Fixing Brass
I have nice brass belt buckle (it's a Philmont buckle, if that means anything to anyone) and it's broken! I caught it on something and the wire loop on the back that the belt goes through broke off. It's still attached on one end, and I bent it into shape so it still holds my pants up for the most part. :P

Anybody know what you can use to fix brass? I tried soldering and epoxy because that's what was handy, but neither worked. If anyone knows how to fix it, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
I know exactly what Philmont is. :) Did you go to Urraca Mesa?
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
What kind of solder did you use and what do you mean by it didn't work?
I used some lead-free solder for plumbing. It didn't hold at all. Maybe I didn't let it heat up enough, or maybe it was the wrong kind of solder. My soldering skills are sub-par, but I'll try again later, never hurts to try a few extra times.

@Pakman: Didn't go to Urraca Mesa. I was in North and Central country, and did Baldy during the last few days of the trek and hiked in over the tooth. I'd love to go back, but it costs so much I don't see it happening anytime soon. :( I also don't have time, as I staff two camps during the summer and usually go for a week of high adventure with the troop.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
It sounds to me that you didn't indeed heat it up enough. Lead-Free is a better way to go than lead solder, you may also want to look at getting some silver solder (jewellers use this). Good luck. :)
A Philmont buckle! I have one of those :). I hardly ever wear it though.

I went to Philmont the summer of '97 and enjoyed it so much that I went back two years later. I'd love to go back again, but since I started college I've only been to one or two troop meetings. First time there, we climbed Mt. Phillips then made a loop down south and came in over the Tooth. Second trek, we started farther north and hit Baldy and then came in over the Tooth again. I never hiked Urraca Mesa, but I did see it and of course I heard the stories.

Great times and a good excuse to not take a shower for ten days :P. Best of luck fixing your buckle. If you can't, you can always order a new one by mail.

--Copadope