Multiplayer...
Hey,

The computer that I play Diablo 2 on, (Diablo2LODv1.10) to be precise is currently offline. I have always played Single Player games and used the '/players 8' command, but playing on the same map each time can be quite boring. My question is: Is there anyway to play offline but use a randomised map each time, this could be either a multiplayer option, or something I may have to download.

Thanks in advance!
To randomize your map, just create a multiplayer tcp/ip game. You will then have a new map. You can play solo in that tcp/ip game, and I believe that the /players 8 switch will work as well. If not, just go back to your single player game and you will still have a new random map.

Enjoy.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Open the Diablo Folder in Windows Explorer. In my computer it is in the Programs Folder.

Open the Save Folder inside. You will see a list of your character names, each with four files. The one with the suffix .d2s is your character information. The other three hold the map information. (It may be only one of them.) However, you can safely delete the other three. When you next play, the game will randomly generate a new map for you.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

@ShadowHM

No, the map information is saved on the character, only what you've seen of that map is in another file.
And if you don't see a multiplayer option or it is greyed out because you only have a modem or such in the system and hence don't have an IP all the time. You can add a loop back adpater (just add a new networking device and tell it to add the MS loopback adapter) which is a virtual network card so that you can get yourself an IP when you aren't connected to a network, and then you will have the multiplayer option. You may need to have an actual NIC (network interface card) in the machine to be able to add a loopback adapter but I am not positive. I also don't remember if the 9X (this includes ME) have this option, its been a while since I really used one of those OSen.

You can supply a static IP on your NIC as well, but then you may have to change that back to DHCP later on.

D2 doesn't like to give the multiplayer option unless you have an IP address. :) And from the way you asked the question, I assumed that was your issue.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I have had to re-install D2 a few times and have saved only the files with the suffix .d2s.

And the maps seemed brand new to me when I got to play again! Just goes to show what the passage of a week or so and the vagaries of aging wetware will do to you. B)

Thanks, adamantine, for the correction.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake