Anagram Help
Okay, I got an email from my grandmother the other day asking the question at the end of this post. She's usually really good at these sorts of things, and I suck. Give me a logic problem anyday over this. But I took it on to attempt an answer. I'm somewhat stymied, so I figured I'd pass it along and see if greater minds than mine can concoct an answer. Remember, use ONLY the letters provided. The clue is...

"What a photographer needs when shooting a sports event."

Using only these letters, snatermdnjgge, can you solve the question. It's two words, the first word has 4 letters, the last one 8.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Feb 14 2004, 10:20 PM Wrote:"What a photographer needs when shooting a sports event."

Using only these letters, snatermdnjgge, can you solve the question. It's two words, the first word has 4 letters, the last one 8.
"I'd like to buy a vowel Pat. An I." "What do we have Vanna?"

What are you trying to do, see how many of us you can wrap up in finding the answer when you know the question is rigged? 13 letters.... 4+8=12.... Nope, I wasn't taught "new" math like you kids today but I don't think even your way of new fangled figgurin can make 12=13. ;)

I certainly don't have the answer though, even with a letter taken away. Any 4 letter words I can make leave too much mess to make any 8 letter word I've ever seen - in english anyway. If anyone does see an answer in there, please post it asap so I don't have to look at it anymore.

[edit] to != too
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I tried this using Wordsmith.org's Internet Anagram Server (yeah, I'm a cheater). Nothing even comes close to meeting the requirements.
...I got this exactly as it was in the email from my grandmother. I didn't even think to count the letters, though that'd explain why none of the anagram generators I tried didn't work, either. It must have been miscopied from the original problem.

I've asked her to take another look at it, and see if it's got the right letters, or what's going on. Providing further info from her, I'll update with the 'right' letters, and possibly the answer if anyone's come up with it.
Mirajj,Feb 15 2004, 02:35 AM Wrote:I got this exactly as it was in the email from my grandmother.
It's cool that you get e-mail from your grandmother. My grandmother still refuses to use a microwave, let alone a computer.
Yeah. *Chuckles* All my family on my mother's side is "online". They send email by the gigabyte. No one ever deletes anything off of what they reply to....so I see the same letter 100 times as one person sends it, and then all the rest chime with a sentence or two of their own...all faithfully just "reply all" 'ed.

I suspect that my grandmother has some form of a wager riding on this one. ;) It was only sent to the two more comp savvy people in our family, me and my uncle. I have a feeling she wants us to figure it on the sly, using the net. :ph34r:

So since I couldn't figure it, and haven't heard from from Grandma or Uncle, I figure no one's got it yet.
...that I know what the answer is supposed to be. However, there are a couple of problems. The first, as LochnarITB already pointed out, is that too many letters have been provided (13 instead of 12). Second, the solution would require two letters which have not been provided. But I wouldn't be surprised if, somewhere along the line, someone has made a bit of a boo-boo, either in the original puzzle or in transcribing it to e-mail.

The clue sounds suspiciously like one of those given in Jumble-type puzzles, the game where you're given a bunch of scrambled words and are required to unscramble them to give you the letters to the final answer. The final answer always turns out to be a play on words, usually a bad pun, and I can usually figure out the answer they're looking for without needing to unscramble all the words.

In this case, given the letters and the clue "What a photographer needs when shooting a sports event", my guess is that the answer is supposed to be "snap judgment". This would fit with most of the letters given, except that it would need a "p" and a "u" instead of an "r", "e", and "g". Try running this past your grandmother and see if it's possible that a slight error has been made somewhere along the way.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
That's what I think happened, too. I got the answer this morning from a friend who either gets the same paper, or the same anagram. She told me that "Snap Judgement" was the answer, which makes sense to me. So since I know my Grandma just loves those kinds of things (and she's dang good at them) so she'd not make 3 mistakes like that, she must have gotten it wrong in the email, which is why she couldn't solve it. Though I imagine that she spent many hours trying to solve it. Probably drove her nuts. ;) Thanks all, for your help and observations!
Needs a 'u' in it and one of the 'g's replaced with a 'p' ;-)
DeeBye,Feb 15 2004, 01:06 AM Wrote:It's cool that you get e-mail from your grandmother.  My grandmother still refuses to use a microwave, let alone a computer.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I get 5 emails a day from my grandma. She's one of those darned 'omg ebaumsworld is funny' people who sends me every chain letter and funny joke email she gets. :rolleyes:
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
"Snap Judgement," but there was no U.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:It's cool that you get e-mail from your grandmother. My grandmother still refuses to use a microwave, let alone a computer.
Count yourself lucky. My grandmother is so old, she thinks these "newfangled inventions" called 'forks' are spawn of pure evil.
Usufruct,Feb 19 2004, 06:55 PM Wrote:Count yourself lucky.  My grandmother is so old, she thinks these "newfangled inventions" called 'forks' are spawn of pure evil.
I thought my grandmother was bad in still having a wood stove...

Who GOVERNS A NICE QUIET LAND?
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!