era of TLA not ok by LL
"sorry, LL forum search requires only >=4 letter words, try again" (paraphrase)

I'll give ya some four letter words you #*@! search engine.

The forum search feature will not allow me to include a TLA or three letter word in my searches (like "jab").

Needless to say, I find this setting to be rather inconvenient.

My "suggestion", since that is why I'm posting here, eh?, would be to change the search feature to require 3+ letter words, rather than four.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this change is "out of your hands" vis a vis Invision hardcoding or something.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
I looked through all the admin menus and yes, this is out of my hands and unchangeable. Maybe a future release of IPBoard...it's a good idea considering the number of three-letter abbreviations we use now.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Wouldn't it be possible to use a search-engine (site) for searching though?

[Edit] 1+1+1+1=3

But still, searching for 1.10 or 1.09 is said to be "too few characters", or with quotation marks "no results found"?!?
*Bump*

I went to Invision's forums and did a search on 'search' (lucky 'search' is >= 4 letters lol). Apparently this limitation is because of MySQL. Remind me to never even contemplate using MySQL for anything.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Malakar,Feb 18 2005, 02:47 AM Wrote:*Bump*

I went to Invision's forums and did a search on 'search' (lucky 'search' is >= 4 letters lol). Apparently this limitation is because of MySQL. Remind me to never even contemplate using MySQL for anything.
[right][snapback]68350[/snapback][/right]

It's not a SQL problem. VBulletin uses MySQL, and you can set the minimum search length there manually. It's an invision board issue.
adamantine,Dec 8 2003, 04:36 PM Wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to use a search-engine (site) for searching though?

[Edit] 1+1+1+1=3

But still, searching for 1.10 or 1.09 is said to be "too few characters", or with quotation marks "no results found"?!?
[right][snapback]32257[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I do stuff like that all the time. Just go to google and do a
site:www.lurkerlounge.com <search term>

Sure this will end up searching the content page but I did a
site:www.lurkerlounge.com jab

just for giggles and only got 281 results. And it wasn't too hard to skim for what was in the forums.

But yeah, I use google to search websites without search engines all the time and on some places that do because it can often work better.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
adamantine,Dec 8 2003, 04:36 PM Wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to use a search-engine (site) for searching though?

[Edit] 1+1+1+1=3

[right][snapback]32257[/snapback][/right]

Are you suggesting that one can edit the search tool, and fool it into thinking 3 = 4?

That's interesting. Wonder if it will work.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete