+skill damage, -enemy resist question
I have some questions about these two mods.

1. I noticed that there are mods on some items that increase elemental damage of skills by a percentage. For example, let's say, I have a lvl 20 firebolt (15 natural skill points, 5 from items) that does 1000 damage normally. I'm wearing an item that increase fire damage by 10%. Will my firebolt now do 1100 damage or will the damage be some other number? I know the answer seems obvious enough but I am a bit skeptical. The mod seems too good when you consider the huge damage increases some skills get past slvl 20.

2. If you have both mods on an item, which one is calculated first when hitting an enemy with a relevant skill?

3. What is the range and duration of the poison cloud of a slvl20 plague javelin? (I know this isn't about the two mods but it is the main reason why I am asking these questions.)
The +% skill damage adds to your mastery stat. So if you have fire or lightning mastery, a +X% fireghtning skill damage item would have the same effect as adding X to the percentage given by that mastery.

For example:
You have level 20 fire bolt, no synergies, level 20 mastery.
Fire bolt has 45-60 base damage.
Mastery gives +163%.

That'd be 118-157 total damage.

Now, with the same level 20 fire bolt, no synergy, level 20 mastery and an additional +10% from items.
Fire bolt has 45-60 base damage.
Mastery gives +163% with an additional +10% from items = +173%.

That's 122-163 total damage.

Here, it'd just a 3.8% increase in total damage since the mastery was already so high.

OTOH, if you don't have lightning mastery or fire mastery, +X% skill damage really will increase your total damage by X%.

As for -% enemy resistance...

That works like cold mastery. If you have cold mastery, and -% enemy cold resistance, those just add up in the same way that fireghtning mastery and +% fireghtning skill damage do.

-% enemy resistance has no effect on immune monsters. Against other monsters, it's as if the enemy had that much less resistance, down to a minimum of -100%.

For example:
Level 20 ice bolt, no synergies, no masteries, monster with 50% cold resistance.
Ice bolt does 38-49.
Monster has 50% resistance, so it'll only take 19-24.

Level 20 ice bolt, no synergies, level 20 mastery, monster with 50% cold resistance.
Ice bolt does 38-49.
Cold mastery at level 20 gives -115%, making monster's effective resistance -65%.
Monster takes 62-80.

Level 20 ice bolt, no synergies, level 20 mastery, monster with 50% cold resistance, -10% enemy cold resistance gear.
Ice bolt does 38-49.
Cold mastery at level 20 gives -115% pluse the -10% from equipment makes -125%, making monster's effective resistance -75%.
Monster takes 66-85.
Thank you for the information. That particular modifier will be useful to my future PJ Amazon. However, I heard that this mod doesn't affect Assassin traps. Is that true?
Correct. Neither of the two properties has any effect on traps, though the LCS, true to its name, does show a higher damage value if you have +% skill damage gear.

The reason it doesn't work is that the traps count as minions and the +% skill damage and -% enemy resistance properties don't transfer to them. Hydras are also considered minions, but +% fire skill and -% enemy fire resistance are explicitly transferred to them.

Note that it's just the positioned traps that don't benefit. Fire blast and shockweb do benefit.
so, is that mean +%poison skill damage will not increase the druid's poison creeper's damage? I tried the necro set gloves on my druid, and the skill screen shows the poison vines damage was increased. <_<
Hydra might be the only summonable pet that can receive both + skill damage and resistance pierce from items. It gains passive bonus from these two mods, which is wriiten in skill.txt
Quote:so, is that mean +%poison skill damage will not increase the druid's poison creeper's damage?

It does mean that, yes.
Thanks, but today I put magefist on my necro, and the skill screen shows the fire golem's damage increases. I also tried trange-oul's gloves on my druid and the poison vine's damage get boosted. Does the skill screen lie again? :P
Magefist increases fire skill levels, which is not the same thing as a +x% damage modifier. Since Fire Golem is classified as a fire skill, it's given the +1 bonus from Magefists.

And yes, the screen is lying about Trang's gloves boosting the poison damage on your vine like it does with every other minion and +x% damage.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm