Why are Sony Wegas so damned heavy?
My wife and I bought a new 32" Sony Wega at a Boxing Day sale, and I was surprised at how heavy that sucker is. It took both of us to carry it into our living room.

I had a look at the manual, and it states the weight at 165 lbs. The 36" Wega is 212 lbs.

No other 32" TV I have ever lifted even comes close to matching that weight, and I work in a store that sells TVs. What the hell does Sony pack into the case that makes it so heavy? Is the case lined with lead or something?
Sony uses Wegas as a front for their diamond-smuggling businesses. In a few days, somebody will sneak into your house and steal the diamonds out of the set. Or, you could smash it open right now and make off with millions. :)
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Inside every Sony Wega is a Chevy Vega.

They had to get rid of those suckers somehow...

-rcv-
DeeBye,Dec 26 2003, 08:12 PM Wrote:...  What the hell does Sony pack into the case that makes it so heavy?  Is the case lined with lead or something?
Four words: Homer Simpson's "Radiation King"
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:What the hell does Sony pack into the case that makes it so heavy?

Guilt.

After all, you've just spent enough money on a TV to feed three villages for a year, or have given over 1000 American homeless a warm meal and place to sleep on Christmas Day.

Enjoy.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Typical liberal drivel. Like TVs just spontaneously combust, nobody designs assembles or sells them, or if they do they must have done it for free. Somebody's family got fed and had presents on Christmas with Dee's TV, the people who actually WORKED making the TV.
Ahh, yes. The world does ply its fruits in a most unbalanced fashion, so let us all even out the ante and make everything square. And thus, let us abandon any aspiration or ambition to set for ourselves a fortuitious or comfortable life, for it is our solemn purpose in the world to toil and make effort for the charitable benefit of all others. It matters not whether you work hard or stay lax in your endeavours, for you will be compelled to give away what excess you have— until you stand at an equal footing with the lowest common who has been bolstered by your re-appropriated wealth. Choose to work hard, you will be reduced. Choose to not work at all, and you will be elevated by the hand of the state.

Be ambitious as you want. Dream as far as you want. Someone else will be here to tell you that those ambitions and dreams are not for you, and will tell you to give it up so that one in a wretched situation can exist in a slightly-less state of wretchedness.

But the wretchedness! What shall we do to dispel it? Shall we attack the conditions and factors which created the beleagured situation in the first place? Nay, we shall give handouts and alleviate the current state of suffering whlst making no conscious effort nor addressment at the forces that created this suffering. Deal with the pain of the now— and let our children deal with this exact same pain in the later...

(The following has been a Public Service Announcement of the Devil's Advocate. Showing the flaws hiding in the shadows cast by the lamp of a one-sided argument since time immemoriam.)
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
All of which doesn't change the fact that a TV at 1/4th to 1/8th the price would have more than sufficed. I don't disagree with a market economy... I disagree with excess. To me, purchasing a TV for 8x the needed amount simply because it's "cool" doesn't meet justification; it's excessive and repugnant.

By the way, I challenge you to sit down and consider exactly how much of the $1200+ the Mexican gentlemen that built the unit actually receive as compensation. I firmly believe that there are better places for my money to go than to support golden parachutes, showroom overheads and retail insurance policies.

But that's MY "liberal drivel" speaking, not yours. We seem to sit on opposite sides of that political spectrum. I don't mind... I'm in great company.
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Yup... it's a dead horse.
Garnered Wisdom --

This is a community based on computer gaming. Do you really want to call people out here for excessive spending on entertainment products? To me it comes off as being a bit rude.
Since when is calling excessive spending not allowed on the Forums?

Did I step on the Collective's Consumer-Materialistic toes, here? Shame on me!

I'm sorry... I consider a forum where the prevalence is a population of young minds with a (seeming) overabundance of disposable income (or daddy's weekly allowance) would be a SUPERB place to discuss the merits of thoughtful spending or service to one's community over the sating of one's own personal "I must have this" wishlist.

So we can discuss the state of the world, the death penalty, religion and its impact on the White House, Shrub and his administration, Education and the impact of various world events.... but don't you DARE step on my technology or my god-given-constitutional-right to own better crap than my neighbor does... because owning better crap makes me happier than he is.

Apparently, though, I was wrong. Christmas is about the getting, not the giving... and it's just another day in the way of Boxing Week Sales.
Garnered Wisdom --

what kind of Wega was it? I went to sony.com, and there were a few different 32" Wegas:

Wega #1
Wega #2
Wega #3
Wega #4
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Dec 27 2003, 09:06 PM Wrote:All of which doesn't change the fact that a TV at 1/4th to 1/8th the price would have more than sufficed.
I should be crucified for exchanging my hard-earned wages for a quality product which I will enjoy for many years to come. I should have bought a 13" black and white TV instead.

In fact, I should just sell all my worldly goods and donate the money to charity. I can only assume that you are doing the same. You must be posting from an internet cafe, paid for from the few quarters you scavenged from underneath parking meters.

Otherwise, you are a hypocrite. I'm not compelled to justify my purchases to you.

My wife and I work hard for our wages. We sometimes buy things. I once bought butter instead of margarine even though the margarine was 1/5th of the price! OMG!
Kartoffelsalat,Dec 27 2003, 10:54 PM Wrote:what kind of Wega was it?  I went to sony.com, and there were a few different 32" Wegas:

Wega #1
Wega #2
Wega #3
Wega #4
None of the above.

This is my new TV.
You're free to spend your money any way you choose to. I'm equally free to question why you'd bother to do so.

Incidentally, it's "hypocrite" and "margarine". Here:

iespell

(won't cost you a dime, unless of course that makes it undesirable for you).
Garnered Wisdom --

Quote: You're free to spend your money any way you choose to. I'm equally free to question why you'd bother to do so.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote:Incidentally, it's "hypocrite" and "margarine". Here:

iespell

(won't cost you a dime, unless of course that makes it undesirable for you).

I don't use IE. Thanks for the corrections.
Quote:All of which doesn't change the fact that a TV at 1/4th to 1/8th the price would have more than sufficed. I don't disagree with a market economy... I disagree with excess. To me, purchasing a TV for 8x the needed amount simply because it's "cool" doesn't meet justification; it's excessive and repugnant.
I feel pretty safe assuming Deebye and his wife are not theives or exploit people for their money and instead earn it. I also assume they provide their child with enough food to eat. As long as the first 2 statements are true why do you think someone should feel guilty buying something? ANYTHING. From a 25 cent whistle to a $50,000 dollar car. Saying what someone should or should not do with their property is treading a pretty thin line.

Even things that are "excess" people selling them need to do so to make money. My father is in the jewlery buisness one of the buisnesses that is truely all about excesses. Maybe he and my stepmother should go hungry and live on the street so that person who bought that gold necklace could feed someone else and give them a home. This is the flaw in your logic, wherever the money goes it is going to support a person's lifestyle the difference is how the money is exchanged. You may not like that people can afford bigger and better things than someone else but the fact reamains, they can.

Quote:By the way, I challenge you to sit down and consider exactly how much of the $1200+ the Mexican gentlemen that built the unit actually receive as compensation. I firmly believe that there are better places for my money to go than to support golden parachutes, showroom overheads and retail insurance policies.
As the low man in the chain he undoubtably gets the least of it. That's life and no matter how your country sets itself up politically all social structures have, do, and will reflect this.

If it is so little he can't live on it then it is his government that is corrupt and causing the lowness of his situation. Blaming his job is a simplistic explanation often used by anti-corporation people. The fact is someone is only exploited if the people charged with their protection (ie: a government's mandate) allows them to be. While the corperation bares some responsibility, it is that person's government that is charged with their welfare. By sending charity of your kind to a person such as this you simply lend that government more legitimacy by "providing" for its citizens.

Quote:We seem to sit on opposite sides of that political spectrum. I don't mind... I'm in great company.
Maybe on a personal basis, but living in one of the most liberal states in my own country it has been my observation that the political philosophy of charity over income usually results in the opposite of what it should be trying to accomplish. From an economic standtpoint charity is the antithesis of income and it has been my observation it results in kind.

Don't take this to be I don't belive in helping the helpless, but just as a "market economy" can be taken too far and become exploitive of people so can a "charitible" one. And telling someone they should feel guilty for buying things they can personally afford I think is doing just that.

Quote:You're free to spend your money any way you choose to. I'm equally free to question why you'd bother to do so.
Yes you are, thanks to some selfish buisnessmen who thought maybe countries should be based on individual rights and free market rather than serfdom.

Quote:Apparently, though, I was wrong. Christmas is about the getting, not the giving...
Giving and sacraficing are 2 different things. I specificly used cash in the checkout lines then "gave" the left overs to the Salvation Army volenteer outside the store, I did not "sacrafice" my groceries so they could have more money.

Quote:Incidentally, it's "hypocrite" and "margarine". Here:
Was the point of this to:
A ) Support your point.
B ) Prove your point.
C ) Show how much smarter than someone you must be because you spell check.
"Inside every Sony Wega is a Chevy Vega.

They had to get rid of those suckers somehow..."

Nah, those all were programmed to self destruct as soon as they were paid for. :lol:
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Dec 27 2003, 12:40 PM Wrote:Guilt. 

After all, you've just spent enough money on a TV to feed three villages for a year, or have given over 1000 American homeless a warm meal and place to sleep on Christmas Day.

Enjoy.
*bites tongue*

just figured out how to quote, cool!
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
If you examine your Sony Wega Theater System carefully, you'll see that there are, infact, a dozen or so tiny cameras around the outside. These transmit live video feed of you struggling to carry the thing so that all the guys (and gals) at Sony can have a good laugh. The weight, of course, comes from all the transmission equipment required to send 12 simultaneous live video feeds. The cameras are, of course, only activated on movement, and the massive weight of the TV helps in that regard too, as it means that minor things like earthquakes and nuclear explosions don't cause it to make them watch all those video feeds just to see that you aren't really struggling to move it.

-Bob