Metallica
Hey everyone, Michael here. I was just wondering if there was any heavy metal fans around here, or at least rock fans. I've been into heavy metal and rock since I was around 10 because everytime I went to my neighbor's house, he would blast it on his stereo system, subjecting me to the music which would soon become my favorite type of music to listen to. I love Metallica, Linkin Park, Disturbed, System of a Down, Rammestein(German :P), and many others. Therefore, this Christmas I hope to collect all of Metallica's cds. I already have or know I'm getting: Master of Puppets, The Black Album, Reloaded, And Justice for All, and St.Anger. I'm missing a few but hope to get most of them by the end of Christmas break. So was just wondering who else likes heavy metal or you can talk about your favorite type of music or how you came to love it.
Ran off to the Amazon Basin
I am not a "fan", but I do hear my share of the "harder arts".

I am not that keen on Metallica because I can't stand James Hetfield's voice.

Nu-Metal:
I am a great appreciator of System of a Down (even before they were hip). I also like early KoRn (their two first albums). I am a semi-fan of Deftones (I consider their first album an immortal masterwork).
I don't care for all that newfangled watered down piss like Linkin Park, Alien Ant Farm and Papa Roach.

Black Metal:
I like Satyricon, (a black metal band that does not pretend to be vikings), especially their anti-establishment hymn Prime Evil Rennaissance.

Tanz-Metal:
I love Rammstein with all their catchy keyboard riffs and wacky stage antics. I also know enough german to appreciate their often hilarious lyrics. I also like Rob Zombie for similar reasons.

Industrial-Metal hybrids:
Gotta love Ministry. Personally I consider Supernaut from their sideproject 1000 Homo DJ's one of the finest guitar riffs of all times. Nine Inch Nail's Wish is the song I always hear when I am down and needs to be cheered up a bit.

Mad Gabba-Metal:
Gotta have at least some respect for The Berzerker. Damn they're HARD!

Prog/Heavy:
I love Tool's massive, melodic and organic sound. Their third album is my clear favourite.
I am a big heavy metal fan and have been for years (hair and all). But of what you listed, none of it is really heavy metal (except for the older Metallica). If you want to get into real heavy metal you need to not listen to the radio as that isn't where it's at.

Favorite metal bands:

Slayer
Iron Maiden
Venom
Motörhead
Testament
Vader
Type O Negative

If you are interested in more or want to know any more, feel free to reply to this post.

Selby
"Permission to Land", by The Darkness. I first heard \ saw these guys on my local music channel at 3:00 am. ("Get your hands off my woman") My first reaction was, are these guys for real? Did I step into a time portal back to 1985? It was like finding out Spinal Tap was not a comedy, but an actual documentary.

Some detractors threw out the usual list of complaints. Just a rehash of 70's and 80's hair glam "male genitalia" rock. Joke band. Nothing but a tribute band without any cover song, dressed in David Lee Roth wardrobe.

But you know what, it's hard for me to hate on a band that is this sincere and passionate about "rawking out". The fact that these guys also have a sense of humour and fun doesn't hurt either. And it's been too long since I've heard an enthusiastic falsetto screaming "GEE-TAAAR!" right before a guitar solo.

So long live the mullet, spandex unitards, and GEETAAR!
I once fell asleep at a Slayer concert.
I have rather eclectic tastes in music, but my favorite to this day would be Nine Inch Nails.

As for Metallica, if you haven't already checked it out, look for S&M. It's Metallica plus a full symphony orchestra. How can you go wrong with that?
See you in Town,
-Z
S&M was inspired in no small part by the efforts and success of Apocalyptica, whose first two U.S.-released albums covered many of the best-known Metallica works.

The catch? The group was first formed at the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki. Classical music. Apocalyptica is a heavy metal cello quartet.

Their evolution can be mapped through the three US-released albums they have made through '96 to '01.

