Gunbound!
Quote:Also WL, add me in game and I'll teach you how to play. My ID is SAJadaris

Do I have to be on the same server to add you to my list? If so, which one should I be trying for?

I'm still a newb/chicken, made about 2,000 gold so far (long ways from buying anything). Kinda like the Mage tank so far. ;)
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
OK, this game is seriously addicting. Like, more addicting than crack. :blink:

I've been playing with Omega and AtomicKitKat, and in between getting my butt handed to me, I've been having tons of fun. AKK has been tutoring me on the leet ultra-high-angle fire-support skillz. B)

A couple notable occasions already:

- Playing in a game with AKK, I used the Teleport item to get away from a mobile that was rocking my world. I misjudged the wind and/or angle though, so my shot hit the side of a platfom instead of the top. I appeared halfway in the ground, hanging off into thin air. Much laughter was had by all. :lol:

- I jumped into a public game where everyone was using random mobiles. I got a Knight ( :ph34r: ), and then after a few turns someone says "He's no noob, chicks don't shoot like that!" Made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. B)

But I swear, that darn cakebot is freaking uber. And my little Mage sucks. :(
Instructions to beat JD into a pulp:

Step 1: Fire SS near a few to strip them all of their shields, possibly resulting in a 1k bonus on the first turn, if you get 2 or more in the blast radius.

Step 2: Laugh like a lunatic.

B)

Edit: Mage only.
A plague of exploding high-fives.
WarLocke,Jan 29 2004, 04:32 PM Wrote:But I swear, that darn cakebot is freaking uber.  And my little Mage sucks.  :(
Not really, cake isn't that uber, it's just the bot that takes the least amount of skill to use, and thus 99% of the lamers in the game use it, as can be expected.

Also, mage owns cake hands down.
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
I'm not that leet. And when playing armour, it's almost REQUIRED that you do high angle shots(since that's the only way you can get significant air-time for the SS at closer ranges)

I'm now learning boomer. I just wish I'd stop ending up in stages with multiple winds and such. ><

Playing a cake WELL does require some degree of skill. How many people do you know can do a first turn kill with SS? :) Admittedly, the conditions have to be right(you're first, and an opponent is dangling on the lip of the stage, like that stage which looks like a spinning top, I forget the name), but the aiming of the SS has to be JUST right(if you overshoot, you push him in rather than off. if you undershoot, you don't push hard enough) My personal pet peeves are stages with poor layout(that ship with the arch roof, and metropolis, the one that looks like an X), lots of heavy "in-your-face" winds, and poor spacing of characters. I just wish it didn't seem like the game forced you to have at least one DK-able pairing(2 bots within 1 bot-length of each other) every round.

I actually have that screenshot of Warlocke dangling off the edge. I edited out the names, he's the mage stuck in the tooth on the left dragon head in cave.

PS. I'll post the pic sometime this week.
Can someone post an idiot's guide to Gunbound?

I figured out the controls (which took me two games), but now I want to know how to beat other players. Also, how do I add user names to my friends list?

This game is either the most engaging one I've ever played, or the most iritating. I can't decide.
I basically learned by playing (and there are still things I dont know - like what the heck do lightning columns and light beams do?). Experience with Worms-type games helps... kinda.

You can't really even begin competing until you have a basic understanding of the delay system (numbers by names in lower left during a game). That's (IMO) the biggest difference between Gunbound and Worms. I would suggest a thorough look at gunbound-hq.com, especially the mobile overviews (helped me alot).

For buddies, open up your Buddy list (via the button at the lower left - but you have to log onto a server before you can open it/it updates, I think), click Add, and type in the name.

EDIT: AFAIK, the people playing GB are:

LLWarLocke (Me)
AtomicKitKat
SheepHunter
SAJadaris (Omega)

Catch me online sometime and I'll share my (limited) knowledge with you. Or I can post again tomorrow - or later today. Dang, it's 3:30am and my head feels like mush...
DeeBye,Jan 30 2004, 12:35 AM Wrote:Can someone post an idiot's guide to Gunbound?
www.gunbound-hq.com

Also you can use F10 for buddy list.
The guild name is restricted to 8 characters, which means that we can't use LurkerLounge. The alternatives could be LL, LurkerL, LLounge, Lurkers, Loungers... I don't know. I need your ideas before I use 20k to make a guild. :huh:
A plague of exploding high-fives.
I'm partial to Loungers, or maybe LLounge. (LL)LLWarLocke would look silly though. :P

Also, the NakMachine (aka butt-bot or booty bot) is pretty darn cool. I gotta practice the #2 shot more though.
I'd go with "LLounge" I think.

