Another battle.net problem
first of all, id like to say hi and to say that im glad to be here. though im not so new at diablo, i am at diablo multiplayer (played only once when i was in austria). so, now i want to start playing it online.
here's the problem. i click the multiplayer, make my character, and then it says
"Searching for the fastest battle.net server..." it doesnt last long (20 sec top), and than it says:
"Unable to connect to the battle.net. If you are using a modem to access your service provider and are not configured for dial-up networking, you may have to initiate the connection manually."

the thing is, i connect to the internet even before starting diablo, and therefore, i dont see how it cannot connect. ive read in this forum that you have to allow the computer to use the diablo server or something, which i dont know how to do. another thing, would it help if i did something with my firewall and what?

thanks in advance.
I am by no means an expert on this but since I play through a router which has a firewall built in, it was necessary for me to open ports which Diablo requires in order to play on battlenet. The ports required for Diablo1 are 6112-6119 TCP and UDP both out and in. If you are playing through a firewall you will need to open those ports. I cannot tell you how to do this since I do not know your operating system but in XP you would go to network connections in control panel and right click on LAN Connection and select the advanced tab. Perhaps those more knowledgeable could be more specific.
yes, i am using XP windows. will changing that port mess up something else on my computer? anyone else knows anything that can help?
thenryb, thanx :)
ok, i've tried to find it in my control panel, but i couldnt (doh!). ill send email to my brother now, maybe he'll know. if i find the solution, ill post it here.
I would suggest you start here and follow the steps 1 through 6. The instructions are really quite good.http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adb0222p Step 4 , in particular, deals with firewalls and routers and opening the proper ports. The first few steps (such as download the latest patch) can probably be skipped.
my brother said that it isnt the firewall. he said i need the original key for diablo and then i need a little program that is gonna put the new key into the previous installation. anyone knows anything more? like, where can i find the key?
Quote: my brother said that it isnt the firewall. he said i need the original key for diablo and then i need a little program that is gonna put the new key into the previous installation. anyone knows anything more? like, where can i find the key?

Nowhere. Diablo doesn't have a CD-key.

Are you running v1.09?

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Hey..I doubt it's that complicated.. I had that same problem some time back... You need to use a General or Master Account internet connection.. For Example (I use AOL..I had to convert my account to a General Account before I could play on-line) You probable need to do the same. Either that or use a general account.