Their first album, Plays Metallica on Four Cellos consisted of nothing but Metallica covers. While the concept of the music experiment was original, the execution of it in the album was certainly not: they stuck to a virtual note-for-note interpretation of the original metal songs. The overall effect is as if you ran Metallica's black album through a MIDI player. But it met with enough success to encourage the group further. Thank the gods of string and wood for that...

1998 saw the release of Inquisition Symphony. The first album had at least shown Apocalyptica that the idea of a heavy metal cello quartet was not the most inane concept ever dreamed of by humanity. Emboldened by that, the second album loosened up considerably both conceptually and mechanically. There were the expected Metallica re-makes as well as covers from other heavy metal bands, but there were some original compositions as well. But the biggest change came with technique: no longer bound to interpret the notes dead-on, the actual execution of the pieces took on a fair degree of liberty. In addition, the pieces took on a subtly greater adherence to the classical techniques of cello and strings. Some of the pieces actually sound like natural cello compositions and you'd be hard-pressed to envision they were composed no later than the 20th century. But it's not all soft and melodic: other pieces take on a bold sound that emulates the guitar and is easily recognizable as metal in nature. The Apocalyptica sound was beginning to emerge here in this album, and they were no longer just a band that "sort of sounds like Metallica".

The third album, Cult, is more or less the first "true" Apocalyptica album. The cover songs, once the mainstay of the group, are now a side-thought and only takes up three tracks out of thirteen. The rest are original pieces composed by leader Eicca Toppinen. There's a decidedly cinematic quality to some of the pieces (which, in my opinionated side-bar, is a legitimate classification of many timeless classical compositions— as movie soundtracks of today are the direct descendants of many classical works in history) and the sound is uniquely theirs. Simply put, they ran out of Metallica songs to cover, but right at the point where they no longer needed any in order to get by.

With the exception of "Path, Volume II" on Cult, the pieces on the albums are all instrumentals-- no vocals. Mind you, there are lyrics and lyrical tracks, but only those that you can imagine you hear within the notes themselves. The cello can be played as a Cleft C instrument, one of a few that can. The instrument shares this range with the viola, the bassoon, and... the human voice.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Wow guys thanks for all the responses. I know, of the bands I mentioned only one that is heavy metal is Metallica, but I love rock too ;). Yup, I need to get heavier although if you'd see me, you'd never think I was a rocker :P. I need to do some shopping! Anyways I'm gonig to the Linkin Park concert Jan.27 here in Montrreal and I can't wait although no mosh pits for me. I may be tall, but need to work on the muscle, although I do play hockey :P. So what kind of music do Lurkers listen to?
Ran off to the Amazon Basin
Incredulously drunk right now.. I will say this: I like most of Metallica's music.. Will elaborate when coherent. (meaning: morning)

I edited.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I'm a pretty big fan of heavy metal. Metallica is, obviously, the most popular, or at least well-known, of the big bands. Their early stuff is certainly good, but I believe that Metallica (commonly referred to as The Black Album) was their last decent album. St. Anger is downright inexcusable. I will admit that I liked "I Disappear", which appeared on the Mission: Impossible soundtrack.

In addition to heavy metal, I also listen to various other kinds of metal, including black metal, death metal, and thrash metal.

I also like hard rock and alternative - I consider the nineties the golden age for alternative and a definite good time for rock. Favorite bands (and albums) from that period of time include Bush (Sixteen Stone is a great album; favorite songs include Everything Zen, Come Down, Machinehead, and Glycerine), Tonic (Lemon Parade is their only decent album; I like pretty much every song on the album - Mountain is one of my favorite songs of all time), and Matchbox 20 (Yourself or Someone Like You, like Tonic, is their only decent album, in my opinion; no real favorite tracks, but none that I truly dislike, either.)

More recent and/or contemporary groups I've been listening to as of late: AFI (their early stuff is SO much better than their newer stuff; I consider The Art of Drowning to be their best album), Audioslave (bought the album on advice from a friend - it's not horrible, but I've heard better), and Red Hot Chili Peppers (not a really new group, but I like their new single, "Fortune Faded".)

