bean counter character
I have been playing quite a bit of classic Diablo recently, both solo multi player and single player. I have been using my character, BeanCounter, to tally kills through all the solo multi games. I start up a saved single player BeanCounter game then switch to a new multi player game without leaving Diablo. This carries the count into the new game. When I'm done I then start a new single player game with BeanCounter and save it immediately to hold the count for my next multi player session.

Finally on to my question - Is there any way to include my other single player games into the tally of monster kills? It seems that as soon as I load another saved single player game then I am back to the count I was at when that game was saved. Am I correct in this observation? It seems that if I start a new single player game I start out with the current tally but as soon as I save a single player game it will only, from that point on, reflect the addition of the kills from that run through the dungeon, even if the bean counter procedure is followed prior to loading the single player save.

Geez, is that post convoluted enough? :blink:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I'm not sure the process you are taking, but it sounds like you are loading your counts, then loading another single player game save. If you are indeed loading a second game, it will overwrite the current kills just like how the bean counter overwrites the current kills (none) with the number of kills you have saved.

First, load your kills like normal and return to the player select screen. With your SP character, you'll have to start a new game if you want to count kills with him. Once a new game is made, save it. Now your SP game (that you will be playing) should have the kill counts loaded up and saved, so if you need to reload that game it will still have the high kill counts.

The problem with this though is that unless you want to keep restarting your kill counter in a session, you won't be able to reload your SP character much. I don't think it would be worth the effort.

P.S. How many kills are you up to? I'm rounding 13500 BK kills, 10000 Advos and about 4500 for all other hell monsters.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Yep, that is pretty much what I figured was happening.

I guess the only way to include most of the single player kills in the tally is to start a new game with BeanCounter and save ONLY if I did the BeanCounter load-new single player game procedure first. With my luck though, I would end up screwing up the load-new-save cycle and end up resetting BeanCounter's tally. Also, since I rarely sit and play long enough to get through a whole game, I would miss some of the quests and that, after all, is the reason I play single player at all.

My counts are still quite low. I've only been using BeanCounter for a few days. I didn't think about it when I first started back into Classic Diablo this time. When I used to play a bunch, I had been doing the same thing with my solo multi player games and had some high counts, but I don't think they were as high as yours.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
can you explain that procedure to me again, i want to use it in the mod i play, (until sombody can write code to make it save properly to the mp save file) and I am n ot sure i understand how it works....
The wind has no destination.
Saving Kill Counts
-----------------------

The procedure as I see it (correct me if you see anything wrong):

The first time you play your multi player character and want to tally kill counts:

-Start the game(s) as always and play through for that session
-When done with the game gather up all your goodies as you would any other time you finished a game
-Instead of selecting Quit Diablo from the menu, select New Game
-Cancel out of each selection until you get back to the screen for single or multi play
-Select single player
-Select new hero and create your kill count character
-When the game is started, don't bother playing
-Selct save game from the menu
-Quit Diablo

All games after that which you want to tally:

-Select single player
-Load your saved game for your kill counter character (not new game)
-When the game has loaded select new game from the menu
-Cancel back to the single or multi player selection
-Start your multi player game (any difficulty)
-When done with session (can be any number of multi games but no single player loads) select new game
-Cancel back to single player selection
-Pick your kill counter character but select new game NOT load saved game (load will revert kill count to that save)
-When new game with kill counter character has started, select save game

That is how I do it. It seems to work but YMMV. ;)

Playing Single Player at Higher Difficulties
----------------------------------------------------
(I've included this just in case somebody doesn't know it is possible)

While there is no difficulty setting when playing single player games of Classic Diablo, it is possible to play with monster attributes and drops equivalent to Nightmare and Hell Difficulties. The only reason I can think of for doing so (and why I do it) is to play the quests that are given you in single player. Since it requires a multi player character capable of playing those difficulties, quests are the only thing to be gained.

-Start a multi player game of Nightmare or Hell difficulty (character must be of sufficient level to start game)
-Select new game from menu
-Cancel back to single player selection
-Start a new game or load a saved single player game
-The single player game is now playing as if you had set the difficulty equivalent to the last multi player game
-The difficulty does not save with the character so this must be done each time you play
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I have added this post to Freshman Diablo. If you see anything in error, please let me know so I can make the change there as well.

Thank you.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."