Does Item Level matter for Crafts?
EDIT - Please disregard this post. I realized that I was confused and misread ilvl as clvl. I'll go ahead and leave my original post here to you can all laugh at my sleepy disillusioned silliness :P .

I decided to try my hand at crafting and was gravely disappointed with some misinformation I heard. I entered a NORMAL game with my level 75 druid and started crafting. First I made a crafted CASTER ring (magic ring item level 1 + Amn + amethyst + jewel). The ring ended up with the three pre-determined modifiers and only ONE new modifier. Hummm... I thought to myself. I made two more, one with TWO new modifiers, and another with TWO; both with magical rings item level 1.

Now I am greatly confused because if you read here:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cra...fteditems.shtml

It says:

Quote:Crafted Items have 3-4 Fixed Properties
Each Crafted Item has one or more fixed properties. For example, there are some Crafted Items guaranteed to have from 5-10% Chance of Crushing Blow. Often the Fixed Properties are not available normally on Magic or Rare Items. It's also nice to be able to create an item knowing which fixed magical bonuses are going to always appear which is not the case with Magic or Rare Items.

Crafted Items have 1-4 Random Magical Prefixes/Suffixes
On top of those fixed properties, a Crafted Item can have from 1-4 standard Rare and Magic Prefix and Suffixes. These are generated pretty much the same way as a Rare item.

At ilvls 1-30, there's a 40% chance of 1 affix and a 20% chance each of 2, 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 31-50, there's a 60% chance of 2 affixes and a 20% chance each of 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 51-70, there's an 80% chance of 3 affixes and a 20% chance of 4 affixes.
At ilvls 71+, there's a 100% chance of 4 affixes.

So where in the world are the rest of my modifiers?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
According to that information, crafting is based on ilvl (the level of the item). Where did you get the ring that you're trying to craft? Remember that if an item is dropped by a monster, its ilvl is equal to the level of the monster that dropped it. If you gambled it, it's level is the level of the gambler, plus a few mods (ehhh..check up Arreat Summit on the random gambling level modifications). Not sure about the ilvl if it's store bought.
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
If it is store bought, it depends on your level, and the ilvl cap of the vendor you are buying it from.
The final ilvl of the craft must be 71+ for the guaranteed 4 affixes. This is half the ilvl of the input item, rounded down, plus half the clvl of the crafter, rounded down.

Gambled items' ilvl is clvl - 5 to clvl + 4.

Bought items' ilvl is clvl + 5. There are caps if it was bought in normal.
adeyke,Feb 14 2004, 08:14 AM Wrote:The final ilvl of the craft must be 71+ for the guaranteed 4 affixes.  This is half the ilvl of the input item, rounded down, plus half the clvl of the crafter, rounded down.

Gambled items' ilvl is clvl - 5 to clvl + 4.

Bought items' ilvl is clvl + 5.  There are caps if it was bought in normal.
Really? Now I'm even more confused :blink: .

So if the item level is 71 on the item, I will get FOUR affixes, however the possible affix level is determined by character level? For example, if I get a level 1 character to craft a bunch of level 71 rings, they will still get FOUR affixes, but really crappy modifiers, right? Does the item level affect the affix level also?

Seriously, I'm so confused on how character level factors into item level for the general output. I'm going to do a search on this site to see if I can't find any relevant information.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
It's like this:

The ilvl of the crafted item is floor(.5 * clvl) + floor(.5 * ilvl).

This ilvl is used for the determination of the number of affixes:
Quote:At ilvls 1-30, there's a 40% chance of 1 affix and a 20% chance each of 2, 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 31-50, there's a 60% chance of 2 affixes and a 20% chance each of 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 51-70, there's an 80% chance of 3 affixes and a 20% chance of 4 affixes.
At ilvls 71+, there's a 100% chance of 4 affixes.

The ilvl is also used together with the qlvl of the base item to determine the alvl, which determines what affixes the item can have.

So if you have a clvl 1 character and an ilvl 99 item, the ilvl of the output will be 49. If you have a clvl 99 character and an ilvl 1 item, the ilvl of the output will be 49. These two situations are exactly identical in terms of possible outcomes for the recipe. Only the ilvl of the output crafted item matters, not where the ilvl came from.

If you have an ilvl 71 item and craft it with a clvl 1 character, you'll get an ilvl 35 crafted item. This has a 60% chance of 2 affixes and a 20% chance each of 3 or 4 affixes. The alvl would be based on this ilvl 35 and the qlvl of the base item.