web site hosting
Has anyone taken advantage of the offer at 1&1 Internet for web site hosting? Someone posted here about this offer but I can't find the thread. I am thinking of moving arewehavingfunyet.com there. 3 years free? How can they do this? Is it too good to be true? If you are using them, have you had any problems? Anything that made you think, "Wow, that's great"? Please post if you have any experience with them. Thanks.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I signed up a few months ago. The deal was just too good to pass up on. I have nothing but good things to say about it. There are absolutely no strings attached.

For anyone else interested, here's what you get:

-500 MB web space
-5,000 MB/month traffic ($.99 per GB for additional traffic)
-No limits on simultaneous hits/bandwidth
-Protected by firewall
-Continuous backups of your website
-99.9% Uptime guarantee
-5 FTP accounts
-PHP3 & PHP4
-MySQL
-Proxy SSL Secure Server
-Cron Jobs
-SSH Secure Shell Access
-50 subdomains
-50 POP3 e-mail accounts (50 MB each)

All of this is completely free for 3 years, and you can even register your own domain name with them for $5.99.

I've just gotta figure out a better use for all that space and bandwidth than a fancy-schmancy image host :)
LochnarITB,Dec 28 2003, 08:04 PM Wrote:Has anyone taken advantage of the offer at 1&1 Internet for web site hosting?  Someone posted here about this offer but I can't find the thread.  I am thinking of moving arewehavingfunyet.com there.  3 years free?  How can they do this?  Is it too good to be true?  If you are using them, have you had any problems?  Anything that made you think, "Wow, that's great"?  Please post if you have any experience with them.  Thanks.
(Finish this well-known proverb) If it's too good to be true...

-Bolty

P.S. I'd be sure to back up my website on a very regular basis if I were hosted there.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Dec 29 2003, 02:27 AM Wrote:(Finish this well-known proverb) If it's too good to be true...

-Bolty
... but I was thinking "if it sounds too good to be true" ;)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I am definitely going to look into this. I signed up at Homestead before they started charging for webspace, so it's basically free for me (they've never tried to make me pay to keep my account or anything), but they only supply 8mb and no extras (email or anything).

Considering I really only use webspace for image hosting (and Homestead has this crappy login system that only works with IE, you have to go through about 8 pages, and is inundated with popups), this is looking good to me. :D
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Dec 28 2003, 10:45 PM Wrote:Considering I really only use webspace for image hosting (and Homestead has this crappy login system that only works with IE, you have to go through about 8 pages, and is inundated with popups), this is looking good to me.  :D
Image hosting is REALLY easy with 1and1. Since it supports PHP, you can use an uploader script (such as this one, but there are hundreds of others if you check Google).

Basically, you upload the script to a directory of your choice, specify the settings, and bookmark the uploader index page. To upload an image, you just hit your bookmark and select your file. Copy the resulting URL and you are good to go. You can upload and post an image in mere seconds.

Here's an image I have hosted on my 1and1 webspace, which took just a few seconds to upload:
[Image: afganchewie.jpg]
(created for a Something Awful Comedy Goldmine article)
Wow, the account/domain setup bit sure isn't user-friendly... Guess I'll have to wait until morning before I can do anything else (takes up to 3 hours to verify domain settings?).

Also I could do with more explanation about those uploader script thingies, if ya don't mind. :o
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
There are docs included with the PHP script I linked to. Basically, all you need to do is upload all of the included files to a directory on your webspace. There will then be an "admin.php" file which you use to specify your settings, and an "index.php" file that you use for transferring files. It's almost painless.

You'll initially need a FTP program to transfer the script to your webspace, but after that you can just use the uploader script.