The 7 tombs in act 2
Just a question. The tomb with Duriel is randomly chosen among the 7 ones (for the interested ones, based on the map seed and it seems with the -seed command, it would be the same all the time). Anyway, in addition, the game seem to pick another of the 7 tombs (and never the same as Duriel) randomly as well. Do one of them have some special property or content I have never noticed?

Also, unrelated, for act 3, the game do some rnd[2] and thus pick among 2 things. Is there something similar there? No other such randomness things are done at the same part of act initiation.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
ACT2 --> It could be the tomb where the special unique monster Ancient Kaa the Soulless spawn ???
myrdinn,Feb 25 2004, 10:18 AM Wrote:ACT2 --> It could be the tomb where the special unique monster Ancient Kaa the Soulless spawn ???
If he is only in one of the tombs, then it is probably that. Thanks.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Feb 25 2004, 05:11 AM Wrote:Also, unrelated, for act 3, the game do some rnd[2] and thus pick among 2 things. Is there something similar there? No other such randomness things are done at the same part of act initiation.
How many times? There is the matter of the positioning of the 6 temples in the 3 of the areas of Kurast which have 2 temples each.

There is also the posibility it is determining how to layout the connectivity of the jungle area. Sometimes the Spider Forest will connect directly to the Flayer Jungle and the Great Marsh, while other time the connection is only to the Great Marsh. Off hand I suspect it is for setting up which pattern for this to use.
I should have said *a* rnd[2]. So can't be temples, I think that is different though.
Quote:If he is only in one of the tombs, then it is probably that. Thanks.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure that the tomb containing Ancient Kaa is a much larger false tomb than the others. It may be the same size of the real tomb, while the other false tombs are often fairly small. Sometimes while I'm tomb farming for xp, I can tell when Ancient Kaa is coming up due to the size of the tomb.
Baajikiil,Feb 25 2004, 12:01 PM Wrote:Not only that, I'm pretty sure that the tomb containing Ancient Kaa is a much larger false tomb than the others.  It may be the same size of the real tomb
Hi

The tomb of Kaa is always the same size as the real tomb, the five other false tombs are much smaller. Kaa always seems to spawn in the same place, at the end of a long corridor, unfortunately he doesn't seem to drop good stuff ;)

good hunting
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
He dropped me a General's Tan Do Li Ga flail once, but that was waaaaay back when I was using an illicit copy of D2C...
Ive also heard something bout a uniq monster called Lucifer, it should be somewhere around the plateu's in act 5, in one of thsoe area's witch u enter by a red TP

where can i find it IF it exists ?
Jarulf,Feb 25 2004, 09:11 AM Wrote:The tomb with Duriel is randomly chosen among the 7 ones (for the interested ones, based on the map seed and it seems with the -seed command, it would be the same all the time).
My sample size is fairly small (because this is not what I was testing for) but I have, over time, seen several instances in which this does not seem to hold.

Unfortunately the testing in question was an investigation about AS/TToTR dungeon generation and TToTR choices and reeks of Black Magic and Protomatter, so I won't discuss the details here.

But I would not be willing to bet more than about $10 on the issue either way, based on what I think I've seen.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Crystalion,Feb 26 2004, 10:53 AM Wrote:My sample size is fairly small (because this is not what I was testing for) but I have, over time, seen several instances in which this does not seem to hold.

Unfortunately the testing in question was an investigation about AS/TToTR dungeon generation and TToTR choices and reeks of Black Magic and Protomatter, so I won't discuss the details here.

But I would not be willing to bet more than about $10 on the issue either way, based on what I think I've seen.
Is it correct to assume that even if you use the same seed with the -seed command, the tomb will vary?

By the way, this would be the same for single player games in same difficulty (same map seed), does it vary too?

I don't recall if there is any conditional test for loading a character and seting the map seed, seems there has to be. Or there is some intermediate chamge to the map seed. I have to check. I am just collecting scattered findings in the code, not testing anything or even running the game currently.
Nothing in D2 is called Lucifer.