Charm Cubeing
Unfortunately for your metaphor I am talking about using my own laser to tear open my own car to find my own money. (Woohoo! 25 Gs! That should almost pay for a new car!) My argument is that whether I do it with a handy laser or adeyke tells me how to do it with a handy key makes no difference...except to my Subaru. Poor thing. :o
Quote:ATMA is okay but Maphack is not? I'm alright with muling, but leery of editing? Not much consistency to boast of there.

The difference to me is that ATMA is single player only, but Maphack is usuable on the realms. Also, if one boasts about soloing DXPP™ without any sort of PMH, but they used all the best gear aquired via ATMA (hence Adeyke's comment on not being Diablo 2, but Diablo 2 with ATMA), it sort of cheapens the experience for those proud of their more difficult accomplishments. :blink:
bigeyedbug,Feb 5 2004, 01:55 AM Wrote:Unfortunately for your metaphor I am talking about using my own laser to tear open my own car to find my own money.  (Woohoo!  25 Gs!  That should almost pay for a new car!)  My argument is that whether I do it with a handy laser or adeyke tells me how to do it with a handy key makes no difference...except to my Subaru.  Poor thing. :o
Well, there would be yet another metaphor if we are talking about looking at the ilvl of an item in order to cube it for a chance at a possibly better item.

The metaphor would be this: you use a homemade laser to crack open the proprietary rear differential case of your Subaru and modify it so that it delivers more torque to the wheels. You then take it to the track (Realms) and race it against other Subaru owners. They marvel at your driving skills compared to the folks who have the same model of Subaru, but in reality it isn't your driving, it's the (unethical, in racing) modification you made to the vehicle.

You see, it's not that people object to you doing whatever you want to stuff that is yours. That is why you can mod the heck out of it for single player or even TCP/IP where everybody else is doing the same. The problem occurs when you take that modified stuff out in public and compete with others who haven't modified theirs in a venue that is supposed to be a level playing field (Realms).