Light Beams improve the damage by a margin(not sure how much, maybe 25%?), and lightning causes your shots to release a vertical lightning shot on impact. The NakMachine has possibly the worst SS as far as damage is concerned. It has uses I guess, like if you're stuck in the bowl of a hole and can't get a clear shot 2 to your opponent. It only does about 200+ damage to me/my brother(I think my attack and his defense are about the same, give or take a few %)

The Boomer is even harder to learn than the Nak, IMO. It's extremely vulnerable to wind changes, so I would suggest a low-wind stage like Adium Root, if you're gonna practice. Nak just needs high angles or a deep bowl and it can hit almost anywhere.

Bigfoot is not particularly good at high-angle/long distance shots. Shot 2 is light, and spreads in a "rain" when you use high angle shots. Shot 1 and SS are heavy, and require a little more power to hit a target at close range.
Quote:Nak just needs high angles or a deep bowl and it can hit almost anywhere.

Yeah, but getting the high angles is a pain. The Nak has pretty bad firing angles (22 degrees, I think?), I'm used to the Mage and Armour who have 35-degree angles (actually, I think Armour's angles are alittle wider?). Add in the fact that Nak can't move very far in a turn and has crappy climbing abilities, and those high-angles are few and far between. :angry:

The Nak's #2 shot gets me in two seperate ways. It seems to be heavier than the #1 or SS (so I'm constantly undershooting), and after it's underground it seems to arc up faster than it should. The second might be me just not getting low enough angles, but it sure seems to rise fast...

Also, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. For the guild name, why not just "Lurkers"?
OK, why do I always seem to have problems with something that should be so easy. I've downloaded and set up Gunbound. I seem to get to the game rooms(servers?) ok. However, since I am looking for someone to teach me the ropes, I try adding you folks to the buddy list. I type in a name and hit add but the box clears and no name gets added to my buddy list. After a couple minutes of trying to figure out what is going on I get some kind of a time out error message that says try again later. Is everything just so jammed up on a Saturday night that it is causing problems or might I be doing something wrong?

[edit] OK now it let me add you people but it appears I have to wait for permission from the ones I added. I guess I'll just try another time.

(ooohhh - ain't that pretty - TNT is showing The Matrix and they just showed my favorite scene - the river of flame bursting out from the elevator bomb drop in slow motion - I rented a download of The Matrix Reloaded to watch for the first time right after the movie :) )
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
This game makes me angry.
Boomers make me angriest.
Quote: This game makes me angry.

What's your account name? I've been trying to add "DeeBye" to my buddy list each time I log on (adding you to my list should also add me to yours, in my experience), but I've had no luck thus far. Are you using a different handle?
Oh thanks guys! Like I didn't have enough addictions in my life.

"What do you mean the house is on fire?! Throw some water on it! I'm busy playing Gunbound!" :lol:

p.s. Thanks for the intro Warlocke. This could be a serious black hole for time.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
DeeBye,Jan 31 2004, 09:04 PM Wrote:This game makes me angry.
Why?

Also, with Nak, all three of its weapons are equal weight. If you fire a shot1, it's exactly where a shot2 and SS will land. As far as it arcing up faster than you think it shoot, it has do with with the angle it entered the ground at, AND the power behind it when it entered. A super high angle shot way up high into the air will go way, way underground before coming back up.

Also I don't know what you mean about Adiumroot being a low wind stage, it's subject to the same wind conditions as any other level.

Boomer is an extremely complicated bot, but once you learn most of the basics, it's not *that* difficult. The reason so many people have trouble with it is either failing to memorize what wind conditions cause what kind of shot (backshot, hookshot, won't go into details as it'd be long), or not realizing that is it a *very* precise bot. A *one* power change in wind will make your shot land as far as one bot-length away, and you have to hit moblies dead on to do damage. Once you're good with it though, there's no stopping you, as a good hit with it does the most damage out of any bot, save possibly Nak.
WarLocke,Feb 1 2004, 06:45 PM Wrote:What's your account name?&nbsp; I've been trying to add "DeeBye" to my buddy list each time I log on (adding you to my list should also add me to yours, in my experience), but I've had no luck thus far.&nbsp; Are you using a different handle?
I'm using DeeBye. Do I need to be logged in when you add me to your buddy list? If so, I haven't been on for the past few days (busy busy).
Omega,Feb 1 2004, 10:37 PM Wrote:Why?
Because I really, really suck.

Which is too bad, because the game looks like a lot of fun.