of making a new one.

Problem #1
I'm still having sound difficulties. Whenever I play a Playstation2 or Gamecube-game, the sound is perfectly fine. Same when I watch a DVD. When I listen to an mp3, play a game on my PC or see a movie or tv-series form my PC, I hear the same humming sound Roland talked about. My brother said that one idea would be to get a shorter audio cable. The one I have now is about 45 feet long. I might just need 1/3 of that.

Question #1:
Could the length of the audio cable create this humming?
All electrical wiring will act as an antenna for electromagnetic waves. The longer the wiring, the bigger the antenna. Insulated cable is one way to solve this.

Also look for EMF generators (eg refridgerators, air conditioners etc) on the opposite side of the wall you run your cable along.

This problem occurred frequently in the days of dialup and phone cables.
But how can I keep my power cables and my audio cables separate when they're inches away form each other when connected to the PC and the surround receiver.
[ Wrote:Angel,Apr 26 2004, 06:33 AM] But how can I keep my power cables and my audio cables separate when they're inches away form each other when connected to the PC and the surround receiver.
Your power cords are heavilly insulated... so not a problem.. if your audio cables are not they could be picking up radio waves even...