Anime anyone?
:D Indeed ;)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Stop showing off. :P

Note: Anything provocative about this post is simply a product of your sick, sick minds.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:Ok, time to again shine the spotlight on my stupidity. I have some vague idea of what they are, but, how about a short course - Graphic Macros 101?

I'm at the library right now, so I can't give examples, but I'll try.

"Macro" in this sense is short for "image macro"; basically, an image that expresses an idea. They're commonly made and/or used for quotes and such that are often used (for example, I have a 'RTFM' macro I can put up here once I get home).

Another good example is one I posted earlier in this thread. The entry for gold from the periodic table, subtitled 'comedy' - it's a reference from Something Awful, where people would label great posts 'comedy gold'.

Somebody else could give you a better definition (DeeBye, want to jump in?) but hopefully that helped abit.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Oh, ok. I had applied my definition of macro being a short script to drive a program to perform a multi-step procedure. I imagined a little utility where, say, you picked a picture from the left column, formatting/font on the right and then typed in the text you wanted and *poof* out pops your clever graphic all ready to host and post. My uderstanding of what you are saying is that you have all these graphics pre-made sitting in a massive directory somewhere all set to go given the right situation comes up.

As an aside, I just got my cable access set up. First site - DSLReports for a speed test - 2902 kb down! Second site - Lurker Lounge of course. :D
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:My uderstanding of what you are saying is that you have all these graphics pre-made sitting in a massive directory somewhere all set to go given the right situation comes up.

Yep. I have this strange compulsion to collect them. I have a metric ton, but many are vulgar or outright crude, so I can't use them here. <_<

I need to start playing around in Photoshop; I've only actually made a handful of macros myself, most I've found from various places.

Quote:As an aside, I just got my cable access set up. First site - DSLReports for a speed test - 2902 kb down!

I hate you. I just spent 44 hours downloading a 767mb file. :angry:

... Definitely going to have to look into getting Charter Hi-Speed, or something...
Quote:"Macro" in this sense is short for "image macro"; basically, an image that expresses an idea. They're commonly made and/or used for quotes and such that are often used

The thing that I find interesting about this is comparing it to the various forms of leet speak or the abbreviations that you see all over the net (but not on the lounge). Both leet speak and the abbreviations could be said to be people expressing ideas in a creative manner. Also it could be said that they are both done for "quotes and such that are often used" as you say. So I see alot of similiarities between the "Macros" and these other forms of expression. Which makes it kind of interesting that Macros are loved by many here at the lounge while the other forms of expression are severely frowned upon. Not that it really matters to me, I just find it an interesting observation.
WarLocke,Mar 8 2004, 10:45 PM Wrote:I hate you.&nbsp; I just spent 44 hours downloading a 767mb file. :angry:
Hmmm.... Somebody else in the neighborhood must be sharing the pipe. It slowed down now.... to 2788 kbit down! Let's see - 767 mbyte file @ 2788 kbit/sec = 348.5 kbyte/sec = 36.7 minutes. Gee, can that be right? I guess it must be. :P
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
As promised, here are the macros I mentioned:

[Image: rtfm_futurama.jpg]

And here's an example of my own macros:

[Image: WL_SOA_OhShi.jpg]

And finally, an image by Wrath, showing that text isn't necessary for a good macro:

[Image: Wrath_frodofailed.jpg]

[Image: emote_ninja.gif]

Quote:Which makes it kind of interesting that Macros are loved by many here at the lounge while the other forms of expression are severely frowned upon.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I find that many macros require some thought to 'get'; certainly more than 'OMG PWNED NUB" does, anyway. Maybe that's just me.

Quote:Gee, can that be right? I guess it must be.

I am going to find out where you live. I swear. :(
This has nothing to do with the topic.

Could people please be mindful of the number of images in their signature? I went home to get drunk for my birthday, so I was restricted to dialup, and images take FOREVER to load on dialup.

*also wonders why this thread turned into Chateau WarLocke*
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Quote:*also wonders why this thread turned into Chateau WarLocke*

Hey now... :(

Yeah, I figured having to load my signature several times per page might be annoying (although not really bandwidth-intensive, my micros are only 3 or 4 kilobytes each), so I converted them to links. But signatures are limited to 1,000 characters, and I'm already using 700-something, blargh.

In short: Sorry. :(
WarLocke,Mar 8 2004, 05:19 PM Wrote:Somebody else could give you a better definition (DeeBye, want to jump in?) but hopefully that helped abit.
You've pretty much covered it. The best macros are visual representations of one's reaction to a post.

(btw, posting "comedy gold" at SA will get you banned these days :))
Count Duckula,Mar 9 2004, 03:00 AM Wrote:Could people please be mindful of the number of images in their signature?
Its not the number of images, its the size. I've got three images in mine but that is a total of 14k, not a download burden by any measure. The graphics for the background and logos take considerably more than that.

Quote:Yeah, I figured having to load my signature several times per page might be annoying (although not really bandwidth-intensive, my micros are only 3 or 4 kilobytes each), so I converted them to links.

Having your signature on multiple messages in a thread increases the bandwidth use by exactly zero. Plus, any subsequent views of it in other threads requires only enough to check that the image info is the same and then it is pulled from the cache.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:(btw, posting "comedy gold" at SA will get you banned these days :) )

[Image: fishoshi.jpg]

At least I can say 'w-hat' and 'am i rite?' and 'o rly?' here... :lol:

Quote:Having your signature on multiple messages in a thread increases the bandwidth use by exactly zero.

I was thinking more of the screen real-estate. When your sig's larger than your post, maybe it's time to condense it, eh?
Sorry WarLocke, let me clarify. This started out as a "favorite anime" thread. Now it's turned into the "WarLocke and DeeBye show off their pretty pictures for the gazillionth time" thread. I know you didn't mean to, but it sorta happened.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
:(

OK, I get the point.
Count Duckula,Mar 9 2004, 12:43 AM Wrote:This started out as a "favorite anime" thread.
It started out as a stupid thread. Re-read the first post. It's not that I have anything against anime fans; if the first post wasn't so laughable I would have not replied and just moved on. This thread was doomed for failure from the get-go.