I've also been listening to German jazzer Bireli Lagrene, old-school depressing rock The Cure, old-school rock R.E.M., and even a bit of classical. My musical tastes are varied, to say the least.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
heir early stuff is certainly good, but I believe that Metallica (commonly referred to as The Black Album) was their last decent album.

Oddly, I would almost consider it their *first* decent album. I guess that's why I consider myself a Metallica fan but not a metal fan. My favorite metallica albums would be 1)S&M, 2)Load, 3)Metallica, 4)the rest are all a blur. I like a few tracks from each of the early albums, but much of it strikes me as being over the top. I suppose that is the whole point of metal though.
Can't say I am a heavy metal fan, but I love Metallica's Wiskey in the jar. They have done some other not so bad songs too.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf? Is it Jarulf? And Nystul? Both still alive?

[Image: emot-megamonocle.gif]
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
[ Wrote:Angel,Dec 23 2003, 12:52 AM] Incredulously drunk right now.. I will say this: I like most of Metallica's music.. Will elaborate when coherent. (meaning: morning)

I edited.
Every album with the exception of St. Anger has at least 1 song I like. (Most albums have more than 1 song)

I prefer the older stuff (Ride, Master) to most of the stuff on Reload. (Load has some good songs though.)

S&M is the greatest thing that's happened to rock music, in my opinion. It's truly the pinnacle of Metallica's career.

I also listen to Dream Theater. There's some great melodies and lyrics in their music in addition to their skills with an instrument.
Hey,

Only a recent Metallica fan, but in my opinion 'Master of the puppets' was the best album that they ever released, along with 'One' which is my favourite song they ever did.

I also like Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, NOFX, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Nirvana and the Foo Fighters...

Just thought I would add my thoughts for once!
Well, I've been a heavy and metal fan for basically 20 years now, started out with the normal Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rainbow, Nazareth etc etc...Right now I listen to basically anything with good guitars and singing, though now it also includes jazz, classical, rock and blues aswel.

I'm not a great fan for this so called nu-metal thing, though there are some good elements there aswel. As for death metal and such, I simply can't stand the concept of distortion turned to 11 and a singer who sounds like he's trying to vomit and eath the microphone at the same time...Plus the guitarists are just banging the instruments, not really playing. And before I get flamed for how "hard" it is to play like that and how hard it's to play fast and blah blah...I've been playing guitar for 21 years now, I know exactly how "hard" it is, anyone can play fast, anyone can turn up the distortion all the way up. Just try playing extremely slow and still stay in time, that's when you start having problems. Also, try playing so that every note is pure, no sloppy playing at all. It's after that when it's time to turn up distortion, if you want to. Not before, as it's not meant to cover your lack of skills in playing.

Little side note for Jarulf, Whiskey in a jar isn't Metallica's song, they covered Thin Lizzy's song which was originally a traditional irish drinking song... :P
-Borlag
www.Euro-RPG.com
"war is not about who is right, it is about who is left..."
Not because it resembles the music from the game in any way, but because the vocalists in some of these death/thrash/nuclear/bananacream pie-metal bands sound like they've been dragged through a zerg-mixer.

Every time someone pushes one of these "songs" on me, I instantly get the feeling that I haven't positioned my siege tanks yet.

----

I also love Pain of Salvation, a Swedish prog-rock band. I've only gotten 1 of their albums yet (Remedy Lane) but I'm so happy with it, I feel I don't need another.

* Fantastic lyrics
* Great singer
* Technically capable musicians.
* Not too heavy.

I uploaded 2 songs from Dream Theater's latest albums.

The first one is an instrumental. Starts slow, but becomes quite powerful all of a sudden.

The next one is the last song on the album. It's called "In the name of God" and deals with the issue of religious leaders who use religion as an excuse to commit acts of violence. Contrary to what one might think, this is not about September 11th. I'm not sure if it's clear in the lyrics, but I seem to remember they've mentioned in interviews that the song is about 3 Christian religious leaders; not muslim.

Does following faith lead us to violence?

