adding sockets to rares
Hail fellow lurkers,

When I was reading the Arreat Summit yesterday, something confusing caught my sight:

On the one hand, it says:
Quote:3 Perfect Skulls + 1 Rare Item + Stone of Jordan = Add 1 Socket To a Rare Item
Rare Items can only have one socket. You cannot add more than one socket. You cannot add sockets to items that don't normally have sockets.

On the other, rares can have one of the following prefixes:

Quote:Mechanic's Add 1-2 Sockets Body Armor(10), Circlets(10), Helms(10), Shields(10), Weapons(10) 
Artisan's Add 3 Sockets Body Armor(33), Helms(33), Shields(33), Weapons(33) 
Jeweler's Add 4 Sockets Body Armor(55), Helms(55)[3], Shields(55), Weapons(55) 

So, my question is: If I have a rare with, say, the Mechanic's prefix, maybe from an imbue, can I have Larzuk add another socket in? Can I use the above formula (in case I had a SoJ :rolleyes: )?
In this spirit, can I add sockets to Spirit Forge unique armor?
Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
The mechanic's affix is the only way for a rare to have 2 sockets. Larzuk won't add sockets to an item that already has socket(s), and he'll only add one socket to rares/crafts/uniques/set items. The SoJ socket recipe adds a single socket to a rare item and doesn't work on items that already have socket(s).

And rares can only have the Mechanic's affix; Artisan's and Jeweler's are magic-only.
*Looks for a cod to smack anyone that uses that recipie.* :P

3 perfect skulls AND an SOJ?!?

If you play on the realms you can mule the item to a character that hasn't used up the Larzuk quest reward.
If you play (legit) single player your chances of having extra SOJ's on the character are on the thin side of slim.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Feb 13 2004, 08:24 PM Wrote:*Looks for a cod to smack anyone that uses that recipie.* :P

If you play on the realms you can mule the item to a character that hasn't used up the Larzuk quest reward.
If you play (legit) single player your chances of having extra SOJ's on the character are on the thin side of slim.
And if you play Classic, your chances of getting a Larzuk quest are exactly zero.
lemekim,Feb 13 2004, 08:42 PM Wrote:
jahcs,Feb 13 2004, 08:24 PM Wrote:*Looks for a cod to smack anyone that uses that recipie.* :P

And if you play Classic, your chances of getting a Larzuk quest are exactly zero.
Unless you have the expansion installed and are playing single player, in which case you can use the -act5 command to allow yourself to get the Larzuk quest. This, of course, implies that you are able to find an item that you want to socket in normal act 5. :)
Thanks for clearing that up.

- Nonsense Trivia -

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.