Startup.com
If you always wanted to know what is going on behind the scenes of the Internet company business, the banks, investors, multi-national companies and their practices, you may want to watch the very interesting documentary movie "Startup.com" by Chris Hegedus and Jehane Noujaim. It has been aired on German TV today, that's why I'm mentioning it here.

Quote:STARTUP.COM premiered at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival. An intimate, behind-the-scenes view of the recent dot com mania, Startup.com follows the adventures of childhood friends, Kaleil Isaza Tuzman and Tom Herman as they create govWorks.com, an award winning website that lets citizens interact with their local governments. Within a year, the two young entrepreneurs raise 60 million dollars, hire hundreds of employees and rub shoulders with President Clinton. But, as the stock market tests the strength of their business, they wrestle with growing pains, tackle technical difficulties, charter the unpredictable venture capital waters and out smart copycat competition. But in the end, none of these challenges prepare Kaleil and Tom for their own conflict over the management of govworks.com, a conflict that will not only endanger their company and their jobs but irrevocably endanger their life long friendship. STARTUP.COM is a classic story about friendship and values at the dawn of the Internet Age.

The same practices shown here are also typical for game companies (which are finally sold to multi-national media giants when they run out of cash).
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Sorry for the highjack, I wanted to make a thread about something similar, so I thought I wouldn't pollute the boards. Anyway, has anyone seen the "Rejected" films? I can't seem to find a place to download them. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

BTW: Startup.com was a good one too! :) Sorry again!
WWBBD?
"... I am a BA-NA-NA!"

Couldn't resist... :P

Rejected isn't legally avaliable to download for free; you'll have to scourer movie download sites to download it I'm afraid.
Startup.com is really a brilliant documentary. The filmmakers must have taken huge amounts of footage in order to capture all the salient moments throughout and were able to edit it down very well. The most interesting thing about it to me is that if the company had been a success, the documentary would have been nothing more than a "How we got started" internal booster video, but because of its failure, the film becomes a cautionary tale about the boom/bust, corporate culture, and how friendships stand up to incredible strain. Highly recommended.