Pet problems. Why is my pet an idiot?
SO I have noticed as I'm leveling my hunter, pets have been exhibiting some odd behaviors recently. I have sent my pet to attack a mob, and he will engage the mob, and then run for a while before coming to a stop.

Normally, it's not a big deal, as He doesn't get out of range, or do anything silly like that, but every once in a while, he does it and it has dire consequences. I've died, I've wiped an instance (though to be fair, I forgot to turn growl off), and I've pulled WAY more than I wanted to.

My frustration boiled over last night when I pulled a hellboar in HFP, only to have the pet run another 20 yards or so, and right into the path of the Fel Reaver. Gorilla 2 shotted, Fel reaver running at me, I feign.. Problem is, The Fel Reaver is so high that he resists it, and 1 shots my prone body:(

Is anyone else experiencing pet stupidity?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:SO I have noticed as I'm leveling my hunter, pets have been exhibiting some odd behaviors recently. I have sent my pet to attack a mob, and he will engage the mob, and then run for a while before coming to a stop.

Normally, it's not a big deal, as He doesn't get out of range, or do anything silly like that, but every once in a while, he does it and it has dire consequences. I've died, I've wiped an instance (though to be fair, I forgot to turn growl off), and I've pulled WAY more than I wanted to.

My frustration boiled over last night when I pulled a hellboar in HFP, only to have the pet run another 20 yards or so, and right into the path of the Fel Reaver. Gorilla 2 shotted, Fel reaver running at me, I feign.. Problem is, The Fel Reaver is so high that he resists it, and 1 shots my prone body:(

Is anyone else experiencing pet stupidity?

I see it all the time on my warlock pet.

Ah yes the old "ring around the rosy" pet problem where the pet and mob play some strange dance that has them constantly repositioning and as you mentioned sometimes running off 20+ yards. That's been in game since they set pets to try and attack from behind. I may have experienced it before then, but it was way more common after that change.

I've never found a common theme to what causes it so have no idea how to fix it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I see it all the time on my warlock pet.
My DK's ghoul does the same thing. I probably see the problem less, as it only happens when the pet has aggro, and that doesn't happen much with the ghoul. Hunters, on the other hand...

If it really bugs you, you can fix it with Death Grip. Er.... wait... nevermind.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Its a feature. Just keep an eye on your pet and if it starts, recall him, and then tell him to attack again. That seems to correct it.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
:)Oh if I had DG.... I didnt' realize that it could be caused by the pet trying to get behind the mob. Like I said, it's normally not a problem, unless you are a newb and forget to shut off growl (and the ape runs in, growls off the tank, and then runs up the corridor in ramps 3 more groups...) or when there happens to be a Fel Reaver running around.

It's more of an annoyance factor. Thanks for the info. Though, I'm finding with Survival, this could become less of a problem leveling.... By the time that explosive shot hits the third time and the steady has hit, Omen is saying

[in my best impersonation of the creepy voice]
You... Will.... DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE....
[/creepy voice]

But then, by the time the mob get's to me, it's dead.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
As has been mentioned, recalling your pet and then setting it to attack again (usually) fixes this. If you have "pet-attack" and "pet-follow" keybound, hitting follow and attack in rapid succession usually is enough.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Pets are behaving weirdly since 3.0.3. Even recalling doesn't always fix the problem. 12 raids of VoA total, in 8 of them my cat just freezes somewhere in the back and doesn't do anything. The same goes for Thaddius. I've tried dismissing and calling back to no awail.

Also I've had severe trouble with my lock's felguard while swimming. He just goes down to the bottom and leaves all the sharks on me. Yesterday he managed to drown (which obviously was a bug as I had water breathing and didn't drown myself). Apart from the problem with multiple mobs where he attacks the mob HE likes best, and not the one I'm attacking.