Game platform decision
I think this year I am finally going to upgrade from my current Super NES system. :) (Hey, Donkey Kong Country is a lot of fun!)

The question I am analyzing is, what am I going to upgrade to? There are the three obvious options (the Big Three). They all seem to cost about the same. I haven't used any of them. I've heard others talk about systems and games that they like.

Is there a good web resource comparing advantages and disadvantages of each system? Or, better yet, are there knowledgeable lurkers who have tried one or more of the Big Three and can recommend one, dis-recommend one, or just give general feedback?

Any information is appreciated.
>I've heard others talk about systems and games that they like.

Personally, I'd look at the selection of games it has. Specifically, if they have the games that -you- like.

Beside looking at what type of games you like, and looking at a list of what games they have. It might be worthwhile to rent a system from the local video store.

( For my money, it's still the Dreamcast for Soul Calibur and Virtual On. But I'm guessing you're looking at newer console systems. ;) )
Quote:There are the three obvious options (the Big Three). They all seem to cost about the same.
Well, GameCubes are only $100 now, while the other systems are almost twice that.

[*]Consider getting a GameCube if you love Zelda, Metroid, and Mario series. Those are the only games for it that are really worth playing, but that was fine for me because they're, well, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario! ^_^ The sweetness outweighs any other factor. One nice thing is that the system will come with one of those three games depending on the package (there's a Zelda collector's edition GC out now). The games that come with the other two systems are crap.

[*]Consider getting an X-Box if and only if you specifically love two or more games that are exclusive to the X-Box.

[*]When in doubt, get a PS2. The other systems don't come close to it in terms of game selection.
I have a PS2 which I wanted only because I love going head to head with my friends on Japanese martial arts games on a console. It's great for those times when you can't spar for real. For RPG's, and games which require depth, I prefer a PC.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I own a PS2 and love it. Huge game selection, good graphics. People say that X-Box has better graphics, but I don't care, they also have one gave, Halo. A good one, but one game. But if you really want some bang for your buck, upgrade to Sega Genisis. You heard me right. Sega has tons of great games for cheap to. You may have to do a little bit or searching, but they are classics. Some of my favorites are the Contra series(started with NES), and Streets of Rage. Golden Axe is also a fun one. Don't forget Shinobi! :) The list goes on... :rolleyes:
WWBBD?
I've pledged my allegiance to Sony's machines since 1996. I've owned a Playstation (2 actually) and a Playstation2.

Hammerskjold is correct:
Comparing consoles is, to some degree, stupid. You should be comparing games.

I love my PS2 for the following titles:
* Metal Gear Solid
* Final Fantasy
* Gran Turismo
* Resident Evil
* Silent Hill

I bought a Gamecube recently. Why? Because I *needed* Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil zero. I've yet to buy another game for the Gamecube, and I don't expect I will. Perhaps when the remake of Metal Gear Solid1 comes out for the GC, or when the next line of Final Fantasy gets shipped to Nintendo's console.

As of right now, I'm looking forward to these games:
* Half life 2 - PC
* Doom 3 - PC
* Gran Turismo 4 - PS2
* Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2
* Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube

It's all about the type of games you like. (also, if you don't already own a DVD-player, the Playstation2 will get points for being one).
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[ Wrote:Angel,Dec 18 2003, 11:09 PM]I bought a Gamecube recently. Why? Because I *needed* Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil zero. I've yet to buy another game for the Gamecube, and I don't expect I will.
I hear that Metroid Prime game is really good. I really recommend picking it up. It can be had for $29.99 new nowadays.
/// Zoid.
Yeah. I know Metroid Prime and Zelda: the windwaker are some of the best games out there, but I'm skeptical. I don't doubt the millions of people who say these are the best games ever, but I don't know if their taste in games coincides with mine.
Ah, Zoid, you still crack me up. :D Good to see you're still around.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Angel, I'm pretty sure that was a self-plug: Zoid worked on Metroid Prime. ;)

I've heard it's pretty good too, but as mentioned earlier I don't own a console so I can't really comment.

I've come into a windfall recently ($$ for Christmas, Santa must be rolling in his grave...), so I'll be watching this thread closely... I'm halfway-considering buying a console if they go on post-Christmas sale...
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Dec 19 2003, 12:59 AM Wrote:Angel, I'm pretty sure that was a self-plug:  Zoid worked on Metroid Prime.  ;)
Oh, I wasn't aware we had a celebrity in our midst.

---

I'm sharing the GC with a friend of mine. Perhaps I can persuade him to "pony up the dough" for Metroid prime.

Piece of useless information:
"Did you know:"
- That the original name of the Gamecube was "Project Dolphin"? :lol:
If I had a gamecube, Metroid Prime would be the first game I picked up. :lol:
-TheDragoon
wonder if there are any secrets in there that arn't offically realsed yet.....
The wind has no destination.
Quote:When in doubt, get a PS2. The other systems don't come close to it in terms of game selection.

I definatly agree to that, ps2 is the safe choice. I have heard too many horror stories about xbox, and gamecube is just not worth the money. ps2 is practical, and reliable, and it also has by FAR the most games. (you can play ps1 games on ps2) a feature which no other system offers.
*sigh*

I must admit, I play console games far more than D2 nowadays (ducks tomatoes and soda cans)...

I wholeheartedly agree with the above posters about "comparing games, not the systems), however, there are subtleties as well. If you are a sports fan, consider purchasing the PS2, as it offers nearly every sports game imaginable (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, etc.) and you can play it online. However, it requires an ISP and a monthly fee, so if you're not willing to shell out an extra ~10$ a month to play the games online, it may not be right for you.
However, the PS2 is home to what many hail as the "Renaissance" of online console gaming: SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals. A first-person shooter akin to Counter Strike, this is the game that has carried the online gaming torch for Sony this past year.
But the Gamecube offers many more excellent first-party games, i.e. Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Brothers Melee, etc. Some terrific third-party games flesh out the Gamecube library, including the Resident Evil series.
And finally, the main reason most people buy the X-BOX is to play Halo. A First Person Shooter on par with Goldeneye, Wolfenstein, and Half-life, it was voted game of the year, I think.
The bottom line is this: The Gamecube has a good, core base of first-party games, and might be considered a "kiddy" system, due to lack of Mature games. Also has the carppiest online play of the three.
The PS2 offers the largest selection of titles, online play, and an okay DVD player.
The XBOX offers the best graphics and sound, online play, and contains a few gems (Halo).
Myself, I'm a Nintendo fan through and through, so I own a gamecube, and am extremely satisfied with it. But whatever floats your boat...
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
I've played HALO on the PC, and I'm not that impressed. Sure the graphics are nice and there is definately an atmosphere in the game, but I didn't care for the weapons nor the enemies. I want to kill people, (or people-like things, like zombies) not thousands upon thousands of small creatures with shields.

The game has a tendency to get very tedious and repetitive.
I also agree that games are the key. But since I don't play that many console games (most of them I just don't like that much) I looked for other qualities first.

If you don't have a DVD player already (I didn't) then the X-Box is a better choice. It just works better as a DVD player than the PS2.

I like the X-Box controllers more the layout and size is much much better for me (and I am talking about the really big original ones, though I like the smaller ones they use by default as well). I loath the GC controllers. PS2 is alright.

X-Box can go online with gamespy and you don't need to pay for X-Box live. The system link feature is handy if you know other X-Boxers and have a cross over cable (or hub) around.

The games I own for it right now.
DOA 3 - I have played Soul Caliber and Soul Caliber 2, I like DOA 3 better
Kung Fu Kaos - A quirkly little fighter with simple controls and some quite fun multiplayer
Midway Treasures (multiplatform) - Love the 4 player gauntlet action and the 3 player RC one too. Plus satans hollow, sinistar, and tons of others (40 total I think)!
Halo - It plays well on the box.
Fuzion Frenzy - The X-Box party game. Though you like it or you hate it I hear.
Splinter Cell (multiplatform) - A gift from my Mom, but it feels more right on box than PC.
SSX Tricky (multiplatform) - The races against my wife can get pretty intense. :)
Madden NFL 2004 (multiplatform) - It's Madden

So for a system that I mainly got as a DVD player a year ago (it was on sale for $170 with the DVD kit) I have picked up a few games that I enjoy. Sports games with online multiplayer are just as prevalent on the X-Box as PS2.

The selection for the box seems to be growing quite well too. I don't really know how many exclusives it has, but I think of the 8 that I own 4 of them are. I could be wrong.

That's just some of my input. I agree that in most cases the console is more about the games than anything else though.

Oh, and the scary thing, my 54 year old mother wants an X-Box and Amped for Christmas... :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I have heard too many horror stories about xbox, and gamecube is just not worth the money.

Please elaborate. What "horror stories" and why is the Gamecube not worth the money?
Quote:People say that X-Box has better graphics, but I don't care, they also have one gave, Halo.
This one's popping up all over the thread; I wish these forums weren't threaded. :( Anyway, it was true at one point that the only reason to buy an X-Box was Halo, but to be fair, that's changing. The new Ninja Gaiden game, for example, is an X-Box exclusive.

Quote:But if you really want some bang for your buck, upgrade to Sega Genisis.
There isn't really any point in actually buying a Genesis (or any of the old consoles) since you can play the games with emulators. Once you figure out how to get ahold of the roms, you've got every game at your fingertips.
I would definitly recommand Gamecube.

Its small.
It has graphics much better than ps2, and as good as xbox.
It has small discs, that lower the loading time.
It is cheap, much cheaper than both the ps2 and xbox.
It has more than 3 games acctually, and a lot of them are great. (zelda,metroid&mario is of course the best)
It has comfortable controls

As I said, it is cheaper than the others and cost just around $100. But if you want the best of the best, buy this one:

[Image: pan_gcn_right_small.jpg]
It is a Panasonic Q, a Gamecube with DVDplayer.[Image: w00t.gif]

--

I dont have any problems with comparing consoles. After all, you DO play more than 2-3 games, and the different consoles have different preferences. You wouldn`t choose to buy a nes just because it has splinter cell.

ps. if you are considering a xbox, take my tip; buy a computer. Its the same thing, has the same games, just much better. The ps2 and zelda has at least games that are consoles-only.
By all means marry. If you get a good wife you will become happy, and if you get a bad one you will become a philosopher.