LotR: RotK
ShadowHM,Jan 9 2004, 04:53 PM Wrote:There have been many of  the 'let us stretch out bedtime and have discussions about something Mom will be sufficiently interested in to let us get away with it' sessions of late that centred on the LotR.
That is soo cool :)
Quite the pattern I created. I saw the first movie twice in the theaters, the second movie once, and the third movie nonce.

While visiting some people, we decided to rent it and give it a go. I also saw Troy.

It was incredible just as the other two were.

Out of the three, I would say the first one was the best, and the third one second.

The first one made me feel the best. I enjoyed watching it the most. I cried multiple times the first time I watched it. Boromir's death battle was moving. It made me feel so merry to watch Gandalf in the first movie. I just did not feel moved in such a way when he returned. (The reasons are obvious, but I just wanted to comment on the differences of his emotional impact.)

For the second movie, it had plenty of action, but it seemed a bit fast-paced. Perhaps that was intentional, but eh. The most emotional part was when I heard "Gollum's Song." That song is just so powerful, and although I have not fully listened to the third album, I can guess this song tops them all.

As for the final movie, the saddest scenes were at the end...when Frodo woke up to see his friends...at Aragorn's crowning.

Anyway, they were all good (despite all of the differences from the books).

One difference I must complain about is from the first movie. It is when they are trying to enter Moria. That they made Frodo figure it out...I read the possible reasons why, but that is still my biggest complaint about the movie.

Cheery bye.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Wow, you really bumped this thread up.

That said, I liked the 2nd one best, 1st one second best, and 3rd one the least. The second one had a lot going on in it, and ended in a hopeful way. The first one ended in a sadder way which I don't like, but otherwise was as good as the first one. Both these two had good action and cool locations, and a lot going on which kept me interested. The third one had too much drama in it, and the battle scenes were really boring except for the elephants. It also went by really quickly, which I don't like because it means I just used up 3 hours. The 1st and 2nd ones are really good, the 3rd one is all right.

I have read the books, but look at the movies as their own thing and don't worry about story changes.

I also saw Matrix: revolutions a little ago and liked it a lot. I don't agree with all those people who thought the matrix movies were big letdowns, they were actually very cool from my view.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Quote:I also saw Matrix: revolutions a little ago and liked it a lot. I don't agree with all those people who thought the matrix movies were big letdowns; they were actually very cool from my view.

I agree. People were "expecting" something and their expectations weren't fulfilled. I also had expectations, but after hearing so many bad reviews about the third matrix, and not really liking the second one all that much, I lost hope for the third one so when I watched it with absolute zero expectations, I was pleasantly blown away! It's my favorite of the series.

As for LotR: All three movies are so different in feel, yet share the same story. Sadly, I really can't compare one to the other because I liked each uniquely in its own way that can't compare with the others. I give them all A++'s.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:People were "expecting" something and their expectations weren't fulfilled.

Personally, I was expecting halfway decent Sci-Fi that actually made some sense. *Big* letdown in that department. For the first movie ok, I can use suspension of desbelif so that hyper-inteligent supercomputers are not willing to lobotomize their power sources so that they will never rise up against them, or any other senarios that would essentially mean that there is no movie.

But comon! Heres an idea: get actors who actually show emotion, get a plot that was wasn't rejected by Gainax for being too "out there", and use some visual effects that haven't been done to death since the first movie came out.

Neo is suppost to be a virtual god inside of the matrix, able to bend it to his will. Where are the interesting uses of every part of his environment!? If I wanted to see more Kung-Fu, Id rent Street Fighter(not the video game movie) or Crippled Master, or Master of the Flying Gillotuine.

Oh hey, and Trinity? Do you think she could have dropped the clinical detatchment when she was DYING IN THE ARMS OF THE MAN SHE LOVED?! I mean is that too impossible to even suggest? Im sorry, but if I wanted too watch people who have no idea how to act, I'd go and hang out at the V:tM LARP over at UCF.

Plot for the first movie: good, humans against machines, battle for survival, all is groovy. Second and Third: bad, machines against machines, mental control over machines in the real world, attempt at order/chaos duoality that really didnt work. In all I just think they were going for something that was *way* too deep than it needed to be, and it really showed.

Oh, and I believe this has been said somewhere before, but if Zion is able to keep and maintain "uber" technology and high-yeild munitions, why cant they get a textiles factory working? Is it too much of a stretch to have an entire population in clothes that werent all torn and scraggly?

Bah, they should have just left it off at the first movie, leaving it open to interpritation by the audience rather than going in and doing what they did.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Quote:Plot for the first movie: good, humans against machines, battle for survival, all is groovy. Second and Third: bad, machines against machines, mental control over machines in the real world, attempt at order/chaos duoality that really didnt work. In all I just think they were going for something that was *way* too deep than it needed to be, and it really showed.

I thought they didn't go deep enough, personally. They had so many possibilities open to them with the foreshadowing provided by the second movie: and the only one that was carried through to any reasonable extent was the damn Agent Smith bit (which was a lame plot twist, if you ask me).

Quote:Oh, and I believe this has been said somewhere before, but if Zion is able to keep and maintain "uber" technology and high-yeild munitions, why cant they get a textiles factory working? Is it too much of a stretch to have an entire population in clothes that werent all torn and scraggly?

Glad I wasn't the only one bothered by that.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
I see we have a difference of opinion.

I agree with the Neo part of using everything around him. About the love thing with Trinity, I don't really like love bits anyway, so I didn't watch that. I have an easier time going with the movie than a lot of other people so other parts that bugged them about the matrix don't bother me.

What I liked about revolutions was how they didn't just have Neo always be all powerful, because that would have been boring. All the merovingian stuff was cool because morpheus and Trinity did a lot of the work. Revolutions had good Neo parts because Neo had to think his way through what he went through. And the real world fights actually had blood, which you don't see in a lot of movies. If the matrix stuff was based on other movies I haven't seen them.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Urza-DSF,Jun 27 2004, 08: Wrote:mental control over machines in the real world
Neo's interaction with the real world was what really blew the last movie for me. The whole thing was supposed to be about the Matrix and his powers to control the programming within it. How did he come to have powers in the real world? When blinded, he was able to "see". When their ship is being approached by the horde of attack drones, he starts the chain reaction of destruction by his will alone. Huh?? What were they thinking? Well, if we can't promote him to godhood, he's dead, so god he becomes.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Jun 27 2004, 10:01 PM Wrote:Neo's interaction with the real world was what really blew the last movie for me.  The whole thing was supposed to be about the Matrix and his powers to control the programming within it.  How did he come to have powers in the real world?  When blinded, he was able to "see".  When their ship is being approached by the horde of attack drones, he starts the chain reaction of destruction by his will alone.  Huh??  What were they thinking?  Well, if we can't promote him to godhood, he's dead, so god he becomes.
There's something wrong with that??? I didn't see anything wrong. (heavy sarcasm)

I just went along with the movie and didn't worry about how it happened. I figured Neo learned to sense electrical energy and that's how he "saw" and that's what the orange stuff was. Although the sentinal going through Neo was too far out, but I didn't really worry about that.

They should have stuck the whole mess into a second matrix and called it a day.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
What I thought was funny about the Matrix sequels is that they squashed most of the storyline stuff into the encounter with the Architect. He talked so quickly, as if to get past the action-less stuff as quick as possible. They even stuck in clips of action during this scene, lol.

But yeah, I wasn't happy with the storyline/logic of the sequels. The action/effects were about as expected though.
Less QQ more Pew Pew