ethereals
is there any limitation or relation done by the code for the properties listed below at the instance of item generation?

repair itself
replenish quantity
# of sockets

any combination
and being ethereal?

when is the items being ethereal or not determined?
Quote:repair itself
replenish quantity
# of sockets

These are all independent of etherealness.

When an item drops, if it's not a set item and it's not indestructible*, there's a chance it will be ethereal. Vendors never offer ethereal items for sale and you can't get them from gambling*. Cube recipes that create items also never give ethereals, though recipes that change existing items keep the etherealness.

I think that's about it for ethereal item restrictions, though.

* Exceptions to both of these would be the uniques that are always ethereal as part of their unique properties.
Low quality items can't be ethereal either. I think stckable can't be as well but maybe that is just for sockets. Not sure.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Stackable items CAN be ethereal and are so quite often. There is even a unique ethereal set of javelins.

Stackable items can't have sockets though.
I do have question about ethreal. How does it work on Iron Golems in 1.10? Only some visual effect or really boosts IG's damage / defense? If latter is correct, then how to calculate the effect?

Cheers :D
It boosts the defense/damage based on what type of item it is. Being ethereal gives an item +50% damage if it is a weapon, or +50% defense if it is armor. Both of these are multiplied, not added, to other modifiers to damage/defense (so an ethereal armor with 100 base defense and 50% enhanced defense would have 225 defense, not 200). So if you make an iron golem out of an ethereal armor, it will have more defense, and likewise with the damage of a weapon.
Obi2Kenobi,Jan 12 2004, 01:26 AM Wrote:It boosts the defense/damage based on what type of item it is. Being ethereal gives an item +50% damage if it is a weapon, or +50% defense if it is armor. Both of these are multiplied, not added, to other modifiers to damage/defense (so an ethereal armor with 100 base defense and 50% enhanced defense would have 225 defense, not 200). So if you make an iron golem out of an ethereal armor, it will have more defense, and likewise with the damage of a weapon.
Thank you Obi2Kenobi. :lol: I am collecting information of Ethreal for my forum, but don't know much about golems. Yeah I could finish my report soon, thanks again for the quick answer.

Cheers :rolleyes:
Items which have no Durability can not be spawned as Ethereal. For example, Phase Blade.
Unless you upgrade it from a Dimensional Blade(which in turn, could have been upgraded from Crystal Sword)
Does this mean that etherial crystal or dimensional blades are prime items for cube and upgrade now?

As i understand it, one could be cubed into sockets, and then imbued to a rare and re rolled? Then Upgraded to phase blade and become indestructable? This would be without spending the socket on a zod...

does that work?

and more importantly, does it work for anything else?
The wind has no destination.
Quote:As i understand it, one could be cubed into sockets, and then imbued to a rare and re rolled? Then Upgraded to phase blade and become indestructable? This would be without spending the socket on a zod...

does that work?

No. You can't (IIRC, been a while since I imbued) imbue an item with sockets. Although if you could, it would probably just delete your sockets.
Quote:Does this mean that etherial crystal or dimensional blades are prime items for cube and upgrade now?

High-ED ethereal crystal swords and dimensional blades are great upgrade choices, yes. If you had a perfect 450% ethereal dimensional blade and upgraded it, it'd be a 253-286 (269.5 avg) damage, indestructible, [-30] speed sword. Really quite superb.

[qupte]As i understand it, one could be cubed into sockets, and then imbued to a rare and re rolled? Then Upgraded to phase blade and become indestructable? This would be without spending the socket on a zod...[/quote]

Aside from the sockets issue (you can't imbue an item with sockets)...

The rare rerolling recipes will never give an ethereal output even if they got an ethereal input. So, you could find an ethereal crystal sword or dimensional blade to upgrade, or you could imbue an ethereal crystal sword or dimensional blade and upgrade it, but you can never reroll it while retaining its etherealness.

Quote:and more importantly, does it work for anything else?

Phase blade is the only item that both has no durability and is the elite version of something that does have durability. So you can't upgrade your way to any other ethereal indestructible weapons.
so three shots at a useful embew remaining etherial.

back to the newbie q's, but would superior etherial carry over into an imbue, or just etherial? Would it be worth doing maus mules for imbue's to try to cube such a critter?
Just the ethereal is retained for the imbues.

Unfortunately, you'd need to be clvl 57+ for a chance at 450% when imbuing a crystal sword or 70+ for a dimensional blade. Considering how long it takes to get there and how low the chances of actually getting a good result are, this can't really be farmed.
Hmm, so the way I see it, get a plain ethereal crystal sword dropped at a fairly high level(60-ish monster?), upgrade to Dimensional Blade(or start with an ethereal DB from a level 60-ish critter), imbue said dimensional blade, socket with Larzuk's help(pray for 2), then upgrade to a Phase Blade, preferrably with dual Shaels. SCARY!
Nope. Imbue works at the character level, not the item level.
In addition to imbue giving ilvl = clvl + 4, regardless of what the item's ilvl was...

Only rares and uniques can be upgraded.

Larzuk will only ever give 1 socket to an item unless it's blue (1-2 sockets) or it's white (max sockets).
Actually, I believe 1.10 changed it such that Rare items(but not sure about Gold) can get up to 2 sockets. But not from Larzuk, I guess.
Indeed. Larzuk will only give 1 socket. However, the (rare-enabled) Mechanist's prefix gives a random 1-2 sockets.
why 57+ for the crystal and 70+ for the dimensional blade? shouldn't these be the same? or am i misunderstanding the process somewhere?
and as i see people doing single day 80 level chars... it's not that long really and trully