trang ouls on a non-sorceress/non-paladin
What skill items will boost the fire wall on a trang ouls when worn by, say, a barbarian? +sorc fire tree? +fire skills? +all skills? all of the above? none of the above?
Of the ones you listed, only +fire skills and +all skills.

Also, if you've been granted, say, fireball from an oskill bonus, you do benefit from +fireball (sorceress only).
adeyke,Jan 26 2004, 02:37 AM Wrote:if you've been granted, say, fireball from an oskill bonus, you do benefit from +fireball (sorceress only).
You happen to have a list handy for v1.10 release of all the ways one can get oskill bonuses granted (and the source, whether by item, set bonus or runeword)?

Many of them are famous, so require little thought to keep in mind, but I'm probably not considering a few when it might be relevant.

edit: just out of curiousity, can an aura/skill grant an oskill to a target? That could be quite entertaining in a mod.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Quote:You happen to have a list handy for v1.10 release of all the ways one can get oskill bonuses granted (and the source, whether by item, set bonus or runeword)?

I don't have such a list handy, no. However, I'll make one now:
Uniques:
Widowmaker (+3-5 Guided Arrow)
Dragonscale (+10 Hydra)
Flamebellow (+12-18 Inferno)
Wolfhowl (+3-6 Werewolf, +3-6 Lycanthropy, +3-6 Feral Rage)
Frostwind (+7-14 Arctic Blast)

Runewords:
Call to Arms (+2-6 Battle Command, +1-6 Battle Orders, +1-4 Battle Cry)
Enigma (+1 Teleport)
Kingslayer (+1 Vengeance)
Passion (+1 Zeal, +1 Berserk)
Chaos (+1 Whirlwind)
Beast (+3 Werebear, +3 Lycanthropy)

Sets:
Trang-Oul (+18 Fire Ball with 3 items, +13 Fire Wall with 4 items, +10 Meteor with 5 items, +3 Fire Mastery with complete set)

That should be all of them.

Quote:edit: just out of curiousity, can an aura/skill grant an oskill to a target? That could be quite entertaining in a mod.

I don't know if it's possible. I just know that it's not something I can do (though that's not saying much).
apandapion,Jan 26 2004, 02:28 AM Wrote:What skill items will boost the fire wall on a trang ouls when worn by, say, a barbarian?  +sorc fire tree?  +fire skills?  +all skills?  all of the above?  none of the above?
Doesn't matter, anyway. I was trying to build a paladin around conviction and meteor, but it turns out there's no way to put firewall or meteor on the left mouse button, thus making it impossible to do both an aura and meteor at the same time.

Stupid interface.
apandapion,Jan 26 2004, 01:49 AM Wrote:Stupid interface.
I hate the way that D2 limits which skills can be assigned to mouse buttons. Let me choose them.
It woulldn't be impossible would it? Both Meteor and Firewall have casting delays, and auras have pulsing. It would be hard, and carpal tunnel might abound, but it should be possible to get the aura on the badguys and cast meteor at least. Practical, no, possible, yes.
adeyke,Jan 26 2004, 03:07 AM Wrote:I don't have such a list handy, no.  However, I'll make one now...
Ah, very interesting, thanks. Here's a partial anotation...

Uniques:

Widowmaker (+3-5 Guided Arrow)
Dragonscale (+10 Hydra) (Paladin only shield)
Flamebellow (+12-18 Inferno) (2h sword; 2h forced for all but Barbarian)
Wolfhowl (+3-6 Werewolf, +3-6 Lycanthropy, +3-6 Feral Rage) (Barbarian only helm)
Frostwind (+7-14 Arctic Blast) (2h sword; 2h forced for all but Barbarian)

Runewords:

Call to Arms (+2-6 Battle Command, +1-6 Battle Orders, +1-4 Battle Cry)
Enigma (+1 Teleport)
Kingslayer (+1 Vengeance)
Passion (+1 Zeal, +1 Berserk)
Chaos (+1 Whirlwind) (Assassin only claw)
Beast (+3 Werebear, +3 Lycanthropy)

Sets:

Trang-Oul (+18 Fire Ball with 3 items, +13 Fire Wall with 4 items, +10 Meteor with 5 items, +3 Fire Mastery with complete set) (Fire Mastery necro only, necro shield completes)

From this we see that, using weapon switch, a Paly can be a "master of fire": Fire Ball, Fire Wall, Meteor, Hydra and Inferno. He would presumably have to rely on Fire Facet jewels for "fire mastery", however. (edit: clearly such a Paly should wear infernostrides, to proc Blaze :D )

Although "aura flashing" is supposed to be obsolete, I doubt that the underlying mechanic doesn't allow one to get Conviction on one's enemies most of the time, while casting those fire skills that are right mouse action only. Some probing of how it actually works, serverside (avoiding the LCS™, which isn't very good at showing true Aura state, imo), might be in order.

Widowmaker is quite nice. I'd not known of/considered it when advising a high level Necro on their options for tagging DXPP™ with PMH reliably (in combo with Hwain's belt, Blackhorn's Face or Nature's Peace, of course). I'll have to go see what it would cost me to add one to my collection, via trading.

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

Nit:
Quote:Frostwind (+7-14 Arctic Blast) (2h sword; 2h forced for all but Barbarian)

It's a cryptic sword. One-handed for everyone.
adeyke,Jan 30 2004, 07:11 PM Wrote:Nit:

It's a cryptic sword.  One-handed for everyone.
Got me! I'm still in a rush, so no time to also add the basic info on which base items everything is (which would be nice, not to mention having clvl and str/dex reqs).

