Cross Class skills and +skill tab items
I searched some but couldn't find the answer. I'm wondering if cross class skills get a boost using +skill tree charms or amulets or other +skill tab items.

So, if a paladin is casting hydra, will having a +1 fire skills charm in his inventory boost the hydra? Or wearing a +3 fire skills amulet or circlet?

This seems like it would be fairly straight forward to test, and I am guessing that the answer is no, but I don't have the time (or skills or motivation) to test and still be able to play, and I am just wondering on this one.

I know that +all skills work, but I am wondering about these other items. I seem to recall a discussion about mercs and +skill tab items not affecting them because of a change in the way skill tab items work now, but I don't know of that applies to characters as well.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Let's assume you're a Paladin wearing Dragonscale. This gives you +10 to Hydra.

Let's also assume you have Ormus Robes with +3 Hydra (Sorceress Only). Yes, this is impossible, but for the sake of an example let's assume you had one.

Apparently, the Ormus Robes bonus would affect the Paladin's Hydra, making it level 13, even though it says (Sorceress Only). I guess what it really means is (Skills On Sorceress Tab Only). If you have the skill through oskill bonuses, class-specific bonuses to that skill help you. So I suspect that, in fact, +fire GC's marked (Sorceress Only) would actually help a Paladin with Hydra.

Though if someone with actual proof would chime in i'd really appreciate it :)
+skill tabs doesn't affect oskills. Only +all skills, +fire skills (when applicable) and +that specific skill will help. +class skills and +skill tabs don't do anything.
What about some of the granted abilities that aren't oskill, like Beast's Fanaticism bonus, or chance to cast or charged items? What affects those?

I hear synergies and sorceress masteries affect CTC items, but I haven't heard about charged items or the granted paladin auras.
Charged items, CTC effects and auras from items do all benefit from synergies and masteries (when applicable), but their slvl can't be increased by any +skills gear.
adeyke,Feb 5 2004, 04:48 AM Wrote:+skill tabs doesn't affect oskills.  Only +all skills, +fire skills (when applicable) and +that specific skill will help.  +class skills and +skill tabs don't do anything.
Are you sure? Cause I read this in the AB technical forum.. that +3 Fireball (Sorceress Only) would benefit a Trang-Oul's partial set user's Fireball even if they weren't a Sorceress or Necromancer..
That's correct. As I said, +that specific skill will help. However, +skill tabs indeed does nothing.
Oh, now I get it.

So if I'm a pally wearing two peices of Trangs..

+1 to all skills will boost my Fireball slvl
+1 to Fireball (Sorceress Only) will boost my Fireball slvl
+1 to Fire Skills will boost my Fireball slvl (???) - eg Magefist, Rising Sun, Hexfire ???

but

+1 to Fire Skills (Sorceress Only) will not boost my Fireball slvl
+1 to Sorceress Skill Levels will not boost my Fireball slvl

Thanks for the clarification!
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm always confused as to the correct answer: does a barbarian item like Arreat's Face boost a barbarian mercenary's skills?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Feb 6 2004, 01:12 AM Wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but I'm always confused as to the correct answer:  does a barbarian item like Arreat's Face boost a barbarian mercenary's skills?
Yes.
Quote:I know this has been discussed before, but I'm always confused as to the correct answer: does a barbarian item like Arreat's Face boost a barbarian mercenary's skills?

No. Mercenaries are affected by +skilltab, +that specific skill and +fire skills (when applicable). They aren't affected by +class skills or +skill tab.

So, in the case of barbarian mercs, a helm with +bash and +stun would help, and a helm with +all skills would help, but neither the +barbarian skills nor the +combat skills on Arreat's Face would do anything.
Quote: Mercenaries are affected by +skilltab
Quote:They aren't affected by...+skill tab.

Um... which is it?

Another question: Would a barbarian helm with +Natural Resistance/any other passive help them out?
Quote:Um... which is it?

They aren't affected.

In 1.09, mercs were affected by +skill tabs equipment. Too much so, in fact. All sorts of "+top skill tab" gear would boost a merc's "top skill tab" skills. The same applies to "middle skill tab" and "bottom skill tab."

In 1.10, this was removed and no sort of +skill tab affects them at all. This can be easily tested (with a mod) by giving +defensive auras gear to a defiance merc or +offensive auras gear to a might merc. These don't have any effect on the defiance or the might.

The act 5 mercs are harder to test since they don't have any effects of their skills listed on their LCS. However, in a modded game, with mercs having natural resistance as skill, they still weren't affected by +skill tabs gear or +barbarian skills gear.

Quote:Another question: Would a barbarian helm with +Natural Resistance/any other passive help them out?

No. They don't benefit from +specific skills they don't already have. If there was an item with a +natural resistance oskill, they would benefit from that, but as it is, the only +specific skills boosts they benefit from are +bash and +stun.
adeyke,Feb 6 2004, 08:56 AM Wrote:No.  Mercenaries are affected by +skilltab, +that specific skill and +fire skills (when applicable).  They aren't affected by +class skills or +skill tab.

So, in the case of barbarian mercs, a helm with +bash and +stun would help, and a helm with +all skills would help, but neither the +barbarian skills nor the +combat skills on Arreat's Face would do anything.
Whoops my mistake. Thanks Adeyke. :)