Cell Phones
My wife and I just signed up for (what seems to be) an amazing cell phone plan.

She works in a bank that has some sort of corporate partnership with a cell phone service provider (I don't know the details, but suffice to say it's a huge national bank and a huge cell phone service provider.) As such, she's always offered employee deals.

She was recently offered a cell phone deal that we could not refuse. I'd like to know if we were ripped off, or if we made the right choice.

We get a free phone (Motorola T720g, Canadian sister to the Motorola T720), as long as we agreed to a 7-month contract (which we did). The contract is for $15/month which scalable. If we use <50 (anytime) minutes, the price is $15 for that month. If we use up to 200 minutes, the price is $20. 300 minutes is $30, etc.

The plan is adjusted monthly; subscriber receives the best available rate (<-- I read that off the contract :) ).

All prices are in Canadian funds [Image: canada.gif]

I'm looking at the contract right now and I don't see how we can be ripped off, unless we use an ungodly amount of minutes per month. If we limit ourselves to <50 minutes per month for 7 months, we pay 7x15 = $105, and we get to keep a very expensive phone.

Good deal, or ripped off?
Yeah, I think your deal is okay for a couple in their 30s(assumption) I don't know how much Canadian $ are worth, but I pay about $15($1.7 per USD) monthly, and use up about an hour and 20 minutes(70 minutes) each month. So if C$1=US$0.5 or so, I'd say you have an okay deal. And 7-months is short. Over here, for new subscribers the minimum period is 1 year(renew your subscription and upgrade your phone, may have to trade in your old one), maximum is 2(for a newbie subscriber)
1 CAD = 0.753920 USD
1 USD = 1.32640 CAD

I'm ONLY 29! I'm not 30 until April, you insensitive clod.

edit: typo
If I buy a phone, I want to be able to use it whenever I frikkin' well want. None of this "X minutes per month" crap - I darn well bought the phone, I'm not paying extra to use it!

Therefore, I do not own a cell phone. :P

Once they start offering flat "$20/month w/unlimited time" plans (or whatever amount), I may consider it.

</derail>
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
there is only one company that i know of that offers that plan.

the name of the company is called cricket. its not everywhere though so good luck. oh yeah and its only a flat fee for local calls.

found it

http://www.cricketcommunications.com/areas.asp
Signatures suck
I've received my phone.
[Image: cell3.gif]

Now I just need to figure out how all the bells and whistles work.

Since I'm on the subject -- my phone is internet-enabled. I want to see how that works, but I'm afraid of excess charges. I'm fairly sure that I will be charged per kB while browsing. With just text on and pictures disabled, what sort of web experience might I expect? Can I, for example, browse this forum and post a reply?

I also need a new ringtone. The 30+ preloaded ones on my phone suck.
bschultz,Feb 1 2004, 08:17 AM Wrote:there is only one company that i know of that offers that plan.

the name of the company is called cricket.&nbsp; its not everywhere though so good luck.&nbsp; oh yeah and its only a flat fee for local calls.

found it

http://www.cricketcommunications.com/areas.asp
It's in Michigan, but only the Lower Peninsula...

Oversight? Or has the UP gone and joined Wisconsin, or declared itself the 51st State, as I have been expecting it to for a long time?
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Quote:DeeBye Posted on Feb 3 2004, 05:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've received my phone.

Now I just need to figure out how all the bells and whistles work.

Since I'm on the subject -- my phone is internet-enabled. I want to see how that works, but I'm afraid of excess charges. I'm fairly sure that I will be charged per kB while browsing. With just text on and pictures disabled, what sort of web experience might I expect? Can I, for example, browse this forum and post a reply?

I've watched people type text messages into thier phone. It takes a bit of work with only the ten keys.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:Oversight? Or has the UP gone and joined Wisconsin, or declared itself the 51st State, as I have been expecting it to for a long time?

I think we all know that the UP is actually a Canadian Protectorate.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
jahcs,Feb 3 2004, 05:34 PM Wrote:I've watched people type text messages into thier phone.&nbsp; It takes a bit of work with only the ten keys.
I don't own one and don't know much about cell phones but, when I saw a blurb about this phone, I thought it would be one I could enjoy owning.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Mithrandir,Feb 4 2004, 03:29 AM Wrote:I think we all know that the UP is actually a Canadian Protectorate.
See, I moved below the bridge when I was two or so, so long ago I don't even have a trace of the accent anymore. I'm shocked that my parents have kept the truth of my citizenship hidden for so long.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
DeeBye,Feb 1 2004, 06:27 AM Wrote:I'm ONLY 29!&nbsp; I'm not 30 until April, you insensitive clod.

Dammit, Dee...stay away from Slashdot, it's bad for you.