language and the internet
Count Duckula,Dec 16 2003, 12:51 PM Wrote:PS: Occhi, celebrated paper/portfolio/exam finish with the first ever Guinness/Smirnoff study break. Guinness sure packs a punch...
I highly recommend Jagermeister if you're looking for some post-exam relax time. Damn that's good stuff.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:PS: Occhi, celebrated paper/portfolio/exam finish with the first ever Guinness/Smirnoff study break. Guinness sure packs a punch...

I smell a commercialk jingle in there somewhere:

Guinness sure packs a punch
It's a glass of joy and lunch
Slow pour stout with foamy head
Drink a loaf of Irish bread!

Now, if I could just get the tune right . . .

Guinness, it's not just for breakfast anymore! :D

The Atkins Diet? Bah, how about the Guinness Diet!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 16 2003, 07:54 PM Wrote:Guinness, it's not just for breakfast anymore! :D

The Atkins Diet?  Bah, how about the Guinness Diet!
It was the Guinness/Smirnoff study break because the Guinness was like drinking a loaf of bread. I eventually switched to the Smirnoff. :P

Getting back to my paper, I find that I no longer HAVE a paper. I'm currently missing a significant portion of my hard drive. I don't know where it went, I don't know why it's acting like that, and I'd love to have my writing files and program files back. (Comp Services isn't doing anything--they told me they shut down during exams because people wanted to go home for the holidays!)

Here's hoping it's just user error that caused everything to screw up. Maybe I can undo it. Now then, where's the rest of that Smirnoff...
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Quote:Getting back to my paper, I find that I no longer HAVE a paper. I'm currently missing a significant portion of my hard drive.

Well if it was the paper you posted here, you can cut and paste! Or even just turn in the hyperlink addy. heh

Sorry about your loss. (Never EVER trust a hard drive.)

-V
AtomicKitKat,Dec 16 2003, 11:50 AM Wrote:Wow, a parent. I didn't figure you for that. :)

But I guess it HAS been mentioned before. The lounge attracts more "mature"(physically and mentally) members than your average bnet crowd.

Jellyfish is as the name suggests. It's got a consistency similar to, I guess, cartilage? You know, when you knaw off those shiny white things on the joint of a chicken bone?

Sea urchin is pretty good too.

I'd love to try paella some day. Haggis too. Both sound fun. Can anyone tell me what a "shepherd's pie" is supposed to be? The one my mother brought home some time back didn't seem like much beyond a regular chicken pie. I was expecting something with maybe sheep guts in it. :P

Sadly, as Bob reported, they don't make it with real shepherds any more. But the pie is good, though not in a real pie shell either. In my experience it is a layer of mashed potatoes on top of ground or finely chopped cooked lamb in gravy. Many people make the dish as a way of reusing leftovers from roast lamb.

In England they are fond kidney pie. Which when I had it was served in a pie crust.

What comes to mind when you describe jellyfish is shark fin soup, which around here is very expensive and hard to find. Even though sharks, like jellyfish, wash up on the beach.

For that matter my son is actually a parent, but to my knowledge my granddaughter has not yet registered on the lounge.

Another topic is what goes into mincemeat pie.

Count, if you're still reading, did you ever find your paper?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
There's actually something that could be a vegetarian substitute for shark's fin, but I'm not gonna post it out here. Feel free to message me about it though. If you think it's marketable, let me know(a 1-5% profit share would be nice too of course! :P ). Of course, it doesn't help that I can't remember what exactly it is right now. :P
Occhidiangela,Dec 16 2003, 11:58 AM Wrote:And as we all know, Asteroids is the best twitch game ever made. :D
I thought asteroids was the classification of all non-performance-enhancing sports drugs?
Quote:In England they are fond kidney pie

That would be steak and kidney pie, I don't live in england, thud I've never had it. Go Wales - Lavabread forever (come to think of it, I've never had that either :P )

-Bob
I think it depends on whether they have any steak or not. The only time in my life that I've had kidneys (to my knowledge) was in Usk, which the Welsh, at least, consider to be part of Wales, speaking of shark fins.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
In my experience, it depends on the professor. I feel brevity, clarity, and sound construction of your presentation should be encouraged over meeting a particular word count. Mostly I found that my grades improved vastly when I started being sensitive to my audience, rather than expressing my own opinions. Meaning, I wrote the paper I knew my professor would want to read. In essence, like it or not, there is the professors way, or the wrong way.

The lesson I learned was that you need to set aside your thoughts, and regurgitate the spew that the professor believes is "the truth". In that, then I found that my University experience was more of a deception, rather than a true intellectual engagement. Why would a professor want to engage in an intelligent debate with a mere student? Yes, I harbor resentments against the class hierachy of educational institutions, and their systematic humiliation of the intellects of youth. My greatest fear for higher education is that it is more focused on teaching people what to think, rather than on how to think.

I know many people of extreme intellect who would not surrender, as I did, to that machine, and thus fought an uphill struggle to be successful without any "degree". I only made it through finally because I discovered a set of honors courses designed for the "best" students. I was not well prepared for college, and so I would not neccesarily be considered "honors" course material. But, once I talked my way in and worked my arse off to catch up to that level of work I found the level of patronization and other BS I had encountered in my other courses dropped to nil.

I actually had an honors professor call me into his office and apologize for having to give me a B on a paper. Pretty funny to me, as I had come to expect professors to be rude, condecending, and sometimes just plain mean. I still remember the biggest slam I ever got from a professor was the first Calculus test of a new semester. I remember I had not properly studied for it, but he wrote on the top "How did you get here? Just ringers?" Ouch. I dropped that class the same day, signed up for the same course at a nearby college, got an A, and transferred it back to the University.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]