New realm feature?
Since I have been playing ladder, I have scores of non-ladder accounts ready to expire. About five score to be more specific. Realizing that I cannot put off the chore much longer, I sat down to cycle through all the characters. What is different from three months ago is that I can play six to eight characters, then I get uncerimoniously dumped off battle.net and cannot connect to the same realm again for quite some time. Does not matter that I have another character sitting happily in a game to hold it open.

I infer from testing on two machines that the the lockout is per realm and per IP address.

While I must applaud Blizzard on the tough new stance against cheaters who use mules to store their items that would otherwise evaporate within five minutes, I am not a happy camper.

I also noticed that if I select a character but don't try to join a game, the red expiration warning message still goes away. Does any know whether one can really (I mean really, really) refresh the character without actually playing in a game?

Even selecting a sequence of characters in quick sussession seems to cause a lockout, but at least it is somewhat quicker than trying to join games.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I can't help you with your questions, but I can vouch for your troubles with getting kicked off (and kept off). I've experienced this a couple of times myself, usually while I'm constantly switching characters (muling). Fortunately I haven't lost any items to this "feature"...yet...
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Just logging on in a channel and not a game refreshes your character. I myself am currently locked out of B.net for this very thing... :(
I've noticed that if I pause for a couple of seconds in between various steps of the logging in and out process that I don't get kicked off. I don't think this is a feature designed to stop muling. I think it's trying to stop robots and duping programs, which frequently join and quit games.
I have been experimenting and I find that if I do four characters real fast and then wait a few moments, I am usually OK.

My muling comment was intended as mild sarcasm. So often Blizzard's fixes seem to have (presumably) unintended consequences. Only about 38 accounts and four days left to go!
LavCat,Feb 8 2004, 12:46 AM Wrote:Only about 38 accounts and four days left to go!
Wow you got alot of accounts. I only have three and I still have trouble keeping them all updated. I guess it is because that you are an adult and have infinite time to do what you want and not get grounded for being up until five in the morning. Man, I really have no time with school and transportation time, got to hate Houston traffic. :(
"if the bible has taught us anything,and it hasn't, is that boys should stick to boy sports and girls shoud stick to girl sports like hot oil wrestling."-homer simpson
Me-"OH MY GOD,OH MY GOD!!!! 1.10 WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHAT!!!!!....I know what. Fix my computer."
The two best internet comics in the web, penny-arcade and El Goonish Shive. For you.. Also for you.
Some might question whether I'm adult, but I am fifty five years old. I just checked my son's mules. What is really scary is the "Expires Today" message. Some mules were not so fortunate.

Edit:

However it does mean I get to have all the chocolate and whipped cream I want.
Leah_heartsword,Feb 8 2004, 12:49 AM Wrote:you are an adult and have infinite time to do what you want
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Leah, but I found your perception of adults amusing to me. Sure, there's no one to ground me if I stay up too late playing video games, but the consequences can actually be far worse.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
LavCat,Feb 8 2004, 03:42 AM Wrote:However it does mean I get to have all the chocolate and whipped cream I want.
And coffee with Dooley's in it !
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Griselda,Feb 8 2004, 09:00 AM Wrote::lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry, Leah, but I found your perception of adults amusing to me.  Sure, there's no one to ground me if I stay up too late playing video games, but the consequences can actually be far worse.

-Griselda
Indeed!

Zombie @ work = teh suxxor

Do you use toothpicks or scotch-tape to keep your eyes open?

NB :lol:
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
Nastie_Bowie,Feb 8 2004, 12:07 PM Wrote:Do you use toothpicks or scotch-tape to keep your eyes open?
I find that allowing small children to tackle me a few times usually does the trick. If they're wild enough that I fear for my safety, I can keep one eye open.

OTOH, don't even ask what my tax forms looked like after trying to do them late at night. Let's just say I need to go get some new forms and try again. :lol:

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I ran into this very problem myself, but something else I noticed, it doesn't give a monkey about game either.
I got locked out of D2 so decided to go play some War3 while I waited to get back on...
"unable to connect to Battle.net"
Looks like Lordaeron & USWest are the same to another intent and/or purpose, shame the can't just merge them and save people putting @lordaeron or @uswest at the end of messages. Grrr.
So it's per IP, Per realm. Not Per IP, Per realm, Per CD-Key... Thanks Blizz, I'm really glad you guys did that.
Just you all know - Don't expect to play online on ANY Blizz game after you get the lockout.

-Bob
Bob,Feb 8 2004, 03:11 PM Wrote:I ran into this very problem myself, but something else I noticed, it doesn't give a monkey about game either.
I got locked out of D2 so decided to go play some War3 while I waited to get back on...
"unable to connect to Battle.net"
Looks like Lordaeron & USWest are the same to another intent and/or purpose, shame the can't just merge them and save people putting @lordaeron or @uswest at the end of messages. Grrr.
So it's per IP, Per realm. Not Per IP, Per realm, Per CD-Key... Thanks Blizz, I'm really glad you guys did that.
Just you all know - Don't expect to play online on ANY Blizz game after you get the lockout.

-Bob
Not exactly true...

I know OF some script kiddies that use proxies or dial-up to reconnect to battle.net with a new IP and never have any problems reconnecting. This says to me it's an IP thing, but as you can clearly see, it does not stop the hackers one bit but annoys the hell out of me, and prolly the rest of the legit players out there.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Yeah, I was just going to mention getting a proxy. It's not like it would take a script kiddie to see that one :)
I believe it is the IP address.

I use two computers and a router on a dsl (IP always the same) for muling and to add an extra character to my mf/exp runs. When I get disco'd, both machines drop and have the reconnect problem for 5 - 15 minutes.

Usually this will happen in the first ten minutes of play. After that I can usually play for hours on end with no problems.

It has been this way since the 1.10 patch. Anti-botting is OK by me for a little hassle on my end. Price you gotta pay, I guess.

NB :rolleyes:
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long