Variant Barbarian Build
In the mules' tent.

"What the hell kinda name is Maces_XXXXII anyhow?"

"I dunno. Magic_IV kinda sucks too, ya know. Do I get a cool name like Magic_X? Nope. Not a chance."

"And why, just why am I carrying all this stuff?"

"I dunno, Maces. It just seems like we've been doing it forever. I got a passel of trinkets and they all glow red just like them sticks of yours. It's weird, I tell ya."

The barbarian squared his shoulders and said, "Well I, for one, am not going to take it anymore. I've got a plan and I'm leaving!" With that decision, the big fellow began flinging maces, scepters, and whatnot about with great vehemence. He would not steal his master's things, but he sure thought long before leaving the big jugs of purple elixir.

"Akara, can we talk?", asked Maces_XXXXII.

"I am Akara, High..."

"I know that."

"...Priestess of the..."

"Yeah, yeah. But..."

"...Sisterhood of the..."

"Well, could I..."

"...Sightless Eye."

"Stop."

"I welcome you, traveler..."

"Dang, what was that magic word?"

"...to our camp, but..."

"Quit."

"...I'm afraid I can but offer..."

"Exit."

"...poor shelter within..."

"Control See."

"...these rickety walls."

"Eff Ten"

"You see, our ancient..."

"Oh yeah: CLICK!"

Akara stopped in mid sentence with a confused look upon her face. She then began anew. "There is a place of great..."

"CLICK!"

"Oh, hello Maces. I apologize for that rubbish. You see it's in my contract and..., well... What was it you wanted?"

"I'd like to go adventuring like the others do."

"I'm sorry but you are only a mule. You must remain within the safety of our camp."

"But I found this scroll. It says I can go." Maces handed a small card to Akara.

With a puzzled expression, she read aloud: "Get Out of Jail Free."

"Oops. Wrong scroll. Try this one.", he said proffering another parchment.

The High Priestess read the new scroll: "The Mule Rule. A mule may become an adventurer (with restrictions) if said mule can prove their integrity. See the local spiritual leader for instructions."

Akara looked at Maces. Maces looked at Akara. Finally Akara said, "There are many evil demons beyond the camp. We've lost all contact with the Monastery. To prove yourself you must find the cathedral and enter the outer cloister. If you can find the waypoint there I will grant you permission to go adventuring. You must do this in all innocence. When you return you must not have any experience points. Also, once you leave our camp you may not return here except by way of the Outer Cloister Waypoint. This is a tall order indeed. Make your decision wisely. If you do succeed, I will grant you a new name in line with the mule adventuring rule."

"Got it. See ya later babe, I'm outa here."
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
jahcs,

Thanks.

It was that line by Crystalion ("...and get the crazy idea to actually *do something*...") that got me started on this.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
It's very well-written. It gives a reason for your character to be built the way he is. It makes the story feel more like a barbarian out slaying demons than just a guy playing a game. Bravo.

Just don't tell slashdot about him. :ph34r:
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Kartoffelsalat,Dec 12 2003, 09:12 PM Wrote:Just don't tell slashdot about him.  :ph34r:

Thanks for the feedback.

I doubt that'll be a problem. Obviously his first objecitve is to get clothed as soon as possible. (As a mule all his things were sold upon creation. He has $8.00 to his name.) Besides, how many people would be interested in a male barbarian going out to get dressed?

-ZR
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
Little Faith,Dec 10 2003, 01:29 PM Wrote:I think Bloodraven is among those few monsters who do not regenerate.
I've done quite a bit more testing on this. It appears to be mostly true but there are some sequences of events that will allow her to heal. I haven't established exactly what.

I created a new character for testing without any variant restrictions. I went as quickly as possible to the graveyard and wounded Blood Raven. No amount of standing around in the graveyard, stepping out to the cold plains, nor going to town via a. walking/running, b. town portal, or c. cold plains waypoint would affect her life. Upon return each time her life bar was exactly where it was from the fight.

Next, I went thru the underground passage and picked up the scroll of Inifuss. Due to a massive army chasing me, I wound up finding the black marsh waypoint. Then from town I went back to see Blood Raven. She was healed.

I punched her a few times, took the cold plains waypoint to the black marsh and revisited. She had not healed this time.

Went to Akara, read the scroll, and then opened the portal to Tristam but did not jump thru. I went immediately back to Blood Raven & she had healed again.

I haven't isolated exactly what the specific triggers are, but at least I think that's why we've had mixed commentary on it.

-----

Edit:

In retrospect, "Blood Raven heals sometimes." is incorrect. More appropriately: It appears Blood Raven's life bar may be 'reset' by triggering quests out of sequence.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha