WC3 clarification needed
OK, I finally got myself WC3 (having had the expansion for a while). Is it correct in that the expansion is actually like a seperate game. That is, you can start the original (with its campaigns), or the expansion, whit its campaign. In addition, there is something called custom campaign in the expansion. Is that correct? Either I have missplaced the manual for the expansion or I got none so can't read about it there.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Yup, you can start either the expansion or WCIII campaigns. Logically, this was probably done so that people who had beaten the game and uninstalled it would not have to go through the whole game again.

The bonus Orc campaign (Which is now complete with patch 1.13 out) seems to be an experiment with some of the UMS styles that are out there - there is a hero arena section, most of it plays like a UMS RPG, and the last level is an AoS style battle.

Custom Campaign is so that people can create more than a single map, but rather a full series of maps as a whole. I think that there is an example that comes with FT.
OK, thanks. I still think they could have made it so starting any of the "games" (could have ben just one file so to speak) would have given you access to all campaigns and so on. Less confusing. Now I of course started the expansion (thought the icon I got from it and deleted the old WC3 shortcut), and only after playing for a few scenarios I was reading the manual and realised the first campaign should actually be a tutorial with the orc and then I should play the humans. And I was palying the night elves (who I like though). Oh well :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:Custom Campaign is so that people can create more than a single map, but rather a full series of maps as a whole. I think that there is an example that comes with FT.

The one that comes with TFT is the remainder of the 'tutorial' campaign from the demo. In the demo, the tutorial was 5 missions long (or maybe 6) in the full version it is 2, the extra campaign is the remainder of those levels, and they are well worth playing (If you want to know why headhunters say "for sen'jin" when they come out).

-Bob
Bob,Dec 21 2003, 02:14 PM Wrote:The one that comes with TFT is the remainder of the 'tutorial' campaign from the demo. In the demo, the tutorial was 5 missions long (or maybe 6) in the full version it is 2, the extra campaign is the remainder of those levels, and they are well worth playing (If you want to know why headhunters say "for sen'jin" when they come out).

-Bob
Hmm, I played the first "scenario" or whatever you call it with the Orcs on the expansion. It ws VERY long and big (but very good and fun too). Did it (and even more) really take part in a demo? I have a hard time thinking so. It is about Thrall though (or rather, he sits in town).
Quote:Hmm, I played the first "scenario" or whatever you call it with the Orcs on the expansion. It ws VERY long and big (but very good and fun too). Did it (and even more) really take part in a demo? I have a hard time thinking so. It is about Thrall though (or rather, he sits in town).

no no, not the bonus orc campaign that comes with TFT. There's a 'custom campaign' that comes with TFT (hit the custom campign button and there it is). It is made up of the rest of the missions that were in the 'tutorial campaign' from the demo.

-Bob
Bob,Dec 22 2003, 03:13 PM Wrote:no no, not the bonus orc campaign that comes with TFT. There's a 'custom campaign' that comes with TFT (hit the custom campign button and there it is). It is made up of the rest of the missions that were in the 'tutorial campaign' from the demo.

-Bob
OHHH, ok. This is crazy, there are way to many places to reach different campaigns in this game. Two different "games" to start up, each with different menu options for different campaigns and so on. Quite confusing :) Thanks for pointing it out though. I don't think I ever got a manual with the expansion either so I am lost on that one.

By the way, there was no speech during the intro movie of the first scenario of the expansion (the Orc custom campaign). Is that how it should be? Or is there a bug? Or is it me? All other movies and cut scenes in other campaigns has always had speech.

More: There is actually no speech in that game at all, that is, quest related when they talk to each other. There is still speech when you click on a unit though.
I don't think I ever got a manual with the expansion either so I am lost on that one.

The manual is located on the inside of the cd case. This is the way the manual was done for Starcraft:Broodwar and the Hellfire diablo expansion. The manual is basically just descriptions of the new units and heros, nothing you can't find better than what's at www.battle.net/war3
-Ell_man
Ell_man,Dec 23 2003, 06:17 AM Wrote:I don't think I ever got a manual with the expansion either so I am lost on that one.

The manual is located on the inside of the cd case.  This is the way the manual was done for Starcraft:Broodwar and the Hellfire diablo expansion.  The manual is basically just descriptions of the new units and heros, nothing you can't find better than what's at www.battle.net/war3

I might have thrown it away, but I don't think so. I just got a CD-case with a CD if I recall. It was not a purchase though, I got it directly from Blizzard :) Perhaps they didn't add the "manual".

But it didn't tell about the new menues and campaign options then? I found the manual for the original game very informative and good though.
Nope, I don't see anything in here about the different campaigns. It has:

Instalation instructions
How to play classic wc3
tech support numbers
1 page about the story

The rest is about the new heros/units/upgrades

It's pretty bare compared to the other manual but that's to be expected from an expansion
-Ell_man
Yes, there are several ways to play the game:

Single Player
1. Campaign (Blizzard Made)
- Reign of Chaos Campaign (RoC Only)
- The Frozen Throne Campaign (TFT Only)
- Bonus Orc Campaign (TFT Only)
2. Custom Campaign (TFT Only, user made campaigns)
3. Custom Game (user made scenarios)
4. View Replay (watch any game replays, including multiplayer)

Multiplayer, Battle.net
1. Ladder Melee Games, anonymous match-making (AMM)
- 1 vs 1
- Arranged team
- Random team
- Free For All
2. Custom Games (all non-ladder multiplayer games)
- includes melee games without AMM

Furthermore, you need to start Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne from their own icons, depending on which one of them you want to play.

Also, there may be a bug that makes heros attacking very slowly in single player campaigns and scenarios (which was introduced in patch 1.13), but Blizzard promised to fix it ASAP after Christmas.

Hope it cleared things up and merry Christmas, Jarulf.
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
OK, another question regarding the save games. It seems that WC3 and the TFT share the same save folder right? And hence the same file names? BUT, it also seems that once in one game, you only see the save games of that game, not the other, right? So, when I was playing the original game and got to the orc campaign, I started to save in o1, o2 and so on. But that also was the name for the bonus campaign in TFT, and hence I lost ALL those saving :( Or have I missed something? What a stupid system if this is true. :angry: