One quick question about Diabloii.net
Today I've spent a few hours fighting some spyware that kept coming back and coming back and coming back... I initially thought that it might be due to something my spyware scanner isn't catching but then I realized that it only popped up when I went to Diabloii.net's forums. Is it just me or are their forums giving out spyware?
-TheDragoon
Mozilla

Should help you out on the spyware... Otherwise, I wouldn't know.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
TheDragoon,Dec 7 2003, 12:34 PM Wrote:I went to Diabloii.net's forums.
:blink:

You . . . you went to . . . oh man. :unsure:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Their sites do have ads popping up, if you don't have something that blocks ads.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Diabloii.net does seem to have a penchant for attempting to install a program by the name of "IBIS" or something similar. Using IE, I usually am given an option whether to install the program, to which I promptly say "Die, spyware scum!" and click No.

However, I have never seen anything arrive from the dii.net forums, only the main page. Do you know what brand of spyware you're actually getting? And which scanner are you using to get rid of it?
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Since I currently use Opera and block pop ups, I seems to not get anything, so it might be some pop up (add or something) that tries to install it and not the site itself. Just a though.

By the way, I just went to their main page with not blocking new windows, and I got nothing but I know that at times I get a pop up there. Never seen any attempt to install anything though.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Oh, wait, nevermind, Dragoon. I just got one of the full screen popup thingies from the dii.net forums (when trying to post a reply), and a little hunting around the forums showed that a few other people have experienced the same thing. Maybe if Konqueror (a browser that comes with RedHat) releases a version for PCs... :)
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
FenrisWulf,Dec 7 2003, 05:53 AM Wrote:Oh, wait, nevermind, Dragoon. I just got one of the full screen popup thingies from the dii.net forums (when trying to post a reply), and a little hunting around the forums showed that a few other people have experienced the same thing. Maybe if Konqueror (a browser that comes with RedHat) releases a version for PCs... :)
Just a little nit, Konqueror is just a part of the KDE desktop, it isn't Redhat specific.

Mozilla Firebird handles it pretty well, it is just those silly people who still use IE for everything (instead of only using it for the poorly coded pages they have to use at work sometimes, pages that they have no direct control over as well....) that have problems. Though I do like Konqueror.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Well, if all those people would beusing Mozilla, don't you think that spyware would also be designed for Mozilla? :P
Swiss Mercenary,Dec 7 2003, 08:20 AM Wrote:Well, if all those people would beusing Mozilla, don't you think that spyware would also be designed for Mozilla? :P
Nope, because of the way Mozilla is coded. A lot of that spyware is installed using ActiveX controls that IE just lets run (unless you want it to prompt you about just about every little thing which gets annoying). Mozilla handles that stuff a lot better (actually pretty much all other browsers do). Mozilla just has fewer exploitable issues. :)

And yeah, I saw the smile, but well you may still have been half serious. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Yeah, I finally got around to getting Firebird. It seems to block the nasty stuff from Diabloii.net so in theory, I could go back there. However, when I returned to the Druid forum I saw that they had removed my post that said I was leaving, likely because of one of the following reasons:

1. I criticized them.
2. I posted that I'd be posted at The Amazon Basin and the Lurker Lounge (but without links)

I swear, they try to dig their heads in the ground and pretend that other sites aren't out there. Oh well, enough diabloii.net bashing from me. :)
-TheDragoon
You can't mention other D2-related websites?!

You must be joking! What kind of retards do they have making the rules over there?

"Who are these people?"
- Jerry Seinfeld
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
@TheDragoon:
They actually deleted your post? Blah. Must have been a wandering admin; usually, Garbad would be fairly understanding about that sort of thing, especially considering your numerous contributions to the Druid cause.
[wcip]Angel: DII.net is a business (aka plzclickouradspam), and mentioning something which drives away the customers can (and will be) stopped.
Well, I don't want any special treatment just because of what I've done, but I think it was kind of sad that they actually deleted my post. Now people won't know where I've gone or why I'm not hanging around unless they happen to read other sites like I do.

Plus, my post wasn't really offensive or hurtful. I just said that I thought I was getting spyware from Diabloii.net, it was messing up my computer and that I was going to give it a week without going back to see if it really was the cause. I DID say that if they needed to get a hold of me, they could email me, AIM me or go to the Lurker Lounge or Amazon Basin to talk to me. I guess that post was against their rules or something.

*Shrugs*
-TheDragoon
adamantine,Dec 7 2003, 06:42 PM Wrote:[wcip]Angel: DII.net is a business (aka plzclickouradspam), and mentioning something which drives away the customers can (and will be) stopped.
Oops. ;) Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

In all seriousness, though, the place is good for news, if nothing else. Granted, sometimes they jump the gun, and sometimes they are a little off, but overall I think they do a remarkable job covering all the Diablo-related news. Of course, most of that is due to their inside connections, but even so. :)

Pre-Beta, that site was the best (the only? ;)). Eventually, the masses just took it down. But, they still have some good reads every once in awhile. I just don't go looking for strategy there. Only entertainment, and the occasional juicy rumor. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Hah, such is typical of them.

They also had this script, program, or whatever, that would block you if you were using a pop-up stopper for a while. It didn't seem to work in mozilla/firebird, but so I hear. :D They do delete posts that discuss pop-up blockers which is funny, because you'd think pop-up stoppers aren't some secret.

For IE users, there is always the Google toolbar. I won't give you the link, because I think it's fairly obvious. ;)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Dec 8 2003, 12:24 AM Wrote:Hah, such is typical of them.

They also had this script, program, or whatever, that would block you if you were using a pop-up stopper for a while. It didn't seem to work in mozilla/firebird, but so I hear. :D They do delete posts that discuss pop-up blockers which is funny, because you'd think pop-up stoppers aren't some secret.

For IE users, there is always the Google toolbar. I won't give you the link, because I think it's fairly obvious. ;)
Bolty, I urge you to delete this post. He is blatantly advertising a competitive product!
"One day, o-n-e day..."
TheDragoon: I mention other sites there a lot, and my posts never dissapear (although they could just be slow in removing mine; I don't really check a week later if they're there).

I suppose since you're a respected figure there (assuming, I don't know you), if you say something like you did, this would make other people follow you/think badly about DII.net. (And this was said in their twisted mind-set kind of thinking)
@adamantine:
Just to fill you in, TheDragoon has written two excellent Wereform guides, scrapped together the first accurate weapon speed tables that Wereform Druids had ever seen, implemented new advances in Wereform speed formulas into a fancy calculator, and gave Druid Elemental Synergies a similar treatment. And he's also a cool guy. And he plays the Trombone.

So, yup. Respected figure. :)