Deeply disturbing, grotesque, perverted and vile
"I know me what game that there Angel-dude is talking about. I done seen that trailer already, Ma!"
[/slack_jawed_yokel]

Yeah, but for those of you who didn't, here is the trailer for the upcoming survival horror game ..

Silent Hill 4

(dramatic music comes to a full, eerie stop)

I have to see this thing again.

SH1 had me crouching behind the couch with my best mate several years back, trying to squeeze some sort of comfort out of my friend's playstation-controller, repeating the following words over and over: "the people who made this game are utterly insane."

SH2 was played several years later, "much wiser now, a lifetime of memories" (*cough*), but was in it of itself a less scarier game. (I did appreciate this game more than the original however due to President Evils plot analysis over on gamefaqs.com)

SH3 was scary. Really scary. I've only completed it once, but I feel that's enough. I didn't get the "these people are *insane*!"-type feeling when I played SH2, but they managed to create an atmosphere which called for this remark once again. Creepily eerie. Eerily creepy. God I love these games.

SH4 will be enormous. How they will be able to exceed the standards set by the previous games, I have no idea, but it'll be fun (and scary as hell) to see how they go about it.

Nice to see they got the babies back into the game. Nothing's as grotesque as beating evil, sinister small infants to a bloody pulp with a long metallic pole.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a spot behind the couch calling my name.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Speaking of scary games, I've been playing System Shock 2 lately. It's freaking me right out. I can't believe I didn't buy it when it first came out.
Heard of "Manhunt" before? That one's raising a BIG stink in my province, as there has been no regulatory "rating" action taken against it. I don't know much about it, but, from the sounds of it, has something to do with an escaped serial killer, and making snuff films.... Sounds just great.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Going with this thread's norm I shall too, bring forth a scary game in order to hijack this thread :)

Has any of you heard of Nosferatu: Malachi's wrath (or was it "The wrath of Malachi"?), anyway, that game has a unique 60's television graphics to it (which do not harm the beauty of the game whatsoever yet give an eerie feeling of OLD) and random zombies popping out of the floor with a shriek of pure lust for blood while the wood splinters fly around everywhere...

Needless to say, it was one hell of a scary game and playing it straight was quite an achievement (of course you'll notice your knees are shaking after you stopped playing it).
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
DeeBye,Feb 20 2004, 02:12 AM Wrote:Speaking of scary games, I've been playing System Shock 2 lately.
Ah... Another convert.

Join us.

System Shock 2 is one of those rare games where you wind up talking about it in an IRC channel without much prompting, causing everyone else in channel to wonder why in the name of God you're discussing about why monkeys freak you out so much.

Pfft. Mutated zombie babies are so old hat. You want scary? Try errant protocol droids.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I don't know much about system shock 2...
currous, but not that much.

The thing is, I am not scare of the zombies, or the dead babies, or even the nurses....

It's the radio static that still scares me.

If I hear some unexpectedly, my heart starts to race, and I have to remind myself it was only a game....

If it happens in the dark, that dosen't help much....
The wind has no destination.
Quote:It's the radio static that still scares me.

That, and when the music has walking noises in it that seem to be just slightly desynced from your own. You walk, it starts up. Stop walking, it goes for a second, then stops. :ph34r:
NiteFox,Feb 22 2004, 09:16 AM Wrote:Ah... Another convert.

Join us.

System Shock 2 is one of those rare games where you wind up talking about it in an IRC channel without much prompting, causing everyone else in channel to wonder why in the name of God you're discussing about why monkeys freak you out so much.

Pfft.  Mutated zombie babies are so old hat.  You want scary? Try errant protocol droids.
I've been intentionally limiting my progress through SS2. It's kinda like the "Friends" episode when Joey hides his "The Shining" novel in the freezer because he's too scared to read another chapter.

SS2 gives me the freakies.

It's right up there with Silent Hill, Parasite Eve, and Resident Evil.

SUPER BONUS FEATURE!
If you like creepy games, I highly recommend that you check out The Mystery of Time and Space. It's a Flash game that you can play right in your browser. It's a point 'n click adventure game, reminiscent of Myst, that has a lot of creepy undertones. It should keep you occupied for most of a wasteful afternoon.
TMoTaS

that isn't all that frightening, but that intelelogiclock is a nightmare...

20 differnt logic puzzles that you have to get right in a row...
i have most of the game memmorised, except for that, and the green wall puzzle
Nightwind,Feb 23 2004, 12:12 AM Wrote:and the green wall puzzle
The green wall puzzle was a bitch.

Just think "Tetris" and work your way from right to left (or left to right). When you get down to 3 or 4 non-green tiles you can advance.

The "odd man out" puzzle was fairly frustrating :)
I recall something about Ecstaticabeing scary and graphic (for spheric rendered!) game.
They seeeeee you....ruuuuuun....RUUUUUUUN!!!!!

I'm sooooorrrryyyyy....

*wets pants*

Edit: I played through SS2 until the part where the red ninja guys appeared. They were just annoying =P I'd have to say that the scariest part of the game were the exploding suicide "protocol droids". *shudder*
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
I have found no game scarier than Diablo I. Sure, there are much gorier games out there, but only Diablo has ever given me nightmares.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Nightwind,Feb 23 2004, 05:12 AM Wrote:that isn't all that frightening, but that intelelogiclock is a nightmare...

20 differnt logic puzzles that you have to get right in a row...
i have most of the game memmorised, except for that, and the green wall puzzle
After the first couple I figured out what to look for. The logic is actually very simple so you don't have to memorize the sequence.
SPOILER
***********w**h**i**c**h***********************
**************i**t**e**m**********************
*****************i**s**************************
********d**i**f**f**e**r**e**n**t***************

I just got past that level - back to wasting time! :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Diablo I is a classic gothic horror! Look how its brought all us together :lol:
Anybody remember playing the original Doom with the lights turned off and the sound turned way up?
Amazon Basin Member
"This is my mistake. Let me make it good." - REM
LochnarITB,Feb 23 2004, 04:14 PM Wrote:After the first couple I figured out what to look for.  The logic is actually very simple so you don't have to memorize the sequence.
I assumed that everyone knew it was a "one of these things is not like the other" puzzle :huh:

It seemed clear to me after the second iteration.

That being said, the toughest part of that puzzle is the fact that it carried on for like 20 iterations. I got most of them right quick, but a few of them stumped me to the point that I was doing random clicking.
One of the bad changes from Diablo to DII is how much less creepy DII is. Look at how much of it happens outside in green, grassy fields or sunscorched deserts. Even the parts that are in unlit dungeons aren't the same. Hell is certainly much less scary (pun averted! :D ).
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Vaguely, but I think Quake is the one that really got me. So many nasty surprises during the first times playing that game. That wall that crashes down behind you suddenly revealing a pack of fiends (if you wheel around in time to see them before they eviscerate you, anyway)!

Return to Castle Wolfenstein has it's moments too. It's a much more suspenseful, cinematic type of creepy instead of the "boo!" around every corner. The occult aspects here really stand out much more than most games in my opinion because you become immersed in this very realistic WW2 period game beforehand instead of firing up the game and saying "OK, I'm some superhero with a rocket launcher and my mission is to blow up zombies and fiends."
DeeBye,Feb 24 2004, 01:21 AM Wrote:I assumed that everyone knew it was a "one of these things is not like the other" puzzle  :huh:
I was told that concitsntly, but very few of them actually looked different to me,
especially the pictures.

I brute forced most of them.