What happens if a barbarian has 2 Azurewraths? Does he get a level 14(assuming maximum) Sanctuary, a level 28 Sanctuary, or 2 level 14 Sanctuaries pulsing assynchronously(assume he puts them on a couple seconds apart)?
I would assume that he gets 2 sanctuary auras. If he doesn't then he gets 1 level 14. But I know™ that he wouldn't get a level 28.
adeyke,Jan 25 2004, 08:07 PM Wrote:Trang-Oul (+18 Fire Ball with 3 items, +13 Fire Wall with 4 items, +10 Meteor with 5 items, +3 Fire Mastery with complete set)
Nit: Fire Ball needs only 2 items, and Fire Wall only 3. Not sure about Meteor - 3 items is all I have. :P
Right. Thanks. The fire ball is for 2 items, the fire wall for 3, the meteor for 4 and the fire mastery for the complete set (which happens to be 5 items).
apandapion,Jan 26 2004, 06:49 AM Wrote:Doesn't matter, anyway.  I was trying to build a paladin around conviction and meteor, but it turns out there's no way to put firewall or meteor on the left mouse button, thus making it impossible to do both an aura and meteor at the same time.

Stupid interface.
Maybe not Meteor, but surely you could put Fireball or Firewall on the left mouse button?

I tend to think Firewall + high level Conviction + a nice big tank with high defense and maxed blocking has potential..

Furthermore, this Paladin could wield Hexfire, Magefist and Lidless (or some other +to all skills shield).

Is this the time for me to suggest Dragonscale ???

Defense: 523-582 (varies)(Base Defense: 169-193)
Required Level: 80
Required Strength: 142
Durability: 65
Chance To Block: 52%
Smite Damage: 46 To 46
(Paladin Only)
+170-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
Adds 211-371 Fire Damage
+15% To Fire Skill Damage
+10 To Hydra

+5% To Maximum Fire Resist
+15-25 To Strength (varies)
Fire Absorb 10-20% (varies)
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

Who's the bright spark who thought this shield should require level 80 .... :angry:

With that shield, Hexfire (+3) and Magefist (+1), you're looking at level 14 Hydra, plus you'll get level 22 Fireball and level 17 Firewall from the 3 peices of Trangs that you can still wear (belt, armor, helm) - the Meteor will be useless after all!

This would probably also be a good time for me to suggest the cheese of wearing at least one ring with charges of level 6 firebolt on them.. (each???) ring would synergize Fireball with +96% fire damage and Hydra with +18% fire damage. I don't know if wearing two rings with charges of level 6 firebolt would double-synergize, but in any event, you may want to wear other rings as well :)

Last but not least, wear a Rising Sun amulet, to drop high level meteors when struck.

Merging this concept into a smiter build seems to be a good idea, as Smite allows you to contribute some physical damage. Hmm, a firewalling, Conviction-running Smiteadin (shael'd Hexfire)?

Also.. gee, I keep coming up with also's... if you don't want to use the Hydra off Dragonscale, there's always Medusa's Gaze for the chance to double your pleasure..

Defense: 405-453 (varies)(Base Defense: 145-161)
Required Level: 76
Required Strength: 219
Chance to Block: Pal: 54%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 49%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 44%
Durability: 92
Paladin Smite Damage: 18 To 28
+150-180% Enhanced Defense (varies)
5-9% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
Slows Target By 20%
Cold Resist +40-80% (varies)
10% Chance To Cast Level 7 Lower Resist When Struck
100% Chance To Cast Level 44 Nova When You Die
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

All you have to do is get hit.. ;) Strength req is just a tad high on the shield.

Level 7 Lower Resist + maxed Paladin conviction = ???

(Hey, you could always keep a wand of lower resist on the switch, too!)

Last but not least, some figures from the Arreat Summit. Assuming we go with a Dragonscale smiter w/Hydra wearing one cheese ring with charges of level 6 Firebolt, wielding Hexfire and wearing Magefist and 3 peices of Trang's set..

Fireball: Level 22 (off the chart).. probably around 300 damage with a +96% synergy, increased a further 15% by Dragonscale. Not gonna calculate it, but it's still low. You won't have any faster cast, either.

Firewall: Level 17.. 989-1012 damage per second with no synergies at all, but 15% damage bump from Dragonscale. Hmm, looking at about 1100-1150 damage/second. Would this even kill a Carver in Hell difficulty? :)

Hydra: Level 14. 86-105 damage per shot, with a 18% synergy, increased a further 15% by Dragonscale. Who cares.

Bah. Firewall looks to be the real application. Meteors, even if you could have them, don't compete with it's damage.

It might make for a cute pally build, especially if you soften things up with Smite and Crushing Blow first (go go Goblin Toe boots!). Maybe you could FOTH them as well, for laughs.

One last possiblity is to ditch Magefists, sacrifice the +1 from there, and instead wear a perfect +3 Firewall +15% Fire Damage Ormus robes with Trang's Gloves/Belt/Helm combo.

Oh crud, I forgot to factor in Rising Sun's +2 to fire skills. This would give you level 19 Firewall!! :D Also, I asked once on the Amazon Basin.. apparently, once you get an oskill, items with + to a certain skill, even though it might say (Sorceress Only), will bump that skill if you have it! So Ormus's could potentially bump Firewall by 3 more points (to level 22)!
Raziel,Feb 3 2004, 01:26 PM Wrote:Hmm, looking at about 1100-1150 damage/second.  Would this even kill a Carver in Hell difficulty? :)
Nope but only because Carvers are Fire Immune on Hell. ;) :P

But the smite would certainly kill it. :D
Damn you! I knew someone would say that, so I was going to say Fallen, but changed to Carver! ARGH.

Can anyone please confirm if Firewall can be put on the left mouse button?

Secondly.. even if it can't go on the LMB, surely you can hotkey from Conviction to FW/Meteor, cast, and hotkey back, and Conviction will still be on the monsters?
Firewall cannot be on your left mouse button.