Unsubstantiated rumour or point of fact?
RE: Occhi

Considering that I rarely post in political threads (because I know I'm not exactly the most up-to-date-on-current-events guy) I figured it was about time I took a dip and stuck my feet in my mouth (so to speak).

So, take it as a semi-witty non-sequitor (sp?), and nothing more. :P

Oh, and also because I'm sick of the incredible level of stupidity here in the States. I forget which late-night show it was (I want to say Leno), but someone did the "ask people on the street" bit, asking pedestrians who was responsible for September 11th, and about 80% of the responses that were shown were "Saddam Hussein." ARGH! :angry:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Occhidiangela,Dec 16 2003, 07:44 PM Wrote:I suppose the caveat to Mr Stewarts comment would be "who had nothing to do with September 11 as far as we know."
I thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../14/wterr14.xml
Last weekend I say an interview where Senator Lindsey Graham (who sits on the Select Committee on Intelligence), seemed to be indicating that something more substantial linking Iraq to terrorists would be released soon. Of course the idiot interviewing him didn't pick up on it and redirected the conversation to "Will the capture of Saddam make our troops safer?" Blegh.

I was going to reply to Warblades comment though as well, but your link highlights my thought. Without State sponsors, terrorists would not be as successful. They are successful in Iraq right now due to post war chaos, an administrative power vacuum, high availability of ordinance, but also because there are groups in Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran, and Jordan who can smuggle in personel, and material support for a terrorist insurgency. It is due to the existence of all the training camps (Iran, Libya, Yeman, Somolia, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. ), and material support that nations gave to these groups that makes them so virulent. So while Saddam may not have been directly involved in 911, he and his ilk are indirectly responsible for sustaining the terrorism movement.

How many young Palestinians blew themselves (and a bunch or innocent Isreali's) up due to Saddam's blood money?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

What time is ti?
If the sources pan out, that article appears to point to more evidence of further Regime support to well established terror networks. The war on terror policy is not just about payback against Osama, it is a pro active stance to going after terror networks the world over. Ambitious, to say the least, and possibly Quixotic.

I had heard that Saddam had, or one of his henchman, Abu Nidal assassinated, which resulted in the finding of a "suicide" Abu Nidal with four bullet wounds in his head. Not sure if that is founded in fact.

So, on the one hand, his folks take out Abu Nidal, who they had once either actively helped, used as a tool, supported, or just "lived with."

Geee, that sounds sorta familiar . . . Noriega anyone? :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
A short bio on Abu Nidal

Iraqi report of the circumstances of his suicide.

Clearly, Fatah - The Revolutionary Council are at least one terrorist organization that still has cells within Syria, Libya, Iraq, Iran, Jordan and possibly Saudi Arabia. They appear to be a group that shifts its loyalties to whomever is buying their services.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I don't believe the official Iraqi assertions, nor do I believe the ranting of the Abu Nidal remainders who claim it was an assassination. The official Iraqi version, given the nature of Bagdad Bob and others, could be exactly true, or it could be a cover story for him being taken out for political convenience.

Who knows?
In Memory of Pete
Considering how politically hot that region is, I think one needs to exercise extreme "culpable deniability" when one decides to eliminate a prominent leader, even when they are a scum bag like Abu Nidal. He still has alot of dangerous associations you do not want as life long enemies. Then again if faced with "Iraqi Interrogation" one might decide that suicide is the better solution. At least that way you can insure your death is quick and painless. Anyone for a nice bath in hot acid?

EDIT: This Reply For Honkers

Just to make sure you know who is being called out, and why. I assume, from your lack of demonstrated wit, that you are unlikely to use the forum's threaded view. /EDIT

With a two letter word, how hard is it to get the letters in the word "it" in the correct order, in a post that is only four words long?

Clean up your act, or shut up and leave. :angry:
In Memory of Pete
;) I was going to reply to Mr. Honkers, but after I composed a reply to his reply I decided against it. I just didn't think he would get IT. I thought, hmmm, name is Honkers, in an obvious reference to... Canadian Geese, right? Or maybe, a nod to those people on the road who do not like his driving. I reconsidered then, in the belief that he is just another clueless, witless, spammer who is more interested in the sounds that come from his own orifices, than interacting with *real* people. I just didn't think that Mr. Honkers was interested in how to spell, or edit a post, and I doubt he gives a rats arse about what we think.

But Occhi, you are worth replying to and I know I feel better actually being able to converse with you, and all the other great people at the Lounge who take the time to "get it".

Oh, and one last nit for Mr. Honkers -- the "PRECEDENCE" for spelling our Commander in Chief is "PRESIDENT".

Edit: Oops. I wish one could edit subject lines... Ack.

kandrathe,Dec 18 2003, 05:42 PM Wrote:;)  I was going to reply to Mr. Honkers, but after I composed a reply to his reply I decided against it.  I just didn't think he would get IT.  I thought, hmmm, name is Honkers, in an obvious reference to...  Canadian Geese, right?  Or maybe, a nod to those people on the road who do not like his driving.  I reconsidered then, in the belief that he is just another clueless, witless, spammer who is more interested in the sounds that come from his own orifices, than interacting with *real* people.  I just didn't think that Mr. Honkers was interested in how to spell, or edit a post, and I doubt he gives a rats arse about what we think.

But Occhi, you are worth replying to and I know I feel better actually being able to converse with you, and all the other great people at the Lounge who take the time to "get it".

Oh, and one last nit for Mr. Honkers --  the "PRECEDENCE" for spelling our Commander in Chief is "PRESIDENT".

Edit:  Oops.  I wish one could edit subject lines...  Ack.
You are most likely right, but at least I did not cast pearls before swine, but rather threw a rock at one. :D
In Memory of Pete