VK issues
Hey all,

Got an issue. I loaded up the old VK mod, and while I am able to created new chars, I am unable to see my old original VK chars that I copied from my old machine. The files are all named modiab0x.drv and they normally get deposited into the windows folder. They are hidden files. More info: my old characters were copied from my old machine running XP and this is Vista. The characters that I create now, do get named exactly the same as my old chars that I can not see in the game anymore. So, basically I deleted the files called modiab0.drv and modiab1.drv because I created 2 new characters. I fully expected to see my 2 new characters and my 6 old characters, since I have all 8 files in the windows folder, but I can only see the 2 new ones. I quickly installed VK ME also, and could not see my old ME characters either.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Quote:Hey all,

Got an issue. I loaded up the old VK mod, and while I am able to created new chars, I am unable to see my old original VK chars that I copied from my old machine. The files are all named modiab0x.drv and they normally get deposited into the windows folder. They are hidden files. More info: my old characters were copied from my old machine running XP and this is Vista. The characters that I create now, do get named exactly the same as my old chars that I can not see in the game anymore. So, basically I deleted the files called modiab0.drv and modiab1.drv because I created 2 new characters. I fully expected to see my 2 new characters and my 6 old characters, since I have all 8 files in the windows folder, but I can only see the 2 new ones. I quickly installed VK ME also, and could not see my old ME characters either.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
You are afflicted with the old computer name issue. If your new computer does not have the same name as your old one, characters will not show up. This was also true with Diablo in 1.07 and earlier versions and this explains why you cannot see your VK ME characters.
Quote:You are afflicted with the old computer name issue. If your new computer does not have the same name as your old one, characters will not show up. This was also true with Diablo in 1.07 and earlier versions and this explains why you cannot see your VK ME characters.

A-HA!. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember it discussed on the DSF. Your honor, you are the MAN!

BTW, what are you up to these days, Th?

I quit WOW about 4 months ago (for good this time) and not really looking to come back. PVP and PVP warriros are dead and I am played out anyway. I tried Warhammer, and while PVP there really is superior, the rest of the game basically sucks. I quit after 2 months. Looking for something to play until Star Wars The Old Republic or D3 comes out, whichever is first (I bet SWTOR).

Got the idea of VK b/c I remembered that LtBr mentioned to me a while back that he did a 3@30 with a VK Warrior on his break from WOW, which was very very impressive to me. Gonna try to repeat that.

Thanks for the help and thanks for the games we played.... from what seems like ages ago.
Quote:A-HA!. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember it discussed on the DSF. Your honor, you are the MAN!

BTW, what are you up to these days, Th?

I quit WOW about 4 months ago (for good this time) and not really looking to come back. PVP and PVP warriros are dead and I am played out anyway. I tried Warhammer, and while PVP there really is superior, the rest of the game basically sucks. I quit after 2 months. Looking for something to play until Star Wars The Old Republic or D3 comes out, whichever is first (I bet SWTOR).

Got the idea of VK b/c I remembered that LtBr mentioned to me a while back that he did a 3@30 with a VK Warrior on his break from WOW, which was very very impressive to me. Gonna try to repeat that.

Thanks for the help and thanks for the games we played.... from what seems like ages ago.

Let's see...post WOW I played some LoD until HGL came out, played HGL for a couple of months, quit that and played OBLIVION for a few months until it got repetitive. Now I am back playing HC LoD with the gang at RBD. Interspersed with these games has been a little Classic D with the Immortal Hero variant and some Hellfire and its mods, including the VK Hellfire Mod and The Dark. I always thought VK was the best of the Diablo mods, but by the time I started playing that most had switched to VK ME and by the time I started playing that in earnest Blizzard came out with the 1.08 patch which, among other things, stopped 1.07 mod play on battlenet. Anyway, like you I am just in a holding pattern waiting for the next game (probably D3) to emerge. No temptation here to return to WOW. Look forward to hooking up with you again:)
LtBr and I first hooked up in vanilla VK, played that through all the wacky changes like max Sorc STR of 10 and Teleport costing like 80 mana (happy Telekilling), then moved on to VK ME. I had Warrior 40s in both, and I think he had 40s in both for all 3 classes ;-) That boy was the best Diablo player I ever saw (and I've played with some wicked players), since he was almost equally good in all 3 classes. Not counting all the other mods... Dr Zed, Abysmal, Superdiablo........... Good times.....

Quote:Look forward to hooking up with you again:)

Ditto :-).
Hey Ashock,
I was just thinking about reinstalling Diablo or D2 today and saw this post. It's been years since I last played either game (even longer for Classic with mods) so it should almost be like playing a new game, right? ;)Too bad bnet no longer supports mod-games; those were a blast to play way back when! IIRC, like Thenryb (/me waves) I liked the VK mod the most.

If you feel really adventurous and want to try a new PvP MMO, then check out Darkfall and let me know if it is any good. The limited availability is a major drawback, but at least the players won't be restricted as they are in most MMO's in regard to what part of the globe they are playing from. Darkfall is supposed to be a cross between an FPS and MMO based on a skill system rather than character levels.

I am still waiting for that good game that we can all play together.