Awards Night
Ok, so the show isn't pointless. It's still trite though.

Quote:I don't think anyone here would waste their time to vote for someone on something as trite as "American Idol".

Seeing that comment doesn't surprise me, but seeing it from someone who actually watches the show does

Yes, I do watch it, I watched last night. I think it's a psychological problem. I dislike the concept of American Karaoke Night (albeit with mostly talented singers) but I can't help but watch it. A car wreck, like I said before. The thing is, whereas you watch to see the good singing, I watch to see the failures -- like the girl who was voted off last night. She has talent, but apparently not enough, and her performance was dismal (actually, both of them). Personally, I thought the big football player would be voted out. His performance was terrible, mainly by choice of song.

There's something to be said about watching someone sing and miss that high note, or be flat for an entire bar. When they recover, it's almost like no one noticed. When they end on a flat/sharp note, it leaves a lasting impression in the listener's mind (hence the expression, "sour note"), and I think that's what influenced people on the large, big-haired girl (Jennifer something?). Her performance for the most part was good, but she was screaming bits of it, and the end just made me cringe. That's why I watch, for that wonderful cringe. I can't really get that anywhere else.

As for the American Idol performers vs. Professionals, the American Idols have a way harder time. For the professional, they just sing and get paid, and if they have an off night, so be it. These American Idol kids have to sing perfectly, every night, singing very difficult songs (in most cases). If they fail at it, they go home, kissing their sweet dreams goodbye; it's not even close to that in the real world. My favourite example of poor live singing and good studio singing is the lead singer from the Black Crowes. He is AWFUL live, but on the records, it sounds just right.

Quote: But if the show didn't exist, would anyone who matters in the recording industry ever hear her voice?
That's true, but if she really wanted to be a superstar, she has that quality, and there's no reason why she couldn't do it like other people have done it before. A talent like that, with a face like that, will most likely be heard by someone in the record industry. This show is more like a cheap shortcut for the record execs; they just say, "who wants it? Come get it!" The fact that a hundred thousand people show up is fault of their own damn laziness. ;)
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*