The lyrics for In the name of God can be found
here.
Metallica was never my favorite band, but I like their older stuff. I've always been a Rock n Roll fan. Some really early favorites were Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, and even the Beatles. By early High School I'd added bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, and Sepultura to my list.

Then some of my friends got into punk. It took me a while to "convert" but now (17 years later) it's by far my favorite genre of rock. Punks got all the guitar noise I loved about metal, but I find the lyrics much more fun to listen to. I could go into a giant list of my favorites but I'll just say that my punk CD collection is posted on my website. I'm also running a radio station if you'd care to listen.
I first heard Metallica right after they released Ride the Lightning. I picked it up and listened to it all the time. I still have it. It is the original release on Megaforce records. I stuck with them for a few more albums. I picked up St. Anger, but prior to it, the last one I bought was the self titled (the 'Black' album).

My musical tastes are all over the place. My first love was Kiss. (I was born in 1969, so that should help some of you figure out things). They were my first concert. Father's Day - 1979. I got to see them in full makeup with the original lineup. Outstanding show.

Music wasn't all that important to me until a few years later. I started listening to Van Halen (s/t, II, Women and Children First, etc.), Black Sabbath (Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell), and AC/DC (Back in Black, High Voltage, Dirty Deeds). That type of music brought me to the 1980's 'hair' bands - Ratt, Dio, Twisted Sister, Iron Maiden (not a hair band, really), Judas Priest (them either, come to think of it).

After that phase, I started getting into punk. I was lucky enough to attend the last tour of Black Flag. Seeing the physically powerful Henry Rollins on stage with his original band was a high point in my musical backstory. That event led me to shows in the mid 80's like D.R.I., G.B.H., Exploited, Agnostic Front, and 7 Seconds. My love of punk and metal found a new home when S.O.D. released their debut album. I couldn't believe something could be so damn heavy. That album brought me back to metal and I started listening to Slayer, Motorhead, C.O.C., and Anthrax (I actually interviewed them twice).

Looking for something new, I ended up smack-dab in the middle of the 'third wave of ska'. Bands like The Scofflaws, The Toasters, MU330, and Mephiskapheles kept me involved in live music. Some bands even took some metal and ska and ended up with some fun stuff. Voodoo Glow Skuls and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were two that brought the heavy guitars and the smooth brass on tour with them. Man, those were great shows.

Out of all the stuff I've listened to, I haven't lost much of a taste for any of it ('cept the Ratt, Dio, and Twisted Sister). I have nearly 400 CDs covering nearly everything. You won't find hardly any top 40 in my collection, however. Nor will you find much rap/R&B (OK - I do have a few from Ice Cube, The Beastie Boys, House of Pain, and Cypress Hill).

I've seen my fair share of great live shows. Seeing Rage Against the Machine open for House of Pain was pretty damn cool. Attending the first Lollapallooza was great as well. I got to see Green Day perform in the back of a CD store in Gainesville in front of about 30 people. I saw Jane's Addiction open for Iggy Pop. Had the 'gods of touring' been on my side, I would have seen Metallica open for Ozzy Osbourne (Ozzy kicked them off the tour before they made it to Miami). I got to see Henry Rollins, the Beastie Boys, and Cypress Hill all perform on the same stage in the same night. I played soccer with Colin (singer from G.B.H.) befor their show at the Cameo Theater in Miami. I hung out on Anthrax's tour bus - twice. I was very good friends with Michael Stipe's sister (in Micanopy, FL - outside of Gainesville), so I got to meet Michael on a few occasions. We even drove in his car once over to River Phoenix's house (before he died). My roomate was in River's band, so I saw him all the time as well.

I can't wait to start bringing my son to some of the shows. He'll love them as well, I'm sure.
TPJ • Founder, The Amazon Basin
Wow! Very similar history, minus the hair bands. I was born in 1968, first show was AC/DC, still love SOD (Alex, what's that noise?!?), went to the first two Lollapallooza's, saw Jane's Addiction open for X, etc. Never met River Phoenix, but I've had beers with Weird Al Yankovic a couple of times. :)

Oh yeah, I've got a little boy too!